Xpel Fusion PPF

dnewton3

Staff member
Recently had PPF added to my MX-5; Xpel Ultimate Fusion (their top product which includes hydrophobic coating infused in the film). I had the entire front done; any leading edge or forward facing surface:
- front bumper
- front fenders
- mirror caps
- A pillars and windshield frame
- hood

WOW! I'm impressed how well it repels typical bugs and wipes clean easily. Whereas I had to wash the car incessantly to keep the front clean, I now only have to wipe it off with a clean damp cloth. The bugs and such just literally wipe away and leave nothing behind.

It was expensive relative to ceramic coatings and the like, but well worth it. I'm convinced I'm going to have it done to my Lexus as well.

Here's their product line up ... If it's in your budget, I highly recommend this Ultimate Fusion product.

How's the texture of Ultimate Fusion? The older Ultimate had some texture that was heavier than some OEM finishes; that plus the adhesive's properties drove a lot of installers to STEK.

Recently had PPF added to my MX-5; Xpel Ultimate Fusion (their top product which includes hydrophobic coating infused in the film). I had the entire front done; any leading edge or forward facing surface:
- front bumper
- front fenders
- mirror caps
- A pillars and windshield frame
- hood

WOW! I'm impressed how well it repels typical bugs and wipes clean easily. Whereas I had to wash the car incessantly to keep the front clean, I now only have to wipe it off with a clean damp cloth. The bugs and such just literally wipe away and leave nothing behind.

It was expensive relative to ceramic coatings and the like, but well worth it. I'm convinced I'm going to have it done to my Lexus as well.

Here's their product line up ... If it's in your budget, I highly recommend this Ultimate Fusion product.

Yep! Good stuff!

I’ve had a “full front” PPF on my last five vehicles.
The last three has Suntek PPF on them.

Expensive (seemingly more so after the pandemic) but well worth it.

Heard the 3m and xpel last like 3 years and 5 years before they turn yellow. I was looking into these and read that from the manufacturers. No sale.

Heard the 3m and xpel last like 3 years and 5 years before they turn yellow. I was looking into these and read that from the manufacturers. No sale.
My vehicle is light gold metallic with xpel ppf on the frontal parts. I've only had it a little over a year, so I can't give any long term feedback, but I certainly like it. Bug guts and debris rinses off easily and it looks nice. Will it last? I don't know, but who is promised tomorrow?

My vehicle is light gold metallic with xpel ppf on the frontal parts. I've only had it a little over a year, so I can't give any long term feedback, but I certainly like it. Bug guts and debris rinses off easily and it looks nice. Will it last? I don't know, but who is promised tomorrow?
Which you are under the 3-5 year mark. Wait 5 more years and chime back in here. Love to hear how it is doing.

Which you are under the 3-5 year mark. Wait 5 more years and chime back in here. Love to hear how it is doing.

9.5 years on the Suntek PPF on my just sold 2014 Altima. No issues.

The prep work prior to installation is critical as is an installer who knows what they are doing.

The price of PPF is getting ridiculous and exceeding repaint costs.
I had 2 panels resprayed by a body shop and it was a total disaster and required multiple trips and another repaint because of issues, plus the scheduling was a nightmare. I’d rather not go near a body shop. The 2 panels plus R&I / labor basically would cover the cost of PPF on most of the car. PPF is overpriced but respraying is something to be avoided IMO.

OK, but no promises. The car could be broadsided any day or I could be dead, but I'll keep you in mind. Meanwhile, I enjoy the surfaces being easy to clean. :) :)

How painful is it to apply PPF on your own? Assuming you have a second set of hands to help you out. BTW I have a steady supply of medical grade/surgical gloves that fit like second skin, and none of that vinyl glove box from car parts stores.

How painful is it to apply PPF on your own? Assuming you have a second set of hands to help you out. BTW I have a steady supply of medical grade/surgical gloves that fit like second skin, and none of that vinyl glove box from car parts stores.
For a first timer? Extremely.

I did my new dishwasher with Xpel Stealth and it took me ~3 hours. It's a rectangle.

Cars are difficult because you're either working with a pre-cut kit and you have to make all the edges line up perfectly or you're working with a big sheet and have to avoid nicking the paint while cutting and/or wrapping edges and getting them to stick. With both methods you have to avoid dust, overheating the film, slip solution here, tack solution there, etc... There's a lot of muscle memory involved with a professional-looking install.

Start with some pre-cut headlight film and see how that goes for you. I think these for a first time project because they're a relatively small and flat surface.

This is a 2012 Honda Accord with 3M film that was applied new in 2012. It is close to half way up the hood and fenders and entire bumper. It still looks new with zero fade or yellowing. Head lights are original and also have the film on them. Entire car was protected with NuFinish the first 5 years of its life and the rest has been with Hydro Silex. Car has 145,000 miles and is a daily driver:
UsikBYD.jpg

UWvaOFT.jpg

CcPcR6w.jpg

4xUvd9e.jpg

XXuiABp.jpg

Back