3800 series II

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here, 2002 Grand Prix. L36 with an L67 top end (high compression, supercharged)

Live in southern ontario so temperature difference between seasons can vary quite a bit.

Driving habits range from easy going (longer trips, when its cold) to multiple WOT runs within a short period of time (30 minutes). Never much past the speed limit. Lets say up to 50-80 MPH at most.

Daily trips are generally under 5 KM (~3 mi).

After reading the main article it appears I should have never ran 10W30 despite the owners manual suggesting that is the preferred oil.

I have been rather good in running synthetic (synetec or mobil 1) 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.

As of late I've been running quakerstate 5w30 on short drain intervals (under 500 KM) to ensure the motor is nice and clean. (mainly due to the drain plug issue, mentioned further down)

I've had the LIM and VC's off numerous times (added a blower and coolant leaks, what fun) and the motor looks quite spotless.

I've had the heads off twice, those looked rather clean as well.

Which is quite surprising considering the rather low mileage for the age of the vehicle (120 000 km two years ago when I bought it)

Back to the point here:

I recently added a magnetic drain plug to find it was covered in what I would call what looks and feels like a ferrofluid.

Before anyone asks for a UOA, I've ordered my first kit, awaiting delivery.

In the mean time, I'm thinking I should switch to a syn 0W20 in hopes of minimizing what seems like excess wear on the motor.

Running mobil 1 5w30 w/mobil 1 filter I'll see 60-63 PSI cold idle, 33-35 warm idle, 60 psi cruising and 75-80 at 6000 RPM. (6000 is the shift point, redline a couple higher but it doesnt see much more than 6000.)

Thoughts, suggestions?

In case anyone brings up the 04+ 5w30 specification, GM also used a different oil pressure releif valve and spring which resulted in 5-10 more PSI. I'm still running the stock series II (pre 04) spring and valve.

Another thing I never took into consideration, waiting for the oil to warm up in addition to the coolant.

Typically 170-180 * ECT I'd consider it "okay" to get into boost but not take it much past 4000 RPM.

In retrospect, that was rather dumb.

In addition to syn 0W-20 I've been considering the following:

- 04+ oil pressure relief valve.
- http://www.sinisterdd.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=287
- http://www.sinisterdd.com/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=41

The guy who designed those sinister parts got into modifying the blocks oiling system, I haven't followed up on this but since a full rebuild is far from something i'm considering (170-180 PSI compression warm).

But you can't always trust the salesmen.

Last edited:
I would recommend staying with 5W30 or 10W30 and since you live in Canada 0W30. I would not use a 20 grade. Most people would recommend going up a grade to a 15W40, 5W40 or 0W40 in a hipo motor, not dropping a grade. I don't think the 3800 needs any oil system mods. Some of them can be a bad idea or at the very least not worth the trouble. If that last mod eliminates the oil filter bypass, that is not a good idea.

I have yet to read where GM has specified a ??w20 in any of the 3800 family of engines. Please correct me if this is not accurate.

I read in a post the minmum GM specifies a 5w30 was due something due to the oil pump in these engines.

There must be some reason GM has yet to follow through like the OEMs and specify a ??w20 for the ol buick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
There must be some reason GM has yet to follow through like the OEMs and specify a ??w20 for the ol buick.

They stopped making them in 2008. Never got a chance I assume.

However, I believe even the chev cruze still calls for 5w30.

One of our previous cars was a 99 Grand Prix GT Sedan with an L36. That was before my BITOG days and I ran 3K OCIs with whatever name brand conventional 10W-30 that I could get on sale with whatever filter I could get cheapest. I sold the car around 175K and had never had an engine related problem of any kind.

I would probably suggest that you run 5W-30. I would not suggest 0W-20 or 5W-20.

I have a 2001 GP GT (3800 NA) that has 201K miles on it. Used 0w30 M1 for a long time and switched to 5w30 PP for the last 75K miles. Still runs very strong. The transmission is the problem spot if anything in my opinion.

I have a 2000 SC Series II but living in VA is a whole different climate. Personally, as the manual does suggest 10w30 I WOULD TRY A 0w30 year round where you are. I have run that in several vehicles that called for a 10W30. Now in my 3800 I ran the Amsoil 10W30 but the engine had a clack to it at idle that bothered me so for the past 5 years I have used a 50-50 blend of Amsoil 5W30 Series 3000 and Amsoil 10W40 full synthentic. Engine is quiet and I do annual oil changes which for me is only about 9000 miles in the year. Have 95,000 miles on engine. For your climate though the 0W30 would be my suggestion

Originally Posted By: AHampton
The transmission is the problem spot if anything in my opinion.

The 4th gear clutch shaft in ours sheared at 172K. I had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable local shop for $1300.

5w30 will work fine for you. 0w30 if you think you need it in the winter. 10w30 honestly does offer any advantages anymore. Usually the 5w30 oil is built better and offers quicker start-up protection. Keep in mind the 3800 is one of the easiest engines on oil. As long as you keep containments out(changed the intake gaskets yet?) it will last forever.

