4.7 Dodge v-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 and I have never had an issue with sludge. The engine has 119,000 miles on it and it runs great. I changed the factory fill at 600 miles and went with synthetic from then on. They are both good engines.

If the MPG difference is negligible, I don't see why you would get the 4.7L over the hemi.

I absolutely love'd the 4.7L in my Grand Cherokee, but I always wished for a bit more displacement when pulling larger trailers.. such as our ski boat.

If it was my money, I'd get the hemi.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
390 and it feels like it through the seat of your pants, take one for a ride. The sound alone will give you a woody.

I own one. It's nothing compared to my Cummins. Nothing like 350 Hp and 620 Foot pounds of torque stock, plus I've got a Bully Dog programmer that adds 120Hp and 200ftlbs or so it says. Whatever it adds the truck is like a cruise missle on "extreme" mode.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GOPHER FREAK
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
390 and it feels like it through the seat of your pants, take one for a ride. The sound alone will give you a woody.

I own one. It's nothing compared to my Cummins. Nothing like 350 Hp and 620 Foot pounds of torque stock, plus I've got a Bully Dog programmer that adds 120Hp and 200ftlbs or so it says. Whatever it adds the truck is like a cruise missle on "extreme" mode.
We are talking major money to upgrade to a Cummins, like 10 grand, unless you really need it to tow, thats a pretty pricey joy ride.

I had a 2003 dakota with the 4.7 manual trans and sold it with 150,000. I ran great, no sludge, and it didn't burn an ounce of oil in 6,000 mile OCI's. I currently own a 2002 QC dakota 60,000 miles with the same engine and the auto trans . This truck has plenty of power and I get 23-24 mpg at 60 mph. I can easily get 20mpg at 70. This is by far the best all around truck I have ever owned and I wouldn't trade it for anything but a diesel.

That being said... If I was getting a full size truck I would go for the bigger engine. I don't think the mpg will be there with the extra weight of the full size and the hemi will have a noticeable power difference.

The 4.7 is the perfect engine for the smaller dakota.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna

Panzerman I don't know where your getting your info, but the 4.7L DOES have MDS, and have exactly the same kind of emissions equipment the 5.7L gets, and is just as bulletproof. The only difference is that the 4.7L has a bit less power. And stop spreading falsehood, the 4.7L is not a sludge engine.

Rudolphna;

Maybe you should check your sources out a little better before you question others so you are sure you got your own facts straight. That is just friendly advice and not meant to be nasty btw. The 4.7L does not now nor has it ever had MDS. Only the 5.7L. No MDS on the 4.7L 99-07 nor 08+ in the new version.

And if you take the time to do your research on 4.7L Sludge( go to any search engine and enter Dodge 4.7L Sludge and then sit back and read away )you will see that engine has had a LOT of issues with sludge. I owned one( earlier model = 03 )and it was a decent engine but they were notorious for sludge even with proper maintenance due to the [censored] PCV system.

I am a HUGE MOPAR guy so I am not just bashing the engine because I am loyal to another brand. The 4.7L most definitely has a sludge history. Maybe not in the new 08+ version but the earlier one absolutelly did.

Originally Posted By: gmh101357
I have my heart set on a buying a Dodge quad cab tomorrow
with the 4.7 V-8 but I read the engine is a sludge maker.
Should I dump the break-in oil at 500 miles and start running
PP or RP at 500 miles or wait till 3k or so and then change it.
What is the best oil for this engine??
Help!!!Its the last new car I will ever buy so it has to last

I guess everybody wants the Hemi and he giving me 3k off to get the 4.7....has lots of 4.7 setting around the lot
Is the hemi that much better engine?

To the OP;

1 - in response to your original post. The older( 99-07 )4.7L at just 235 HP was vastly under powered for the Ram and especially the QC( I know I had one ). The newer 4.7L at a much improved 310 HP is a lot better suited for the heavy Ram trucks. However, with that said I would personally opt for the HEMI as I have done on my last 2 Rams over the 4.7L. More power, better resale value, and MPG is as good or even better with the 5.7L( not due to MDS which is useless but because it does not have to work as hard to move those heavy trucks due to the increased power ). Hands down I would take the 5.7L over the 4.7L of any year.

