33mpg Ram Half Ton Pickup

February 10, 2021 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Ram Truck today announced that a new, more fuel-efficient model is joining its half-ton truck lineup, which already consists of the most fuel-efficient 4x4s and the quickest, fastest and most powerful pickup truck straight from the factory.

The 2021 Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel delivers an unsurpassed highway rating of 33 mpg. HFE EcoDiesel’s city and combined mpg ratings are 23 and 26, respectively. The HFE designation, or High Fuel Efficiency, is Ram’s way of highlighting this model’s excellent fuel efficiency.

“Ram is committed to innovation and powertrain leadership, and as the no-compromise benchmark for efficiency and performance, we continue to listen to customer input by offering unsurpassed fuel economy,” said Mike Koval Jr., Ram Brand Chief Executive Officer – Stellantis. “The Ram 1500 is America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup with 480 lb.-ft. of torque and the most capable light-duty diesel with towing capability up to 12,560 pounds, and delivers up to 1,000 miles of range on a single tank of fuel.”

The Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel is available on crew cab four-door models with a 5-ft. 7-in. bed and 20-inch aluminum wheels. Other features include a black bumper and grille, tonneau cover, wheel-to-wheel side steps and cloth bucket seats.

The 2021 Ram 1500 Tradesman HFE EcoDiesel is available in Bright White Clear Coat or Diamond Black Crystal. HFE EcoDiesel models start at $42,240 MSRP (excluding $1,695 destination) and go on sale in the second quarter of 2021.

Wonder how that accomplished. Narrow tires and ride height reduction?

That is very impressive. I still am leery of the FCA Ecodiesel after the many problems I've read about with respect to the first versions. Plus the Pentastar V6 is an impressive motor (and of course, so is the Hemi), so hard for me to personally choose the Ecodiesel. Perhaps great for fleet sales though.

I test drove a 2018 F-150 2.7 ecoboost last week. 2wd super cab. Unknown rear axle. The mpg on the display was reading 23.3 when I got in. I reset it and it was up to 18 something when I got back to the dealer. Not bad for a gasser.
Asked the sales guy about the Ram eco diesel and got a blank stare. For the record this was at a Ford/Dodge dealer where sales people work both lots.

I test drove a 2018 F-150 2.7 ecoboost last week. 2wd super cab. Unknown rear axle. The mpg on the display was reading 23.3 when I got in. I reset it and it was up to 18 something when I got back to the dealer. Not bad for a gasser.
Asked the sales guy about the Ram eco diesel and got a blank stare. For the record this was at a Ford/Dodge dealer where sales people work both lots.

You can still get a brand new 2019 eco diesel truck for roughly $20000, standard box, old trim.

At the price pump and dump before warranty

Nothing like a broken crankshaft in the morning

Poor reliability, high purchase price, low resale value. This thing will accomplish nothing as far as saving money for higher mpg. Suckers.

"HFE EcoDiesel models start at $42,240 MSRP (excluding $1,695 destination)"

I was gonna say ouch, because I assumed they were all reg cab, short beds, but that's not the case apparently.

Given it's a crew cab short bed and I'm assuming 2wd, that's not bad. The MSRP on my 2019 SLT classic, CC, hemi, 4x4 short bed was just shy of $47K.

I recall the guy that used one of the first Ecodiesel trucks in a hot-shot business. He put on lots of miles, and IIRC, the truck did well.

Reactions: JTK
He probably specializes in selling SUV's to the crowd that doesn't really care if the salesman pops the hood.

Reactions: JTK
I recall the guy that used one of the first Ecodiesel trucks in a hot-shot business. He put on lots of miles, and IIRC, the truck did well.

For sure on that. VernDiesel I think he went by? IIRC, he had something crazy like 600K miles on the factory Ecodiesel and 8hp70 transmission. That's the guy who used nothing but Maxlife ATF in his ZF8 too if that's the fella we're referring to.

Back