350 SBC—What oil?

Recently found the fountain of youth in a '69 Nova with a 350 Small-Block supposedly from 1983, rebuilt about 3 years ago. Mild cam; Long-tube headers; Holley 650. I'm down here in the Florida heat.

What's the best oil to use? Conventional or synthetic? Weight? I'm a guy who recognizes oil as the life-blood of an engine. I figure it'll be driven about 3000 miles per year.

Thank you all!

In Florida? I dont know that you need a 40wt but 15w40 would be my choice too.
if you want to spend more
redline 10w40.

Welcome to BITOG :)

That SBC will run on practically anything. A modern 5w30 synthetic should serve you well, so just use whatever synthetic is on sale or clearance

I have a 350 in my Malibu, aggressive cam and solid lifters and I used to run 10W30 with an additive.

If I still bracket raced, I would probably run Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 with ZDDP. For your more mild engine, any diesel rated oil would be sufficient.

Recently found the fountain of youth in a '69 Nova with a 350 Small-Block supposedly from 1983, rebuilt about 3 years ago. Mild cam; Long-tube headers; Holley 650. I'm down here in the Florida heat.

What's the best oil to use? Conventional or synthetic? Weight? I'm a guy who recognizes oil as the life-blood of an engine. I figure it'll be driven about 3000 miles per year.

Thank you all!
As already mentioned - 10w40 or 15w40 would be ideal candidates. But we got a bigger issue here... The issue is that you haven't posted pictures of that fountain of youth yet!!!

Back