38 Spl and 357 Mag Self Defense Ammo Experiement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see those test results. Thanks for the link.

Carry and home defense. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to dive in to it when I have more time later, but it looks good.

I will say it has me doing some re-evaluating of my 38 special load of choice, the Underwood 125gr 38 Special +p. It uses the same Speer Gold Dot bullet that failed to expand every time in the 357 tests. It appears the heavier 135 grain bullet is the better performer.

Wow, that a comprehensive test. Thanks for posting. My carry Gold Dots took a beating. The .38 short barrel loads didn't expand very well OR penetrate so great. Not a good combo. Kinda disappointed I didn't pick up some of the .38 130 grain Ranger when it was super cheap.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I will say it has me doing some re-evaluating of my 38 special load of choice, the Underwood 125gr 38 Special +p. It uses the same Speer Gold Dot bullet that failed to expand every time in the 357 tests. It appears the heavier 135 grain bullet is the better performer.

The .357 Gold Dot is quite a different bullet in the 125gr(and 158gr) version than the 135gr version.

In particular, if you set them side by side the 125 and 158gr have a very shallow cavity, while the 135 is quite deep and much more aggressive.

I've been told that the 38 special 135gr +P load was actually originally developed for the NYPD's 4" service revolvers(Model 10 and 66). It was found, however, to perform quite well in snubs, which was why it is now sold as a "short barrel" load.

Consequently, I only use the 135gr version in 38 special regardless of the barrel length.

I tend toward the 158gr Gold Dot in 357 mag, as the 135gr 357 Mag is on the low end of the 357 mag power scale. Out of a 2" snub it only gets you around 100fps vs. the 38 special +P. It may speed up a lot out of a longer barrel(I haven't chronoed it-I'm going by published data) but the 158 will give a solid 1200fps+ from a 4" barrel which should be enough for reliable expansion.

The 158 Grain Speer Gold Dots didn't do well either in the tests. They clogged up and didn't expand, even out of the test gun (4.2 inch GP100)

I was disappointed in my favorite load, the Remington 158gr. lswchp, or "FBI load". I have seen other tests where it performed very well and has always been an old school favorite.

For years the Remington 125 Gr. Semi Jacketed Hollow Point has been considered one of the best, and highest rated .357 Magnum self defense loads. It still performs well, with beautiful expansion and good penetration.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
I was disappointed in my favorite load, the Remington 158gr. lswchp, or "FBI load". I have seen other tests where it performed very well and has always been an old school favorite.
The new versions are downloaded from the old school versions and many use bullets that are too hard. The Winchester bullet looks like it performed perfectly in the 4 inch. Too bad it wasn't full power load to perform in the 2 inch.

excellent results on 38 wadcutter: meets fbi penetration with lowest recoil. i wish it is more widely available as it is perfect for recoil averse shooters.

Looks like most any .38 from my 8" Dan Wesson would be more than adequate. (no I don't carry it)

I have several jframe S&W self defense revolvers. I only use Hornady or Federal .38+P ammo for several reasons:

1. Some are .357 mag guns and some are .38sp so I don't want to have an ammo feed mistake in a SD scenario and since .38+P fits all that is what I use.
2. I never want to light off a .357 in a car or enclosed space due to possible hearnig damage.
3. .38+P sd ammo is sufficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back