3M protective hood coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody know where in the toronto area I can get some of that clear plastic coating that's applied to the front edge of the hood?

I think it's a 3M product. And, is it a DIY?

Depends on your vehicle. You can find installers on the 3M website under automotive products. You can also order form a company like THIS ONE. Or THIS ONE. and do it yourself.

Look at the cut outs for your model car. You should be able to get a pretty good idea whether it is going to be easy to install or not. I think one of the two links I sent has a video on how to install. Lots of soapy water and so forth.

I tried it on a Ford PU and it turned into a huge mess. With a flatter hood it may have been possible. I couldn't get a flat sheet to go smoothly go over a compound curved surface.

Of course it could have just been me.

I've got a guy that sells the stuff by the foot. I ordered some last year and I'll try to look up the link and get back. Can't think of it right now.

worshippy.gif
all.

i wonder how would you wax your hood? with this on it wax wont penetrate the layer and the hood that looks good waxed, wont be waxed any more?

does it still give the same affect?

man if i didnt have alot of chips in my front hood...ill get one.

maybe they can custom make one for my rims =). haha.

There is a C5 Corvette owner that had his whole car doen in this stuff! I never saw it just heard about it and cost his around $2,000 to do it.

An installer in my area will either install the Xpel kit or sell me the same kit for DIY. He claims its a PIA if you haven't done it before and actually went to a 3M school to learn the install techniques and tricks. I don't think he was BSing me to make a sale either.

I have seen it installed on just one car but it looked very nice, couldn't tell it was on there unless you got real close to see the edges. Owner says he waxes the product just like the rest of the car.

[ February 20, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: shortyb ]

Here is a site I found that's the closest to me here in Maine:http://www.protectyourpaint.com/Index.html
Cost is $210 for my 04 Accord. Takes about 3hrs to do. They will sell you the kit if you want to attempt to do it on your own.

There is a C5 Corvette owner that had his whole car doen in this stuff! I never saw it just heard about it and cost his around $2,000 to do it.

If that vehicle was in Colorado Springs (a yellow vette), I saw it being done. I was getting my Audi A4 done at the same time. The entire vette had the coating all over it. Pretty wild.

It looked great....they waxed it before putting the 3M protective coating on. I would love to see it 3 years later however.

On my A4, I am very pleased with the product... we even put it on our 04 RX330 before taking delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back