4.0L V6 Tacoma Filter Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok next sat I'm picking up my new '09 tacoma. Normally I am a fan of OEM or Napa Gold (wix) filters. What are most people running on this new toyota engine? Isn't the filter mounted ontop of the engine upside down? I haven't seen the engine bay yet... they had to order my truck. So I know a good ADBV is a must. Opinions for this application?

There is alot of debate on filters these days...im sure this will not be the last. I ran a TRD (AFE) oil type drop in filter for most of my Tacomas life. At 90K i swithced it out for a AFE Pro Dry...same exact construction just the a synthetic media that doesnt need oiling.

OOOOPPPPPSSSSS.....stupid me your talking about oil filters. Stick with stock filters and the filter is mounted in a nice spot forward drivers side.

Last edited:
I Normally run wix. The past two OCI's I have run Supertech. after a 5k mile OCI after sitting all night I changed the oil and the supertech was still full of oil when I unscrewed it. Good enogu. I used another one (the nice thing is that the Jeep and the Tacoma both use the same filters and I am stocking the same oil for them)

I had an 05 Tacoma with the 4.0L and the engine was extremely noisey with the OE filter under load( ie; driving ). Sounded like the top end was starved for oil. It was AWFUL! At that time many people on the Toyota boards reported the same issue. It wasn't all 4.0L's but it was a lot. Like 30% +/- of those members with the 4.0L who reported the problem on the forum. I would wager it was higher in reality but to many the noise was of no concern so they said they didn't have it. I have no idea if this still persists on the newer 4.0L's? If it does then look to a different filter.

There were a few filters that seemed to make it worse and some that made it better. I don't recall all of them but I know that on mine running a Mobil 1 filter with it's increased oil flow really helped. I had the very 1st OC done at Wal-Mart( I know I know - it was a one time thing )and they used a Fram and it was worse than the OE filter for noise. I had the oil changed again shortly after that and used the Mobil 1 filter with much better results.

I can't say this is 100% accurate but I seem to recall the Wix/Napa Gold filters were on the noisey side. Great filters and not bashing them. I generally avoid Mobil products whenever possible but it had the best track record for eliminating/reducing the noise so I tried it.

I am dead serious about this before anyone questions it. On this particular vehicle the oil filter you used actually contributed to or helped reduce engine noise.

Oh, and another thing. If you will do the OC's yourself be prepared for a fight getting that OE filter off. At least back when I had mine everyone believed Toyota hired a Gorilla to put them on at the factory. An absolute bear to get the factory installed filter off.

Last edited:
I do all my own work. Even Straight axle conversions and Gear/Locker installs and welding :) So yeah... I'll be doing my own OC's. I never heard of this oil filter noise issue... these are the things I need to find out!! M1 filters are expensive though. I'll experiment and research some. For some reason the factory installed filters always are on tight. Every new car I've worked on... same issue. Worst I encountered was a 98 F150 with a 4.2 V6. Filter came off in pieces.

One Q- were you using 5-20 or 5-30. b/c I think the newer 4.0's are calling for 5-20 now; better flow factor.

Last edited:
I have an 07 Pre-Runner and I use a Amsoil EAO57. I found a bunch of Mobil 1 filters on sale that fit my truck and will be using them in the near future. GC and the Amsoil filter is a good combo for me.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
I do all my own work. Even Straight axle conversions and Gear/Locker installs and welding :) So yeah... I'll be doing my own OC's. I never heard of this oil filter noise issue... these are the things I need to find out!! M1 filters are expensive though. I'll experiment and research some. For some reason the factory installed filters always are on tight. Every new car I've worked on... same issue. Worst I encountered was a 98 F150 with a 4.2 V6. Filter came off in pieces.

One Q- were you using 5-20 or 5-30. b/c I think the newer 4.0's are calling for 5-20 now; better flow factor.

I ran 5W-30. It was an 05 and it was spec'd for that. I only had the truck for 7 months I hated it so bad( problem after problem after problem ). Not sure when the 5W-20 started up?

