33 cents a gallon difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get 93 non ethanol gas, for 33 cents a gallon more than 87 e10, do you think its worth it, at this price i think not?

You're lucky. Out here, the difference between 87 and 93 is around 50 cents, and both contain ethanol.

Whether it's worth it or not, you'd have to see if you're getting any better fuel economy on the 93 non-ethanol stuff and compare that to the 33 cents/gal difference.

Stations using radio ads to promote ethanol free gas for all small engines boats ski-doo's etc., have banners at the station showing ethanol free pumps,

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You're lucky. Out here, the difference between 87 and 93 is around 50 cents, and both contain ethanol.

Whether it's worth it or not, you'd have to see if you're getting any better fuel economy on the 93 non-ethanol stuff and compare that to the 33 cents/gal difference.
i notice slightly better fuel mileage on 89 also better performance on the 300, never tried the 93 non ethanol yet.

Cannot be determined based on the information provided. How much is a gallon of regular and super? Basically gasoline has 114k BTU's per gallon and ethanol is 76k BTU per gallon. You'd have to do the math to figure out how much you're paying on a BTU basis per gallon.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Cannot be determined based on the information provided. How much is a gallon of regular and super? Basically gasoline has 114k BTU's per gallon and ethanol is 76k BTU per gallon. You'd have to do the math to figure out how much you're paying on a BTU basis per gallon.

Reg e10 is $3.50 93 e0 is $3.83

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
There is no need to run higher octane fuels unless your car requires it
Car doesn't require it but if you can squeeze out more m.p.g and maybe a better running engine?? why not.

Whether or not you need the ethanol free or the premium octane rating is an issue I'm not going to touch. I'm going to talk price. As a Canadian, the difference between that 87 and that 93 (regardless of whether we're talking US gallons or Imperial gallons) is a good deal. Fifteen years ago, a 10 cent per litre difference between the top and bottom grades was the norm. It's higher than that now, so the 7 to 9 cent difference per litre (depending upon which gallon size) you're mentioning is a decent deal.

The last time I paid that little of a difference was back when they'd raise premium prices a number of days after regular prices rather than at the same time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hemitom
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
There is no need to run higher octane fuels unless your car requires it
Car doesn't require it but if you can squeeze out more m.p.g and maybe a better running engine?? why not.

Some claim that ethanol lowers gas mileage between 2-7%. The increased cost is about 9.4%. Some also claim that ethanol is bad for older cars, cars after 2001 were supposed to be ok for E15, but thankfully that never passed. A borderline no.

You get less fuel economy using E10 vs pure gas. It boils down to the metrics. The only thing good about E10 is the ethanol helps prevent wintertime problems by acting as a gas-line antifreeze.
You don't hear about fuel line freeze up anymore.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Whether or not you need the ethanol free or the premium octane rating is an issue I'm not going to touch. I'm going to talk price. As a Canadian, the difference between that 87 and that 93 (regardless of whether we're talking US gallons or Imperial gallons) is a good deal. Fifteen years ago, a 10 cent per litre difference between the top and bottom grades was the norm. It's higher than that now, so the 7 to 9 cent difference per litre (depending upon which gallon size) you're mentioning is a decent deal.

The last time I paid that little of a difference was back when they'd raise premium prices a number of days after regular prices rather than at the same time.
wink.gif

This is for an american gallon

Not sure if this in effect in Canada anymore?

in Canada, gasoline was sold by the imperial gallon (4.55 litres) whereas, south of the border in the U.S., it was sold by the U.S. gallon (3.78 litres)

32.gif

Can't even get 93 octane at all here in California. So envy you. 93 would net a few extra ponies in a forced induction motor for sure.

We are stuck with ethanol in California it's used to oxygenate the fuel to lower emissions if I'm not mistaken?

Granted you may lose some mpgs but have cleaner air??

So here I am in socal going through all these clean air restrictions while 20 miles south of me in Mexico you can still buy leaded gas at the pump and they are still burning tires in people's back yard's.

The whole clean air act means nothing if we all aren't on the same page.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitom
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Reg e10 is $3.50 93 e0 is $3.83

If you do the math, you would see about a 5% decrease in mileage with e10 if the octane was the same. However, with the intangibles such as potential corrosion issues and increased problems/degradation of ethanol laced fuels, I use a simple rule of thumb. If the price differential is 10% or less, I will justify the added expense of non-ethanol gas for our cars. Throw in the upgrade to 93 octane and it is a no-brainer. I will only use ethanol free gas for my outdoor power equipment and motorcycles, regardless of cost.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

So here I am in socal going through all these clean air restrictions while 20 miles south of me in Mexico you can still buy leaded gas at the pump.

You are well off base there. Ethyl has been banned there for over 15 years. Also Imperial County has lower Lead atmospheric readings then the U.S national average. How would that be possible if your neighbor literally across the street was using leaded gasoline?

I would imagine you will find more leaded gasoline with ATV users that frequent your sand dune areas than in Mexicali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back