33mpg Ram Half Ton Pickup

Dont buy at MSRP and the resale isnt that bad. These trucks have 10-15k off MSRP almost year round.
Yep - $12k off sticker is fairly common on the Big Horn trim as long as you wait a few months after a new MY intro:

For sure on that. VernDiesel I think he went by? IIRC, he had something crazy like 600K miles on the factory Ecodiesel and 8hp70 transmission. That's the guy who used nothing but Maxlife ATF in his ZF8 too if that's the fella we're referring to.

The guy I'm thinking of went by 'MoparEcodiesel' IIRC. There could certainly be others using an Ecodiesel in a hot-shot business, though.

So much marketing speak!

Unsurpassed: Not exceeded by anything else

"Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel rated at an unsurpassed 33 mpg highway"
  • "Unsurpassed" - Chevrolet matches the 33 mpg highway figure with the 3.0L diesel, so this is a true statement. Nobody surpasses the number.
  • "Highway" must be specified because Chevrolet beats the combined number at 27 mpg.
  • "Highway" must be specified because Ford beats the city number with 25 mpg city in the F150 Hybrid.
  • "Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel" must be specified because it's the only trim that gets the 23/33/26 mpg. Non-HFE drops to 22/32/26 mpg and 4WD trucks are at 21/29/24 mpg.
    • For reference, all 2WD GM diesels are rated at 23/33/26 mpg, no "HFE" trim needed. 4WD trucks are 22/26/24.
    • For reference, Ford are rated at 20/27/23 for 4WD trucks.
What does this mean? You will never see a Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel on a dealer lot. HFE is a marketing trim that was put together strictly for number bragging in press releases (like this one). I'd even go so far to say that the HFE trim will be dropped for 2022, when the newness of the EcoDiesel launch has subsided and no more press releases are needed.

So much marketing speak!

Unsurpassed: Not exceeded by anything else

"Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel rated at an unsurpassed 33 mpg highway"
  • "Unsurpassed" - Chevrolet matches the 33 mpg highway figure with the 3.0L diesel, so this is a true statement. Nobody surpasses the number.
  • "Highway" must be specified because Chevrolet beats the combined number at 27 mpg.
  • "Highway" must be specified because Ford beats the city number with 25 mpg city in the F150 Hybrid.
  • "Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel" must be specified because it's the only trim that gets the 23/33/26 mpg. Non-HFE drops to 22/32/26 mpg and 4WD trucks are at 21/29/24 mpg.
    • For reference, all 2WD GM diesels are rated at 23/33/26 mpg, no "HFE" trim needed. 4WD trucks are 22/26/24.
    • For reference, Ford are rated at 20/27/23 for 4WD trucks.
What does this mean? You will never see a Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel on a dealer lot. HFE is a marketing trim that was put together strictly for number bragging in press releases (like this one). I'd even go so far to say that the HFE trim will be dropped for 2022, when the newness of the EcoDiesel launch has subsided and no more press releases are needed.

All of the manufacturers pick and choose and phrase things in a particular way, to make their product sound like the best thing since sliced bread.

Media release....yes those are great numbers, but with the abysmal reliability reported for the Ecodiesel I'd pass.

Plus, the diesel is a $5,000 upcharge for 7mpg (or 8 if you waste your money on HFE). And at $3 per gallon (estimated) fuel cost, it would take more than 200,000 miles to pay for the engine.

edit:
MrHorspwer, well said!

Dude, haven't you had like $10 grand worth of warranty work done on your car though? ;)
Lol I wasn't comparing them. I still stand by what I said. I'm not talking about the truck as a whole being unreliable, I'm talking about the history of the Ecodiesels.

I'm transparent about my cars, I don't act like they're super reliable when they aren't, I say it like it is.

Tbh, $5k of that was control arms I don't think it really needed, but I didn't see them.

Lol I wasn't comparing them. I still stand by what I said. I'm not talking about the truck as a whole being unreliable, I'm talking about the history of the Ecodiesels.

I'm transparent about my cars, I don't act like they're super reliable when they aren't, I say it like it is.

Tbh, $5k of that was control arms I don't think it really needed, but I didn't see them.

That's fair, the engine definitely has a rather "colourful" track record, I just thought of your recent warranty thread and it made me chuckle, hence the remark and wink. :D

That's fair, the engine definitely has a rather "colourful" track record, I just thought of your recent warranty thread and it made me chuckle, hence the remark and wink. :D
Oh yeah, when I get far enough into the ownership of this thing, we'll see how it goes and I'll make a great post. Think Doug Demuro with the Range Rover :ROFLMAO:

As long as "colourful" means black, the color of used HDEO from a thrown rod!:ROFLMAO: (The Ecodiesel, imagine Hyundai oil is a litttle lighter...)

Not being snarky, but I was just wondering what you think it would have cost to keep your ecodiesel running for city driving? Or was it just never going to work properly in the factory configuration?

Like the other guy said, It's not really that impressive. The 2wd 3.0 I-6 Duramax 1500 and 10 speed auto delivers the same 33/23 MPGs. It's a more expensive vehicle but you get what you pay for.

With better aerodynamics from a Leer Snug Top Shell I think it would be possible to get another 1-2 MPGs w/ the 1500 Duramax or HFE Ram under ideal conditions.
The guy I'm thinking of went by 'MoparEcodiesel' IIRC. There could certainly be others using an Ecodiesel in a hot-shot business, though.

Yeah that's the guy. Found his videos on YT and went down the EcoDiesel rabbit hole. He committed suicide a few years ago.

Back