.308 Win. @ 3K Yards

A lot of hold over. Pretty impressive considering my .308 Savage with a 26" barrel and a Leupold 8x24 scope was in the dirt long before 1,000 yards. After adding a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail I was able to get to 1,000 yards with it easily.

That's crazy.

I regularly shoot 1,000 yard F-Class in F-T/R (a division that's caliber limited to .308s) with rifles that are custom throated to run the 200.20x Hybrid, and our loads are already ~3-5gr over book max with Varget/N150. Anything beyond ~1,300 gets very, very sporty in my experience, even with the above mentioned setup.

I've shot one of my F-T/R rigs out to 1,700 yard before just for fun, and although it wasn't the typical square f-class range with wind flags, I had real trouble holding a 6x6ft plate in ~10-12mph winds. Mind you I fairly regularly shoot 590+ at 1k, and don't have trouble missing the target lol.

I guess where I'm going with this is...that shot took lots of takes. :)

Last edited:
Now that's stretching out the old girl. Although more like a mortar than a rifle bullet :ROFLMAO: Either way, IMHO past 1k yards is impressive. Heck, even 1k with a 308 is legit; especially when dealing with wind out by the target.

They were definitely pushing its limits.

This is very impressive.
When I first saw the video, I was thinking to myself, "Ok, any day now bullet." 🙃

Agreed. Put aside the holdover; anyone who's shot at longer distances with the 308 and had to wrestle with wind at 1k yards ... can't imagine how to do this at 3k yards.

Nice.

I've done plenty of this kind of shooting but never enjoyed it as much as walking down a creek bed plinking at floating leaves, or sticks.

Reactions: 4WD
Nice.

I've done plenty of this kind of shooting but never enjoyed it as much as walking down a creek bed plinking at floating leaves, or sticks.

I can understand that. I like to take a rifle and figure out what handload will get it to shoot the smallest 5-10 shot group I can at 100 or 200 yards. Some rifles are pretty easy to get under MOA and at times very much under MOA. Others can be rather difficult. One of the hardest I've had (Browning BAR 30-06) I just couldn't get under MOA. I tried multiple powders/charges, bullets, primers, COL, and varied distances from lands..... I happen to try IMR 4007 SSC and bingo.

I like that 30-06 BAR for the wood so I won't let it go. And I hear IMR 4007SSC has a recall. Might have to revisit this not to long form now.

Been watching this couple from Australia for the past 5 years and they are quiet the team!

They convinced me that the 7mm Mag is a solid 1 mile shooter and have that platform.

During the COVID shortages and BS... I migrated to .308... despite that I reload. The .308 can't do what the 7mm Mag can do, but it ain't bad and fun to shoot with reduced recoil.

I love ELR shooting.... it's my Huckleberry!

My handload for .308 is 175's and I have no problem with the load at 1k.

Back