2 - In respponse to your second post about the $3K off. There is a current $2500-$3000 rebate available on the Ram truck's( $3000 for Crew Cab models & $2500 for Quad Cab's ) according to the Ram site. Be sure that is an honest or extra $3K being taken off by the dealer as incentive to move that 4.7L and not a bunch of number manipulation to make you THINK you got a special deal with a factory rebate being shown as money taken off by the dealer. These rebates apply to 5.7L trucks too. Make them show you a break down of the price including rebates and any money they have taken off the sticker( shown individually not grouped together )to be sure they are not trying to pull a fast one with a mfg rebate. VERY COMMON trick by underhanded dealerships.

The new Ram is a great truck and both the 4.7L and 5.7L are pretty durable. I personally would never buy a 4.7L again after owning a HEMI. As said the power is better, the MPG is as good( better for me ), and resale is a big difference between them in favor of the HEMI. Just recently they had a no cost HEMI upgrade promotion. I think it is over but may be worth investigating.

Good luck with whatever truck you choose.

Oh, about oil. Changing the FF at 500 miles and going to a synthetic is fine. PP is a very good oil and so is RP. I run RP in my vehicles and my Rams and they have always done great on it. Unfortunately, with a new Ram under warranty RP does not meet a critical aspect( to Chrysler not your engine )of your warranty needs. It does not carry the API Starburst seal as required by Chrysler. RP is API certified but only to API service level SL.

To carry that Starburst seal, in addition to meeting certain emissions and fuel economy standards, the oil must 1st be certified to the highest current API service level which at this time is SM. So RP, while a very good oil, is not warranty acceptable for your new truck. Just an FYI for you. If you really want to use it they do offer a supplemental waranty where they will step in and cover any repair( engine/oil related obviously )if you are denied because you used their SL oil in a vehicle callling for SM/Starburst( conditions apply ).

Also, stick with 5W-20. The new 4.7L was built and designed to run on it not 5W-30 like earlier 4.7L's. Chrysler is VERY picky about following their requirements for stuff like this. Stay with the correct weight and change it on time. Your call on using the RP. I am using it in my 08 5.7L Ram because I feel it is worth the risk. I have a great dealer as well that will try their best to help me out if something happened. I do know however Chrysler may use that in the even tsomething internal happened to my engine as a way out.

Here is the warranty from RP( note Photobucket seems to be having issues this morning so the 2 pages/images may not show up or may take a while to appear until Photobucket gets back up to speed ).

rpslwarranty1.jpg

rpslwarranty2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gmh101357
I have my heart set on a buying a Dodge quad cab tomorrow
with the 4.7 V-8 but I read the engine is a sludge maker.
Should I dump the break-in oil at 500 miles and start running
PP or RP at 500 miles or wait till 3k or so and then change it.
What is the best oil for this engine??
Help!!!Its the last new car I will ever buy so it has to last

gmh101357,

There have been rumors that the 4.7 is a sludge maker on other forums but I can tell you it's a false claim. On my 01' Dodge Durango my 4.7 is a winner and has never had any issues of sludge what so ever!

I'd use what ever synthetic oil you want and go by the service manuals recommended service schedule. If you drive allor of short trips then it can occur. Make sure your drive it to get the oil how and circulate throughout the entire engine well and you should be fine.

Durango

Durango;

Do a search( google, altavista, yahoo, whatever ) and you will see it is not rumor or false claim. There has been a LOT of sludge issues with the 4.7L( 99-07 version anyway ).

How do you know if your engine has sludge, without opening up. There is no way of telling if you have a sludge build up until it stops or you tear it down, then its a little late.

Hi guys,

I have seen and read the post from the others regarding the sludgine issue. IF one does their oil changes on the timed schedule you should have no issues.

The pics/postings show either just bought used 4.7's that have been abused due to severe lack of maintenance on the origional owners part or origional owner just forgot to OCI the engine for several months it's due.

I've also noted the sludging issue appears to be related to an regional rather than more of lack of maintenance. I mean since I live in California the coldest I can remember might have been no less than 45 degrees during the night time. Since Californians drive longer distances the oil has a much more chance to get hot and circulate inside the engine. Perhaps some people don't drive the same distance as I do during the wrok-week.

All in all I believe as long as you change the oil on time wether it be dino/synthetic then you should be OK.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back