Originally Posted By: T-Keith
5w30 will work fine for you. 0w30 if you think you need it in the winter. 10w30 honestly does offer any advantages anymore. Usually the 5w30 oil is built better and offers quicker start-up protection. Keep in mind the 3800 is one of the easiest engines on oil. As long as you keep containments out(changed the intake gaskets yet?) it will last forever.

Intake gaskets are more than covered.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

The 4th gear clutch shaft in ours sheared at 172K. I had the transmission rebuilt by a reputable local shop for $1300.

03+ are more reliable for that (hardened splines) and the stronger chain used in 05+

Looks like I'll stick with M1 5w30 for a while then.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: wrongwheeldrive
Originally Posted By: T-Keith

Intake gaskets are more than covered.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

03+ are more reliable for that (hardened splines) and the stronger chain used in 05+

Looks like I'll stick with M1 5w30 for a while then.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would recommend you stick with M1 5w-30 or 0w-40 as they are reported to do well in various turbo tests. If my 3800 series II had a blower I would be real tempted to try M1 0w-40.

Well the blower is an Eaton Gen III M90.

The oiling system is self contained so the engine oil never sees the blower.

I'm also considering german made synetec 0W-30 which is supposed to be close to a 0W-40.

Hey Matt

I used the German Castrol in my GTP before switching to Amsoil. It liked it. The Mobil 1 0w40 would also be a good oil but not sure if you'll be able to find it readily?

The 04+ relief spring and valve I used to install with cammed cars that see over 6000 rpm shift points. Probably not needed but if you try that blocked off bypass filter neck it'd be worth installing; that modified neck idea is interesting, never tried that. Only issue I can see is if your filter gets clogged it'll lower oil pressure but use a long filter and change it at normal intervals, shouldn't be an issue?

It would be interesting to try 0w20 or 5w20 in a 3800. My Hemi-powered car requires a 20 weight and I don't cringe when I press the gas pedal as much as I thought I would.

I wouldn't recommend going to a xw20 for a supercharged 3800. German Castrol may be a good choice to get a heavy 30-weight. Or a blend of M1 0w30 and 0w40 would be better yet.

Have you thought of getting a Gen V Eaton blower for that thing? It's way more efficient the the Gen III, and would free up some more ponies for you.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I wouldn't recommend going to a xw20 for a supercharged 3800. German Castrol may be a good choice to get a heavy 30-weight. Or a blend of M1 0w30 and 0w40 would be better yet.

Have you thought of getting a Gen V Eaton blower for that thing? It's way more efficient the the Gen III, and would free up some more ponies for you.

Already invested in a gen III intercooler, otherwise I would probably consider it.

Originally Posted By: Will
Hey Matt

I used the German Castrol in my GTP before switching to Amsoil. It liked it. The Mobil 1 0w40 would also be a good oil but not sure if you'll be able to find it readily?

The 04+ relief spring and valve I used to install with cammed cars that see over 6000 rpm shift points. Probably not needed but if you try that blocked off bypass filter neck it'd be worth installing; that modified neck idea is interesting, never tried that. Only issue I can see is if your filter gets clogged it'll lower oil pressure but use a long filter and change it at normal intervals, shouldn't be an issue?

It would be interesting to try 0w20 or 5w20 in a 3800. My Hemi-powered car requires a 20 weight and I don't cringe when I press the gas pedal as much as I thought I would.

Hey, Will. Didn't know you were on here. Small world, go figure.

Mobil 0W-40 is on the shelf at canadian tire.

Only downside is the sticker price. At ~$10/bottle it seems finding an amsoil dealer might be cheaper in the long run.

Concerning the bypass, my oil pressure levels are only low right at startup so I'm not sure it would be worthwhile. The install is a pain. I've done it once and I'd rather not do it again. At least while its in the car.

Originally Posted By: wrongwheeldrive

Mobil 0W-40 is on the shelf at canadian tire.

Only downside is the sticker price. At ~$10/bottle it seems finding an amsoil dealer might be cheaper in the long run.

I use the Series 3000 (HDD) 5w30 in my wife's Ecotec car. Its a diesel oil but its excellent at keeping things clean and has zinc in it for extra protection which has been eliminated from most gasoline oils. The Ecotecs I've found are fairly hard on their oil. Its also a thicker 30 weight at 11.7@100*C and has good NOACK TBN and and HTHS numbers.

Its still close to $10 per at wholesale but the XL and OE lines are roughly 1/3 and 1/2 less for still very decent oils. All depends on your budget. And the Amsoil filters are excellent.

The Mobil 1 0w40 at $10 per isn't bad at all and match it with a Bosch Distance Plus oil filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Mobil 1 HM 5W30(great add pack) in my 04 Impala SS with 8K original miles. It was the track officials car for the 2004 Indy 500 and has tranny, exhaust and other minor engine mods for high speed driving. The engine runs very smooth on this oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
GM 3800 V6 = MaxLife 10W-30. Plain and simple.

Or any 10W-30. Though that is a fine oil there. You could put 5W-30 if you wish, but 10W-30 is what it was built for. MY 1992 onward.

And that is true for the 3800 in series I, II, or III. The last Series III 3800 in now-defunct Pontiac Grand Prix was a powerhouse, boy!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back