ToyotaNation is where I spent most of my time when I had it. Again, way back in 05 there was engine noise issues( ON SOME of the 4.0L's )that were helped or made worse by the oil fliter used. It may be a long solved issue however? If you heard that noise from my engine you would have thought the $8.99 for the fiilter( 05 price )was well worth it.

Actually if you read this site a lot you will hear other's talk about the filter being used leading to an increase or decrease in engine noise in various vehicles. I had an 08 Chevy Equinox with the 3.4L V6 that sounded like a can of marbles with a Napa ProSelect( Silver )filter. Swapped back to an AC Delco and the noise vanished. It happens. Sometimes it is just that particular filter is defective and other times it is just a certain engine does not like that filter. Not a common thing but not a rare thing either.

Last edited:
I hear ya.... all depends on the part # that filter manufacture crosses to your application. I always try and run the biggest filter possible. On my '94 3.0 4runner I ran the "long" version napa gold. great results. L20195 is what I used to run as a long version of the L10241. Question is can you run the long filters on these new 4.0's?

Last edited:
I have decided to use what ever is spec'd for the particular vehicle and not over size it. I beleive if you did so happen to have an issue, it may come back and bite you in the [censored]. This is probably a very slight possiblity though, if any.
My amsoil rep recomended against oversizing a filter.

You may be able to run a longer filter, but it depends on whether or not you have room between the hood and filter.

Our 07 4runner with the 4.0L doesn't have any noise at all running ASL 5W30 & OEM filter. When i run out of OEM, i will go with the EAO57.

If you are going to run a different filter from OE( size )then you need to make sure the spec's match up in areas other than the obvious such as thread size and base gasket/seal diameter...

1 - Does the OE have an ADV? If so you need it. If the other filter doesn't don't use it.
2 - What is the BYPASS VAVLE PSI? Keep them rated the same.
3 - What is the MAX FLOW(GPM) Rate? Keep them the same
4 - What is the BURST PSI? Keep them the same

It is good to also try and get a filter with the same or better beta ratio and micron ratings. These are not as important as the 4 above. If the 4 above match up then the car mfg has no legs to stand on refusing warranty just because you used a larger filter. Actually, you increased oil capacity which HELPS!

A good example of this is the 03-07 Dodge 5.7L HEMI filter. You can use the Ford FL1A style filter to gain some extra oil capcity. The filters are identical on the 4 spec's mentioned( plus have the same thread and base gasket/seal diameter obviously ). Ever so slight advantage to the MOPAR filter as far as filtration spec's but it can be used no issue.

Chrysler/Dodge would have no grounds to refuse any repair just ebcause the filter was bigger. The spec's are the EXACT same. Unless the filter itself failed it would not be possible for them to show or prove it caused a failure just bacause it was larger.

Last edited:
Amsoil EA057 for me right now.
I change it once a year along with Amsoil 0w30 oil which is about at 8K miles.
I might go with a larger Amsoil EAO42 next time.

I'll be running my Napa golds. and the L20195 which is the longer version of the L10241 has the same specs as you mentioned. I went thru that yrs ago picking a longer filter for my '94 Toyota 3.0 4runner. I ran the Napa gold Longs for years w/out issues.

Who is making the Toyota filters? do they have a good beta ratio? what is their ADBV material? b/c on the 4.0, it's mounted threaded end down. I know with wix/napa gold I've never had issues and they are a well built filter.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4runner
Who is making the Toyota filters?

Denso is printed on the side of the models I've used, but depending on part number the country of origin may differ.

Quote:
do they have a good beta ratio? what is their ADBV material? b/c on the 4.0, it's mounted threaded end down. I know with wix/napa gold I've never had issues and they are a well built filter.

I don't know about the beta ratio, but I believe the filter pictures posted on this and other sites show a silicone ADBV. The engineers that designed your engine spec'd that filter for factory recommended OCI's. You can't go wrong with the factory filter for 5K, but if you're running extended OCI's, by all means run a top of the line replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back