300 Inline 6 Oil Recommendation

How long have you had the truck/how many miles are on it? Have you had any issues with running the engine that high for extended periods of time? I'd probably be ok running a little lower speed if I had to, but I do want to get there eventually lol.
Ford put these engine is medium duty trucks for quite a while. They didn't have any issues spending all day >3000 RPM in a F600

You are going to tow a car hauler with a Mustang with an F100? And a bumper hitch? You are much braver than me!

Your 300ci originally used 10w-30 but an early 90's Ford TSB allowed 5w-30. Synthetic is fine and no extra ZDDP required (even with the mild cam upgrade).

Later, again, a Ford TSB recommended 5w-20 for the 300 but the TSB didn't go far back enough to cover your F100. My '93 has used everything from 10w-30, 5w-30, 10w-40 and 0/5w-20 and practically every synthetic oil on WalMart's shelves and with over 255k miles It doesn't seem to care just as long as there is oil in the pan.

Just pick a synthetic 10 or 5w-30 oil and it will be fine (comparing oils of 1983!). My choice would be 5w-30. I've setteled on WalMart SuperTech synthetic 5w-20 for mine.

The 300 is a torque monster and I think it will tow your car hauler better than the small block Ford V8's. Mine is the newer SPFI with the split exhaust manifold and it scoots down the road very well! The 460 would do a great job but won't pass any gas stations.

I did the 5W-30. I did buy a receiver hitch for the truck, but it isn't on yet. I am brave, I have towed a LOT with bumper hitches in the past, but this one is particularly wimpy looking, so I'm not gonna risk it. My buddy is probably letting me borrow his 2500 Chevy Van that's a little newer and has been used for long trips more recently anyway, but now I have the receiver for the future.

I could be wrong but I believe the early 80's f100's were still using the 9" in them but I know his 87 and my 95 they went to the 8.8" his 83 had some form of posi or limited slip as it used to spin both tires in the snow but I guess the clutches wore out and then it became a one wheel wonder. I wouldn't worry so much about towing with it but would worry about the suspension and brakes but the rear end itself can definitely take it.

Brakes are all new with Wagner Severe Duty pads. I have the larger 5x5.5" setup, some F-100s came with 5x4.5 lug pattern and had smaller front brakes and an inch smaller rear brakes. I did do better springs with more load-carrying capacity when I upgraded things. Mine has an 8.8, I think 1982-83 was when they started them for some F-100s. Some of them still had the 9", though.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I did the 5W-30. I did buy a receiver hitch for the truck, but it isn't on yet. I am brave, I have towed a LOT with bumper hitches in the past, but this one is particularly wimpy looking, so I'm not gonna risk it. My buddy is probably letting me borrow his 2500 Chevy Van that's a little newer and has been used for long trips more recently anyway, but now I have the receiver for the future.

Brakes are all new with Wagner Severe Duty pads. I have the larger 5x5.5" setup, some F-100s came with 5x4.5 lug pattern and had smaller front brakes and an inch smaller rear brakes. I did do better springs with more load-carrying capacity when I upgraded things. Mine has an 8.8, I think 1982-83 was when they started them for some F-100s. Some of them still had the 9", though.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I'm sure dad's 83 had the smaller 5x4.5", I remember the spare tire laying around the shop and it was definitely a smaller bolt pattern than the 5.5" but I didn't know they were available with either setup just figured the larger size would've been the f150.

Back