4 or 2 Conti DWS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I had them installed last weekend. Too early to form an opinion, but the initial butt dyno says they're slightly more noisy and busy than the departing Conti Pro Contacts. Can't comment on dry/wet/snow traction yet.

CEC1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Update: I had them installed last weekend. Too early to form an opinion, but the initial butt dyno says they're slightly more noisy and busy than the departing Conti Pro Contacts. Can't comment on dry/wet/snow traction yet.

You gave me a fright! (quoting from the Parent Trap)

I saw the 2 different stripes and just about panicked. I thought for sure you were going to have a tranny doing a deep 6.

That's when I looked at the earlier posts and saw the vehicle had a staggered fitment.
Whew.

::shakes finger:: Don't do that again!!

OK. Time for another story from Barry's never-ending story about tires.

Last week I got a call from a Cadillac dealer on a 2008 AWD. He had installed a new set of tires and within a week the guy was back with tranny noise. The tech diagnosed this as tires with different diameters - about 0.4". Same size, same make, same model, same speed rating, but different plants. They called to ask about next steps.

I arranged to have the tires shipped to me. They arrived today!

Not only different plants but the date codes were only 8 weeks apart - AND - the earlier tires were made of rayon with a single nylon cap while the later tires had polyester and 2 cap plies.

And I could see the difference without even mounting the tires up.

Arrgh! $10K to fix everything! Check request will circulate on Monday. Double Arrgh!! How could we have done that??!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I saw the 2 different stripes and just about panicked.

What do these stripes mean?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I saw the 2 different stripes and just about panicked.

What do these stripes mean?

The stripes are a way for the factory to conveniently see if the correct tread component is being used when the tire is built. Further downstream, it becomes an easy way to assure that all the tires in a stack are the same.

I am so tuned to looking for odd things, that those stripes just jumped off the screen at me.

With the AWD setup, you're almost obligated to replace all 4. If you only do 2 and the AWD setup fails, it is incredibly expensive to fix.

Plus many tire dealers won't do 2 on an AWD.

Have to agree here. On my AWD Jag 40F/60R, I kept on being told by more than one reliable source that tires on an AWD should ALL be changed at the same time and be of the same size as originally engineered by the manufacturer or it may cause some serious, and potentially expensive damage to the AWD system.

Originally Posted By: BritGerCarLuvr
With the AWD setup, you're almost obligated to replace all 4. If you only do 2 and the AWD setup fails, it is incredibly expensive to fix.

Plus many tire dealers won't do 2 on an AWD.

Have to agree here. On my AWD Jag 40F/60R, I kept on being told by more than one reliable source that tires on an AWD should ALL be changed at the same time and be of the same size as originally engineered by the manufacturer or it may cause some serious, and potentially expensive damage to the AWD system.

Oh.... and have the Conti DWS on the AWD Jag, the BMW Z4 and the C240. Running ContiSport Contact on the C300 & the extraordinary Conti Extreeme DW on the Supersport Jag. I LOVE Continental, never had a problem and the traction in all conditions is exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back