3rd gen 2011 Toyota Prius ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just inherited a 2011 Toyota Prius. I've been doing a bit of reading on it and am comfortable doing a DIY atf change. From what I've read these are CVT transmissions that use Toyota WS fluid. It looks to use around 4-5 quarts an oil change and uses a drain/fill bolt like a differential. So my question is I was going to use Maxlife atf but I see on the Valvoline site it says not compatible with CVT transmissions. Is there another readily available fluid I can get at Walmart that's equal to or better than the OEM stuff or would my best bet be to contact the dealer for WS? If I do get the OEM WS fluid will there be any dealer additives and such that will be needed for CVT?

I would recommend just using the Toyota WS. I have done 3 trans fluid changes on Prius'(2 of mine and 1 buddies car) all using WS and there have been no issues. It is a simple drain and fill, but you will need a long skinny funnel or funnel with flexible hose to fill it and if I remember correctly a 24mm socket for the drain and fill bolts.

Oh and it is not really a CVT, it is similar. I have heard it's called an epicyclic gear.

Last edited:
Good deal! I'm just trying to get everything lined up to coincide with the first oil change since I'll already be right there. Looking like I'll be doing atf, inverter cooling drain/fill, and engine oil the first go around for piece of mind. It is a used car and good news is that we also have a toyota sienna so any leftover coolant won't go to waste. Is there anything else fluid/lubrication wise I need to keep an eye on/change besides those three?

Read up on the oil change if you haven't already--I think this car has a cartridge filter. The correct tool will make the filter change a lot easier. One like this, with slots, works better than the hex-only style: NAPA Cap Wrench

If the filter cap is really tight, use a 1 & 1/16" socket to remove it rather than plugging in a 3/8" drive ratchet.

I use Genuine Toyota ATF-WS in mine and drain/refill every 30k. Both the drain and the fill plugs are 10mm Allen keys.

Be careful with changing the inverter coolant if you do not own a vacuum fill tool since you will have to use the factory bleed procedure.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
. Both the drain and the fill plugs are 10mm Allen keys.

Thanks for getting that, the ones I did were '06s and an '08, but its been a while.

I contacted Valvoline awhile back with that very question, they said Maxlife ATF is fine in the Prius CVT, saying it's the same requirement as all other Toyota transmissions. So I did a drain and fill on my 2nd gen around 20k ago and it seems perfectly fine. I can't recall if I had the tranny fluid done prior to that, but this drain & fill was at 106k and the fluid didn't look too bad, was like a purplish color, definately not totally black and burned. I have no plans do to another for awhile, probably go 50k, I don't get the feeling it's hard on ATF and the manual certainly doesn't call for frequent change, or any changes at all for that matter..

I just did my Gen2 and used redline D4. I don't think the FF had been changed; @ 13 years and close to 70K miles, it was probably time.

Last edited:
If it calls for WS, you can use Maxlife
smile.gif

Bumping up an old thread.

Has anyone had success with Valvoline Maxlife ATF in placement of Toyota WS in a Toyota e-CVT transmissions on the hybrids? I have a 2012 CT200h that's at 120k no prior ATF service history that I plan on changing. I am stuck between Valvoline Maxlife ATF vs. Toyota WS. On Valvoline's PI .pdf sheet, it says Maxlife ATF is not recommended for CVT transmissions but I have used Maxlife in the past with good results, just not in a e cvt transmission similar to the Prius.

I'd never done much reading on the HSD/E-CVT until today. It looks like there are no adjustable pulleys and that the fluid is purely there to provide lubrication. Doesn't even look like there are any clutch packs to worry about. Seems like you could use whatever you wanted in there for the most part, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will speak to it.

Toyota warns in the manual that using other ATF will cause eventual damage. How seriously to take that warning, vs. reputable brands of similar viscosity, is controversial. I used genuine WS, being cautious. It's not THAT much more expensive.

Changing the fluid is pretty easy, once the cumbersome plastic under-engine panel is out of the way. To refill it, you do need either some sort of pump, or a hose attached to a funnel.

Don't confuse Toyota's (or Ford's) e-CVT with a mechanical CVT. There are no brakes, clutches, belts, pulley, or friction rollers in the transmission. The fluid serves only to lubricate gears and bearings, and for internal cooling. Dielectric strength of the fluid may be a significant factor---which is also controversial.

To the last responses, I mostly agree here. They made a good basic description of these eCVTs. What Valvoline says about not recommending to be used in CVT transmissions can be considered not applicable here. Also, your eCVT calls for a fluid that Maxlife says is a recommended application. Typical CVT transmission often call for specific CVT fluid, where as, your eCVT calls for just Toyota's typical ATF. Because of the makeup of the eCVT, it pretty much is known that the eCVT is easier on the ATF than Toyota's other automatic transmission, therefore, is going to be less fussier than there other transmission. Many Toyota owners have been using Maxlife in place of WS with success. I go Maxlife over WS because Maxlife is full synthetic where as WS not so sure. Dielectic strength of ATF is typically tested ay 35k volts, so no concerns here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ctechbob
I'd never done much reading on the HSD/E-CVT until today. It looks like there are no adjustable pulleys and that the fluid is purely there to provide lubrication. Doesn't even look like there are any clutch packs to worry about. Seems like you could use whatever you wanted in there for the most part, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will speak to it.
Because of this, you probably could put motor oil in those eCVTs and it would still work. However, I would not recommend that as even 0w16 is still thicker than Maxlife ATF.

Originally Posted by CR94
The fluid serves only to lubricate gears and bearings, and for internal cooling. Dielectric strength of the fluid may be a significant factor---which is also controversial.

The RWD versions for Lexus use also have clutch packs to engage a reduction gear. There's an oil pump in the Toyota HSD unit that circulates oil and drips it onto the motors to lube them. Since the motor windings do touch oil, I'm kinda leery about a non-Toyota ATF.

There's people on PriusChat who used Red Line D6 and Amsoil with success mostly, a few reported high Cu.

Originally Posted by nthach
sSince the motor windings do touch oil, I'm kinda leery about a non-Toyota ATF.

There are other vehicle manufacturers out there that do make hybrid. Some even have partnered with Toyota. So lets look at the Ford Fusion Hybrid, one I know was made in partnership with Toyota. So do they spec. Toyota WS or even WS with Fords/Motorcraft name on it? No. Just Mercon LV like the rest of Ford vehicles do. Just like Toyota does with there own ATF. This whole thing about dielectric strength started with the Prius people. So you be fine using an aftermarket low viscosity ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back