4,000 mile oil change interval (with Synthetic) from now on.

Of course not one shred of evidence that any of that is true, in fact plenty of evidence in this thread that it is not.

One size does not fit all. This entire discussion is completely dependent upon specific engines and operating conditions. Do you have any evidence that your engine has an issue with the prior OCI?
No evidence at all! And I'm ok with it. I don't have the tools or know how to determine whether or not going 10k between oil changes was bad for my car. What I do know is that if there is even a 10% chance it was bad to run 10k, then for me to spend an additional $70 a year (assuming Mobil1 oil/ filter bought at Walmart) to do 2 oil changes that may not be called for is worth it. I don't need to squeeze out every last mile from the oil. What I need is to increase my probability of not having issues with my car. And I'm ok dumping oil that may still have useful life.

I ask this...am I hurting my car by doing 5k oil changes? Definitely no

Could I hurt my car by doing 10k oil change? maybe/maybe not....

Here's the inside of a Pentastar with 113k. Always about 7500 mile interval which is about 20% left on the OLM. I am considering just running it down to like 5% after seeing this, I don't really see the point in changing more often.

penta1.jpeg

Which oil?

A mish mash really. I guess I have done probably 14 oil changes, I would guess something like...

Edge 5w20 - 2x
PP 5w20 - 3x
QSUD 5w20 - 4x
Mobil 1 5w20 - 3x
Mobil 1 0w20 - 1x
Magnatec 5w20 (the older semi one) - 1x

Then of course the factory fill as well. I also may have used Napa syn once, but I can't remember. It would have been several years ago.

Last edited:
I don't exceed 4k either (usually 3k nowadays). Even doing 5-6k oil changes, after 100k I started seeing some deposits, I want my engine to last 500k or even a million miles, clean oil, along with sufficient viscosity is the only way to achieve that.
Yeah but it's a matter of survival when you purchase a certain brand of vehicle.

Words were from a hard headed / old timer mechanic who could or would not change and could or would not admit mistakes. That is all it is. I thought it was funny cause we "me and other mechanics" just knew those words were coming from the guy when ever an engineer or a boss would direct us to make changes or even question this man about anything.

A mish mash really. I guess I have done probably 14 oil changes, I would guess something like...

Edge 5w20 - 2x
PP 5w20 - 3x
QSUD 5w20 - 4x
Mobil 1 5w20 - 3x
Mobil 1 0w20 - 1x
Magnatec 5w20 (the older semi one) - 1x

Then of course the factory fill as well. I also may have used Napa syn once, but I can't remember. It would have been several years ago.
All quality oils. 😎

Quaker State had their problems during that era.
Known a guy who had an an old Chevelle with the 307cubic inches. Never seen a engine smoke out the tail pipe or drink more oil than that car --- still till this day. Anyone mentions a 307 and my eyes immediately roll....

Known a guy who had an an old Chevelle with the 307cubic inches. Never seen a engine smoke out the tail pipe or drink more oil than that car --- still till this day. Anyone mentions a 307 and my eyes immediately roll....
Ha Ha Ha ... LOL I owned a 1972 Chevelle Malibu with the 307cui. When I looked inside while doing a valve cover gasket change there was so much gunk in there it looked like a plastic coating. Got rid of that car ASAP.

Dunny why people use mileage for OCIs. I base all of my changes based on 3 main factors: engine fuel injection (GDI versus non-GDI), type of driving (short trip, highway, or towing) and if it has a turbo. My wife's oil is changed 125 hours which is 2,500 miles. It is the infamous Hyundai 2.0T which dilutes oil so much that my oil lab can't put a value on it. She does a lot of short trips and rarely does any highway driar.ving. Due to fuel dilution, she gets 5w40 in summer and 0w40 in winter. 125 hours on oil usually pegs the limits of the fuel dilution level but no excessive engine wear. My Elantra gets oil changed every 200 hours usually the cheapest synthetic I can purchase and although I drive 90 miles round trip commute each day at 65-80 mph, weekend chores take my average speed down to about 40 mph meaning oil is changed every 8k miles. My truck does tows 99% of the time with perhaps a short trip to the dump every couple of months. When I was using 5w40, I only changed the oil when the truck told me to. The oil service reminder usually goes off between 5000 and 7500 miles depending on how heavy I was towing. Now since I use 15w40 in summer (prefer it with oil temps as high as 248 deg F up steep CO mountain passes) and 5w40 in the winter, my oil gets changed with weather changes. 3k OCIs could be ok but depends on other factors besides mileage.

i wonder if people talk about the benefits of flossing five times a day on dental forums?
if your engine will last 300k on manufacturer OCI and the rest of the car will be trashed by then, does a shorter OCI just result in a slightly cleaner engine in a car that is otherwise still completely trashed?

The machine serving People. Not people serving machines when Additional practical utility is not being gained. Mostmof the reasoning for over servicing is to make the owner feel more secure when the act of using the vehicle puts the vehicles longevity (collisions) at more risk than any service interval can on terms of probability. not may now be more likely to lose our vehicles to damage or degraded enjoyment in ride or features from time than mechanical failure Associated with following factory Recomended service intervals.
an analogy I have is service rifles in the military being serviced (cleaned to The point of excess)for the armorers need to display, but with little effect on service life which was based largely on rounds fired.

The machine serving People. Not people serving machines when Additional practical utility is not being gained. Mostmof the reasoning for over servicing is to make the owner feel more secure when the act of using the vehicle puts the vehicles longevity (collisions) at more risk than any service interval can on terms of probability. not may now be more likely to lose our vehicles to damage or degraded enjoyment in ride or features from time than mechanical failure Associated with following factory Recomended service intervals.
an analogy I have is service rifles in the military being serviced (cleaned to The point of excess)for the armorers need to display, but with little effect on service life which was based largely on rounds fired.
What is gained by pushing OCI to 10k? Only gain I see is $50-100 a year. Take the Honda Accord with the 1.5L turbo. Huge oil dilution issue. Honda says 10k. The general public will do that. Knowing what I know now, I would change at 5k. My own Accord, not turbo but direct injection, I did 10k OCI. Car consumes oil. Decided to bring it down to 5k. The heck with wasting oil that may have useful life. If anyone here wants to pay shipping, I'd be happy to give you my very expensive used oil for free...it only has 5k on it, you can squeeze out at least another 5k from it.

This is obviously not going to change minds. I'm of the mind set 5k is good enough for me. Maybe go longer if for instance its Jan/Feb and I'm too lazy to change oil in the freezing temps.

The fact that there is a forum dedicated to this tells me all I need to know about us...OCD nutjobs :)

I just realized something that we may all have similar experience about..... I been driving and around & paying attention to autos for years. They got my attention back about 1966 or 1967. Would tag along with pops to the dealerships etc... tire shops, any time he had service done. I would hang on every word he and the mechanics discussed. Also enjoyed a very popular thing in the shops that are of course banned today! The wonderful girlie calendars they all had hanging on the shop and office walls. Mid to late 60 thru 70s. So in all these years time I can only say I know of (2) incidents of blown / failed engines. Now we all know that some people are fanatics (like me) about trying to protect and baby our machines while some others beat them up, neglect and don't even try to do the right things. Yet the highways are crammed with every auto brand available rolling on day in day out and NOT failing. Are we lucky? Are they built so much better today? (certainly they are) Does all the obsessing me and others do make a difference? I don't have a clue but I am sure I will keep up with my life long habit of spending extra dollars trying to treat my cars to top service I think makes some difference. While knowing some of what I do with my cars is a bit overboard. A life long habit.

Back