33mpg Ram Half Ton Pickup

Not being snarky, but I was just wondering what you think it would have cost to keep your ecodiesel running for city driving? Or was it just never going to work properly in the factory configuration?

Dunno, if we managed to nuke the DPF from the short tripping, probably pretty expensive. If the wife and I had swapped drive cycles and I drove it we'd probably have been OK, but it was her truck and it drove her nuts (the weekly regens in the winter) which is why we slid over into the gasser.

Yeah that's the guy. Found his videos on YT and went down the EcoDiesel rabbit hole. He committed suicide a few years ago.

Yes, I recall that too. His young son was answering questions in the Youtube comments for a short time after his Dad's suicide. Tragic deal for the Son.

So Stellantiswtfkindanameisthat will only sell this version in white or black paint? They reallllly don’t want to sell many of these.

Reminds me back several years ago when previous FCA CEO Marchionne (rip), publicly told people not to buy the Fiat 500 EV because it cost them more to make than what they were selling them for.

Dunno, if we managed to nuke the DPF from the short tripping, probably pretty expensive. If the wife and I had swapped drive cycles and I drove it we'd probably have been OK, but it was her truck and it drove her nuts (the weekly regens in the winter) which is why we slid over into the gasser.
A lot of people that I know that have always been “diesel folks”, have slid over to gas engines because they just had enough of the diesel problems with the newer stuff. I mean, unless they absolutely have to have a diesel for towing and hauling, but that’s pretty rare. I’ve run into construction guys, roofers, masons, tree companies and others that own their own businesses and have diesels fleets, switching to gasers. Just too many vehicles down for repair on a regular basis - one guy said to me - I have trucks down almost every week and I have guys standing around with jobs to do and I’m losing, so I’m getting rid of all my diesels.

And that’s nothing against the Ram eco diesel. Although I must say...I love the newer Ram trucks (1500’s)...best looking things on the road (IMO). Coworker has one and we were all amazed at the interior.

A lot of people that I know that have always been “diesel folks”, have slid over to gas engines because they just had enough of the diesel problems with the newer stuff. I mean, unless they absolutely have to have a diesel for towing and hauling, but that’s pretty rare. I’ve run into construction guys, roofers, masons, tree companies and others that own their own businesses and have diesels fleets, switching to gasers. Just too many vehicles down for repair on a regular basis - one guy said to me - I have trucks down almost every week and I have guys standing around with jobs to do and I’m losing, so I’m getting rid of all my diesels.

And that’s nothing against the Ram eco diesel. Although I must say...I love the newer Ram trucks (1500’s)...best looking things on the road (IMO). Coworker has one and we were all amazed at the interior.
And I think that’s a big reason for the new Ford 7.3 gasser.

$6-$8k buys a ton of gasoline with far less complex issues with a simple Pentastar V6. A good friend moved onto F250 gasser as the two previous diesel ones killed him maintenance costs as they aged.

We were blown away with the fuel economy on highway trips and while towing, it's unfortunate that modern diesels have been so saddled with over-complicated emissions equipment that it creates the issues it does.

Wonder how that accomplished. Narrow tires and ride height reduction?
My VW V10 TDI which weighs more and has more HP and torque got 30 MPG on a 1,000 mile trip, although I had to keep it at 50 mph all the way for other reasons. That pickup should be getting 40 mpg in comparison.

We were blown away with the fuel economy on highway trips and while towing, it's unfortunate that modern diesels have been so saddled with over-complicated emissions equipment that it creates the issues it does.
Service life potential is unreal … my driver in the EU put 1.2 million klicks on his MB diesel sedan … traded on another
Nothing but Mobil 1 0w40 sold everywhere in those parts …
He idled it plenty too … hated the S/S in the new one …

All of the manufacturers pick and choose and phrase things in a particular way, to make their product sound like the best thing since sliced bread.
yep just like Toyota said their new tundra will be a world breaker....watch the #'s they'll beat the ecoboost specs like 1-2 hp and or tq figures...big deal..

yep just like Toyota said their new tundra will be a world breaker....watch the #'s they'll beat the ecoboost specs like 1-2 hp and or tq figures...big deal..
Yes … that market must hose down the decks with testosterone 🤪

My VW V10 TDI which weighs more and has more HP and torque got 30 MPG on a 1,000 mile trip, although I had to keep it at 50 mph all the way for other reasons. That pickup should be getting 40 mpg in comparison.
It would get 40 mpg, or probably better, at 50 mph. Assuming you're talking about a Touareg (no idea what else they put that motor in), it was rated for 15 city / 20 highway.

If an compact P.U. around the size of an older MAZDA B2000 came out as a hybrid I'd likely purchase one .

Last edited:
Back