3800 series II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wrongwheeldrive
The oiling system is self contained so the engine oil never sees the blower.

Of course.

But your cylinder pressures and EGTs are much higher than the NA 3800s due to the boost (and even more so by your mods).
wink.gif

And I will say it before CATERHAM does this time; Red Line 0W-30!

Penzoil 0W-20.

Oil pressures are fine until the my weak cooling system shows its face.

Lost around 5 PSI most of the time.

Switching to 5W-30 Mobil 1 (which i have plenty of) until i run out, then its 0W-20 in the winter and 0W-30 for summer.

Amsoil next time around. two oil changes a year seems like a much better alternative.

I have been using ESSO XD-30 in my 2001 SSEI for many years. It is a 0-30w, synthetic, diesel oil priced at $5.50 a litre. Amazing cleaning properties and all the good stuff in a diesel oil. The best part, it is only available in Canada at ESSO bulk dealers. I use it in every thing I own and could not be more pleased. Roger

I have a 2004 Monte Carlo SS, Dale Jr. edition with the L67 supercharged engine and it specifies 5W-30 which surprised me because years ago my ex-wife and I bought a new 98 Grand Prix GT with the NA 3800 and it called for 10W-30 and I didn't know what prompted the change in viscosity. Mine has 93,000 miles on it and I run 5W-30 Valvoline WB in it. It runs smooth with no noises.

I'm more worried about the tranny holding up.

Wayne

I don't think a 20wt would hurt it considering your driving needs, but a thin 0W-30/5W-30 would protect better. The weight of the oil doesn't matter as much as the additives and quality of the oil.

I have been very happy so far with the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 in my 3800-II. I also always had good results with Valvoline Synpower and Valvoline Maxlife in the past.

A very thin 0W-30 to consider would be Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE (advanced fuel economy)

I use 5W30 Mobil 1 HM oil in my 04 Impala SS Indy 500 Officials car with 8K miles. It runs great and is extremely smooth up to redline. This car was built for the 2004 Indy 500 and was used by an official for any accidents during the race. Very quick... LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back