3rd time's the charm (Cruze water pump)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing this to a close: New water pump replaced under powertrain warranty. I'm hoping I'm done with replacing water pumps on this car. Time will tell.

Back alive: 1 week and this pump is leaking too. Time to get the car to another dealer since this will be pump #5. Looks like the local dealer either rushed the install or it's another bum part.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Back alive: 1 week and this pump is leaking too. Time to get the car to another dealer since this will be pump #5. Looks like the local dealer either rushed the install or it's another bum part.

Do you have bad luck, or are the dealers lot filled with these cars replacing water pumps?

Take a real good look yourself with a mirror. There may be a leak elsewhere running down on to the pump.

I still think you should diy with an aftermarket pump. Even the cheapest Chinese pump can't be any worse.

Another dealer would just install another of the same brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarkM66

Do you have bad luck, or are the dealers lot filled with these cars replacing water pumps?

Likely the installation was to blame. That's why it's set up for an appointment at a cross-town dealer. They seemed far more interested in making sure the problem was fixed than
slinging parts at the car like the local dealer is.

Already looked with a mechanic's mirror. Coolant is quite noticeable all over the underside of the pump. Not going to speculate on the cause just yet.

Last edited:
Not sure what to make of it now. The coolant level in the surge tank dropped between last week and this week, but it's steady after checking it again tonight. No new wetness in the water pump area. Looks like they just slapped a pump on without cleaning up the area. I'll clean it up some and see if there's any wetness while running a few errands before cancelling the service appointment.

Not sure what to make of it now. The coolant level in the surge tank dropped between last week and this week, but it's steady after checking it again tonight. No new wetness in the water pump area. Looks like they just slapped a pump on without cleaning up the area. I'll clean it up some and see if there's any wetness while running a few errands before cancelling the service appointment.

Mechanics oftentimes do not bleed the cooling system after opening it up because it takes too long if the car does not have a bleeder screw. So it could be the system burping air and that is the reason for level drop. I would monitor it for sure.

OT
Just last week my FIL had the turbo replaced in his Volvo semi rig and the truck shut down on him on the road. He checked the coolant level and the tank was almost empty but was full when he got the truck. The grease monkeys (Volvo dealer BTW) just filled the reservoir to the top line and called it a day.

Bumpity bump...

So I let this one slide for a year. The coolant leak stopped for a long while, and then re-appeared once winter rolled around again. This time both the water pump and upper radiator hose are leaking. Fix-it time. I'm taking advice from the folks who suggested I DIY it this time. A new upper radiator hose (Dayco), water pump (Airtex), and serpentine belt (Bando) are on order. $70 shipped from RA. The serpentine belt is threaded around a motor mount that has to come off to get at the pump. It's also about time to replace it based on mileage, so it's getting done at the same time. The hose is likely a clamp, but at $13, a new hose is cheap enough to throw on for insurance.

This will be pump #4 or so. I think I've lost count at this point. Whatever, it'll be a nice Saturday in the garage.

Do you keep a logbook for the car? I like to enter into that simple paper log all the fillups, tire depth measurements, etc. Too easy to forget, easy to pass onto the next owner.

Good luck.

I've meant to keep a log, but never get around to it. Snapping a picture or two will help some.

The 1.4L in my wife's '14 Sonic has been leaking coolant for a year now. It's a slow leak, but the coolant is definitely going somewhere.

Last year the dealer "couldn't find a leak". I've added coolant twice since then. I'm not taking that answer next time it goes in.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
The 1.4L in my wife's '14 Sonic has been leaking coolant for a year now. It's a slow leak, but the coolant is definitely going somewhere.

Last year the dealer "couldn't find a leak". I've added coolant twice since then. I'm not taking that answer next time it goes in.

I'm sorely tempted to add in some UV leak detection dye. Then when it leaks again, it'll show up fast.

The Dex-Cool compatible dye is about $10 on Amazon. Might be worth it to diagnose a bum pump or a leaky surge tank.

I'm sorely tempted to add in some UV leak detection dye. Then when it leaks again, it'll show up fast.

The Dex-Cool compatible dye is about $10 on Amazon. Might be worth it to diagnose a bum pump or a leaky surge tank.

Is this problem more prevalent in the '12 1.4s, or is it ALL of them, right up to the current '15/'16 Limiteds??

(I ask because I'm looking at a 2012 1.4 RS with ~60K on it.
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Is this problem more prevalent in the '12 1.4s, or is it ALL of them, right up to the current '15/'16 Limiteds??

wink.gif
)

More prevalent on the earlier cars. GM's made many revisions to this water pump design. A pressure test won't indicate a bum pump or soon to be bum pump.

I'd ask if the car is covered by an extended warranty on the water pump. Mine's covered until 10 years/150k miles. It's VIN-specific, so run the VIN at a nearby dealer to check. If it's not, aftermarket pumps are $40-60, depending on the source. It's a DIY-able repair by a decently-equipped DIY'er.

Bumpity bump...

So I let this one slide for a year. The coolant leak stopped for a long while, and then re-appeared once winter rolled around again. This time both the water pump and upper radiator hose are leaking. Fix-it time. I'm taking advice from the folks who suggested I DIY it this time. A new upper radiator hose (Dayco), water pump (Airtex), and serpentine belt (Bando) are on order. $70 shipped from RA. The serpentine belt is threaded around a motor mount that has to come off to get at the pump. It's also about time to replace it based on mileage, so it's getting done at the same time. The hose is likely a clamp, but at $13, a new hose is cheap enough to throw on for insurance.

This will be pump #4 or so. I think I've lost count at this point. Whatever, it'll be a nice Saturday in the garage.

If the hose is leaking from the end, the issue is likely with the clamp and the surface. Does the upper hose connect to the t-stat on this car? If so, I would get a new t-stat and a Gates thermo-clamp.

In my experience, cleaning the surface that the hose is connected to (or replacing the assembly) and using a thermoclamp will almost always fix any stubborn leaks. The reason is because of tension issues with the clamp itself.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Bumpity bump...

If the hose is leaking from the end, the issue is likely with the clamp and the surface. Does the upper hose connect to the t-stat on this car? If so, I would get a new t-stat and a Gates thermo-clamp.

In my experience, cleaning the surface that the hose is connected to (or replacing the assembly) and using a thermoclamp will almost always fix any stubborn leaks. The reason is because of tension issues with the clamp itself.

The upper hose goes to some water distribution piece on the block. It's held on by a constant-tension clamp. Those Gates thermo-clamps looked neat. Not sure what size I'd need. I was going to just replace it with a new constant-tension clamp since I finally ponied up for the tool.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif
)

More prevalent on the earlier cars. GM's made many revisions to this water pump design. A pressure test won't indicate a bum pump or soon to be bum pump.

I'd ask if the car is covered by an extended warranty on the water pump. Mine's covered until 10 years/150k miles. It's VIN-specific, so run the VIN at a nearby dealer to check. If it's not, aftermarket pumps are $40-60, depending on the source. It's a DIY-able repair by a decently-equipped DIY'er.

THANKS, will do.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back