33k miles and never changed oil?

I bet this is a lot more common than we think. There's a lot of people who lease cars, make the payment every month and turn it in at the end of the lease without doing anything.

Our recent experience returning a leaseon certainly makes that easy. They didn't ask for any maintenance receipts and didn't even care that it was in a pretty substantial accident. Knowing that, the current one is going to get the correct oil, but it's getting changed once a year and that's it! Not doing every 6 months.

I know I am in the minority, but I would bet if given a short flush out, then good synthetic oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals, it would last many years. They are tougher than you think.

I'm one who would offer help, but I'm learning I should keep my noise out of other people's business.

We had an instance at work where someone locked their car with the keys inside. Mechanics offered to help and they unlocked it for her. She then complained about a few scratches and made the company pay for the damage. Ungrateful woman.
Similar issue at my work. Someone had a flat tire on their Tucson. I changed it in the parking lot for them. I come into the office a few days later to a bill on my desk for the replacement of 3 stripped lug studs... I'm not an idiot I've been working on cars for 15 years. Refused to pay and it was awkward in the office until she ended up quitting a year later.

Unbelievable how most people are clueless when it comes to maintaining their cars!
Next thing they'll fill the internet and social media on how "crap" Nissan CVT, Suburu engine, GDI, (you name it) are crap and bad quality, and try a law suit 😆

Seems like that husband needs to take charge and make sure the oil gets changed along with other routine maintenance.
Please don't get me wrong; my wife is a wonderful woman, but I doubt she could differentiate the engine dipstick from the transmission dipstick. I maintain her car without asking her what she's done. She makes dinner without asking me what I've done. Seeing these pictures and hearing of the situation reminds me that traditional male and female roles ain't so bad.

Thanks for posting the experience and especially the pics!!

It's a pretty cool example of how long a car can go before it locks up from neglect. Sorry if I missed it, but I wonder how many times they had to add oil. They had to have added oil and low oil level light should have been lit on the dash if only 2qts came out. Subaru added the low oil level light 'feature' around 2012-14 when the FB series engines came out and I know on the ones I had, it would come on when she's a quart low.

I'm amazed at the dudes that say "it's the wife's car". I guess he's lucky if he's not paying for it. LOL.

My wife would be clueless about OCIs if weren't for OLM warnings on her cars I set as a backup if I hadn't already changed the oil.
Please don't get me wrong; my wife is a wonderful woman, but I doubt she could differentiate the engine dipstick from the transmission dipstick. I maintain her car without asking her what she's done. She makes dinner without asking me what I've done. Seeing these pictures and hearing of the situation reminds me that traditional male and female roles ain't so bad.

Careful! You'll get branded with one of those names used for the unenlightened.

my wife is a wonderful woman, but I doubt she could differentiate the engine dipstick from the transmission dipstick.
Nor does she need to know the difference (that won't be a popular opinion here though !!). Modern cars tell owners when service is needed and typically what needs done, so long as they pay attention or don't just flat out ignore it !

Well it'll be real interest if that car makes it to 100K miles without a complete rebuild.

A sales guy did this to a truck (2016 F150, 2.7L V6) at my last job. I took it over as my driver and did a 3000 mile change on the cheap Quick Lube oil, and then a 5000 mile oil change on Mobil 1. I went back to 7500 mile changes after that. I gave it to 2 different sales people after that, who were not bad at maintenance, but not stellar either. At 150k, it was still running strong, but using a little bit of oil (1 quart every 3000 or so), but smoked at start up.

Had another similar story with a 5.0L F150, only we used Motorcraft oil. That truck has almost 200k miles on it and does not smoke. That was more like 22k miles on the factory fill.

A sales guy did this to a truck (2016 F150, 2.7L V6) at my last job. I took it over as my driver and did a 3000 mile change on the cheap Quick Lube oil, and then a 5000 mile oil change on Mobil 1. I went back to 7500 mile changes after that. I gave it to 2 different sales people after that, who were not bad at maintenance, but not stellar either. At 150k, it was still running strong, but using a little bit of oil (1 quart every 3000 or so), but smoked at start up.

Had another similar story with a 5.0L F150, only we used Motorcraft oil. That truck has almost 200k miles on it and does not smoke. That was more like 22k miles on the factory fill.

Just sayin none of those changes was 33,000 miles?

was changing the oil in my car and my neighbor came over to BS. So i asked him if he want to change the oil in his wife's car as i had the tools out. So after i was done he pulled in to drain the oil. Vehicle is a 2018 Crosstrek with 33k miles. To my surprise only about 2 quarts of oil came out. i asked him when was it last changed and he said he does not know as its his wife's car.

while the oil was draining i went to change the oil filter. To my surprise its the black filter. to those that don't know that would be interesting, the black filter is a filter made in japan . its usually only seen when the car is new and before the first oil change. if the filter had been change there should be a blue sub filter or aftermarket filter.

So putting 2+2 together the crosstrek has never had the oil changed , and if it did the filter was never changed. i do understand that oil filter enthusiast might buy a factory black filter and install it , but these folks certainly are not that type

before i threw it away i decide to cut open the filter to look inside. inside was a bunch of sludge . not as bad as i thought it would be ,but more than i have even seen in other filter i have cut up . feels like petroleum jelly .

So i explain all the issues to the guy and told him to change the oil again in 2k miles and pray he does not have any engine issues or need warranty work on it.

pix

uEggJNW.png

UV07jjd.png

VY8Hmdh.png
So what's that blue filter in the bottom left of second picture then?

Honestly, I wouldn’t have changed that guy’s oil. No way. As soon as I found out he went 33,000 miles without a change I would have just suggested he took somewhere because IF that fresh oil breaks off a piece of sludge and clogs a lifted or ruins the valve train or ruins the variable valve train actuator or clogs a screen? He may not bland YOU, but he’s always going to blame you.

No thanks. Not my monkeys not my circus.

I bet this is a lot more common than we think. There's a lot of people who lease cars, make the payment every month and turn it in at the end of the lease without doing anything.

Our recent experience returning a leaseon certainly makes that easy. They didn't ask for any maintenance receipts and didn't even care that it was in a pretty substantial accident. Knowing that, the current one is going to get the correct oil, but it's getting changed once a year and that's it! Not doing every 6 months.
I've never leased a car nor do I know anyone that has so I have to ask, is there any mention of maintenance in the lease, I would think it would be in the best interest of the dealership knowing they will eventually get the car back.

Back