4 Cylinder Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this technology has a lot of potential for the future.

Volkswagen Golf GT TSI - Supercharged and Turbocharged 1.4 litre

1.4 litre 4 cylinder
170hp at 7000rpm
147lb/ft at 1500-6000rpm

10.0:1 CR
36psi boost pressure
39.2mpg city, 47.9mpg highway.
0-60 in 8.2 seconds in a 3000lb Golf.
 -

quote:

Originally posted by Bret Chase:
[/qb]

International Harvester had a "Half Eight" in the 70's.. half of a 348, IRRC. my cousin had one in a Scout, it was suprisingly torquey and tough mill... not something you could say about the biodegradable body. [/QUOTE]

It was a 152, half of a 304.

quote:

Originally posted by jtantare:

Keep in mind those figures are quoted in Imperial MPG.

170hp is also a huge amount of power for such a small vehicle. I wonder what sort of efficiency one would be looking at if they were to optimize the engine around a 100-140hp power requirement?

quote:

I think this technology has a lot of potential for the future.

I have to laugh looking at that - a roots blower and a turbo. Make it a 2 stroke diesel and you'd have a '80s vintage series 92 detroit...

I've owned 4 cylinder Turbo Volvo's since 1981 and have enjoyed driving them. The first was 130 HP 2.1 liter the second 2.3 liter had about 190 HP and the one I have now 2.3 liter has a base HP of 160 and with a snap of the rocker switch on the dash energizes the Saab APC system which pushes the power up to 220 HP.
I have a 24 valve I6 2.9 liter with 181 HP that I like a lot. But the 4 cylinder 2.3 liter turbo will always be my daily driver. The 4 cylinder is hauling around a 3100 lb wagon and the I6 is hauling around a 3500 lb sedan. Difference between the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder is 4 mpg city and 2 to 3 mpg highway.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

quote:

Keep in mind those figures are quoted in Imperial MPG.

170hp is also a huge amount of power for such a small vehicle. I wonder what sort of efficiency one would be looking at if they were to optimize the engine around a 100-140hp power requirement?

Good call. So 32mpg city, 40 highway. Still pretty good considering the 2.5 litre 5 cyl only gets 30mpg highway with less power.
I hope this engine can pass California emissions. Could be next best thing next to a TDI if it ran on 87 gas.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Camry 4 - 24/34 - 154hp
Galant 4 - 23/30 - 160hp
Accord 4 - 24/34 - 166hp

Malibu V6 - 22/32 - 201hp(211 with VVT)

What's the point of making more power when you make worse mileage? Looks like the pushrod V6 is the most efficient. Would you give up 40hp for 2mpg? If not there's the 4 cylinder malibu too.

Lets see how the Maliby does 5 years from now on resale value. Or better yet, I would love to see the malibu go 250k miles without major repairs.

The typical foreign car will have major repairs, so what's your point?

This thread wasn't about whether a 4 banger is better then a V6 or V8. It was about how 4cylinders have come along way and do a nice job today.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
The typical foreign car will have major repairs, so what's your point?

You can sell it for lots of money before it needs major repairs because of the high resale value?
dunno.gif

I have to speak up for the Japanese maker with little respect. If you haven't driven a Mitsubishi with the 160 hp MIVEC 2.4 you should hold judgement. Very strong motor. Not as rapsy as Honda's 160 hp offer. I would actually call it zippy in city traffic and it pulls the small SUV outlander on cross countyr cruises at 80-85 with comfort on the highway. My wife prefers driving it to the BMW z-4 simply becasue it's a more practical driver and not a cop magnet.

quote:

Good call. So 32mpg city, 40 highway. Still pretty good considering the 2.5 litre 5 cyl only gets 30mpg highway with less power.
I hope this engine can pass California emissions. Could be next best thing next to a TDI if it ran on 87 gas.

Yes indeed. 170 horsepower, and no losses from the transaxle (it uses a lossless automatic). Would be like a 200hp traditional automatic tranny car.

Heck, in a car that size, with the torque figures as given, even a 90 hp engine would prove quite usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back