4 stroke trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

I was at sears and I noticed they have a 4 stroke trimmer.Anyone have any experience with any 4 stroke trimmer?Curious to know if they are as strong as a 2 stroke.Thanks.

I have a 10 year old Honda UMK422LTA 4 stroke trimmer. I bought it new. I like it alot. The sears ones are heavy in comparison. Like any 4 stroke motor, they have more torque than a 2 stroke but less RPMs.

4-stroke engines are also heavier. I was seriously looking at a Honda 4-stroke trimmer, based on my excellent experience with their vertical shaft mower engines, but too many folks recommended a light 2-stroke instead. I bought an Echo 2-stroke trimmer. Mostly because of the size and weight. And there's no smoke (unlike my old Weed Eaters), so I'm happy.

I like the way sears has attachments and the way they attach.I know they're no the only one.Don't know if I'll get it .I was also wondering how they get lubricated properly when they are in the various positions they could be put in.Another thing I noticed that I didn't even knew existed are propaned fueled trimmers.Thanks

I had a troy built 4 stroke. it was nice not mixing gas, but a 4 stroke doesn't have the power or rpm of a 2 stroke so I went back to the trusty 2 stroke unit from troy built. It also is heavier then a 2 stroke

I also had a Troy-Bilt 4-stroke string trimmer for about a year (there's old posts on here about it). The engine itself was okay, it was the rest of the trimmer I hated. I'd only go Honda or other hi dollar for a 4-stroke trimmer.

Joel

How the heck would you check the oil level on a 4-stroke trimmer - they don't exactly 'sit flat' easily!

Are you guys talking about a true 4 stroke engine, or something like what Stihl has, called a "4 Mix" engine? It is a 4 stroke with valves, but it still uses a gas/oil fuel mixture for lubrication.

"The revolutionary STIHL 4-MIX® engine is the first mixture-lubricated 4-stroke engine from STIHL and combines the advantages of 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines in a single unit. Unlike conventional 4-stroke engines, which require separate systems for the fuel supply and engine lubrication, the new STIHL 4-MIX® engine is fuelled with the new 4-MIX® fuel mixture."

http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default.asp?c...mix/default.htm

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Are you guys talking about a true 4 stroke engine, or something like what Stihl has, called a "4 Mix" engine? It is a 4 stroke with valves, but it still uses a gas/oil fuel mixture for lubrication.

I noticed that the crew maintaining the 3000 acre environmental preserve behind my house all use the Stihl 4 mix. They sound great and the guys really like them.

They do have a bit of a different smell vs. a 2 stroke. Much more subtle.

Probably my next trimmer. However, my Echo shows no signs of quitting.

The Troy Bilts and Cub Cadet models (call them what they are...MTD) have great engines, but the rest of the machines are suspect. I've had more than a few come in with broken triggers because they're set up not pull in far enough to meet the shaft. When you use them, you automatically pull it that extra 1/4 inch and break the throttle cable or trigger prematurely. The other problem is the the high torque of the engines goes through lower flex "drive" shafts, especially if you put an after-market head on it. Spend the money on the Honda or high end trimmer if you simply must have a 4 stroke.

I wouldn't waste my time with propane just no power. Shindaiwa 4 stroke in my opinion is about as good as they get. Also how often do you need to change the oil on the Honda 4 stroke. On a commercial level that could be every 3 days.

Also 4 stroke are still new with more moving parts. I would opt for something like a Shindaiwa in quality. If your usage is low, I would go with a 2 stroke name brand. Down the road you might have problems with the Sears product but that's my opinion and your money spent.

I would check dealers around your area and physically handle them. Another brand that has good value is Kawasaki if available.
Echo is another.

I'm not a big fan of MTD products, but my Troy Built mower with a honda 160 is awesome. As far as trimmer go, The 4 stroke troybuilt sucked. I now run the 2 stroke and like it much better. Next time i will opt for a stihl, echo, or honda. You can't lose with any small engine honda.

I used 0-40 amsoil small engine in the 4 stroke. it ran good and started easy i just didn't like the powerband.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Are you guys talking about a true 4 stroke engine, or something like what Stihl has, called a "4 Mix" engine? It is a 4 stroke with valves, but it still uses a gas/oil fuel mixture for

The Troy-Bilts are a true 4-stroke with a tiny removable valve cover and lash adjusters that need adjusting. You basically set them on the floor or workbench to check/add oil. The other issue I had with the one I owned for awhile is; If the unit tipped or wasn't stored flat, engine oil would leak out the carb or out the exhaust. It made for a heck of a smoke show on startup. Like anything in this realm, less than ~$200 doesn't buy you an outstanding new trimmer.

Joel

We have 3, 2-Stroke trimmers. One if over 20 years old and still runs like a clock. The problem with 2-stroke is most people don't understand them or look after them.

We use Amsoil 2-Stroke oil in all of our trimmers at the 100:1 ratio and it works great and seems to produce a lot more power out of the engine without fouling the plugs.

The Honda's are obviously 'real' 4 strokes with a seperate sump, unlike the Stihl's, Echo's, Shindaiwa's, etc that use pre-mix.

They can run at any angle, including inverted. The oil is 'misted' in the sump.
I like them, we've had a UMK425 for about 5 years now and it's been totally reliable.

Why bother with a 4 stroke? What's the advantage?

Modern two cycle engines with catalytic converters, electronic ignition, lean oil/fuel ratios are designed to start easy, make lots of power with very little unwanted byproduct.

I have a number of Echo two cycle products that have been excellent machines.

Can't understand the need for complexity and additional weight in OPE that four strokes bring.

Keep a two stroke clean inside and out and that's it. No oil changing, no valve adjustments. Who needs that? To me, four stroke OPE is a gimmick.

Shindaiwa C-4 because of EPA requiring lower emissions and noise it's on the market.

The C-4 saves on fuel, less noise and reduce emissions. I've used the EB2510 blower which is their lower output C-4 stroke engine. It has a lot of torque, it works a little different than a 2 stroke which has high RPM. For a hand held blower it packs a good punch. It's the highest performing hand held I've used.

It's more in line for high end users with many hour usage. It wouldn't be cost effect if it sits..in that case pick up a lower priced 2 stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back