4 foot LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they work with the existing fixture. Most bulb holders will take both T12 and T8 bulbs.

Instant on and no flickering.

353-1432-M.jpg

Is the housing unbreakable or at least break resistant? Would like to put some in the car hauler and in the camping canopy

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are these just plug and play? The lights in my garage aren't too keen on working because it's so cold out lately.

I installed these in the house utility room and garage. Mine required a simple internal rewire to negate the ballast and starter ( in the existing florescent fixture) since one end of the new LED is just a dummy. Much more light, no flickering and promises less power consumption. Directions for the rewire should be in the LED box.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Is the housing unbreakable or at least break resistant? Would like to put some in the car hauler and in the camping canopy
They are glass like a regular 4 footer. You can get plastic sleeves to go over the bulbs.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are these just plug and play? The lights in my garage aren't too keen on working because it's so cold out lately.

I installed these in the house utility room and garage. Mine required a simple internal rewire to negate the ballast and starter ( in the existing florescent fixture) since one end of the new LED is just a dummy. Much more light, no flickering and promises less power consumption. Directions for the rewire should be in the LED box.
These are plug and play. No rewiring needed.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They are glass like a regular 4 footer. You can get plastic sleeves to go over the bulbs.

I have some sleeves but a drop makes the internal bulb toast. Camp clutz. Bouncing around the trailer when empty we take the bulbs out of the housing.
will try and check them out tomorrow and I see Lowes is selling CFL bulbs $2.50 for a 6 pack

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

I have some sleeves but a drop makes the internal bulb toast. Camp clutz. Bouncing around the trailer when empty we take the bulbs out of the housing.
will try and check them out tomorrow and I see Lowes is selling CFL bulbs $2.50 for a 6 pack
I have seen florescent bulb holders that have a turn to lock feature to keep the bulbs from failing out.

I went with the Toggled units from Home Depot. Happy with them. I did have to rewire, but since I put in two tubes per housing, I had enough wirenuts to do the job (each tube has a pair, and my housings had two ballasts to drive four tubes). More expensive than the other ones, but I read a number of reviews that indicated that the LED's needed electronic ballasts to work properly. I had magnetic ballasts and when I factored in the cost for new ballasts this was the cheaper option. Plus I have to think that, going forward, it really should be ballast-less will win. Just move the electronics into the tube.

When faced with the same situation, I just replaced the whole fixture with a new one that used LED's. Had to mail order them from Home Depot's website, but installation was relatively easy and I'm glad I didn't try to reuse an old ballast either.

These bulbs require the electronic ballast so a magnetic one will not work. There is a PDF you can download from the site I posted and it includes the ballast that work.

Magnetic ballast are watt hogs anyway.

I just finished installing 100 feet of LED 4 foot $40 shop lights from Home Depot. They link end to end, are so simple to install. 2 hooks, then connect the next, down the row, and just plug in one end. I installed 25 4 foot fixtures in my 26 x 32 garage in 3 hours! Quiet, good color, and bright. 80,000 Lumens total.

Last edited:
Installed 2 x 4' LED tubes from Costco in my 25 year old fluorescent tube fixture
No rewiring needed - just plug and play.
Brighter and instant on - highly recommended.

Yep, they're a no-go with magnetic ballasts and I've had them not be able to fire with some cheapo electronic ballasted T8 fixtures. It's hit/miss with the plug-n-play units. Much less margin of error with the ballast bypass ones.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Yep, they're a no-go with magnetic ballasts and I've had them not be able to fire with some cheapo electronic ballasted T8 fixtures. It's hit/miss with the plug-n-play units. Much less margin of error with the ballast bypass ones.
I'm two for two. Both fixtures are less than 5 years old though.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I just finished installing 100 feet of LED 4 foot $40 shop lights from Home Depot. They link end to end, are so simple to install. 2 hooks, then connect the next, down the row, and just plug in one end. I installed 25 4 foot fixtures in my 26 x 32 garage in 3 hours! Quiet, good color, and bright. 80,000 Lumens total.

I replaced two fluorescent fixtures with those $40 LED shop light fixtures from the Home Depot. Love them. Just takes half a second for the lights to turn on.

25 fixtures in your garage has got to be very bright. It's not too bright?

I bought a 6 pack of 5000k LED tubes of Amazon for $42 a month ago and am very happy with them.
I have 5 two tube lights in the garage that were in the house when I moved in 20 years ago. They all are having ballast problems (flickering, buzzing, not turning on every time, going through bulbs quickly) so I figured it was time. The ones I got could be used with ballasts, but seems many were having issues, and I figured since they were going bad, just take them out.
Lights are super bright, no noise or flicker at all, and turn on every time (there is a 1/2 second delay from when the switch it on till the lights turn on, no big deal though).
I need another 12 bulbs to finish the house. 3 housings inside (2 two tube lights and 1 4 tube light) and 2 more two tube fixtures in the garage.
I am going to order some clear lens ones next time and see if they are brighter for the garage. I debated getting 4000K for inside, but my wife said she likes the whiter 5000K. I may put the 5000k in the kitchen first before ordering more to see if she really is OK with that white a light inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back