300.000 miles: How to prevent excessive oil consumption?

who wants to drive a 20 year old vehicle because that’s how long it will take most people to rack up 300,000 miles.
People who buy quality automobiles and take care of them, getting a good return on investment vice those who either only worry about appearances or buy crap and treat it like crap.

I have two vehicles with over 300k miles and do not consume a lot of oil.
2001 BMW 540 M-Sport owned basically since new. Currently at 345,600 miles. All I did was use the approved BMW LL-01 oil and an appropriate Mann, Hengst or Mahle oil filter and change it every 7500 miles. Only in the past year or two have I noticed it might consume 1/4 quart between oil changes...not enough for me to bother topping up.

2007 Toyota Tundra 4.7L currently around 311,000 miles. This one I have owned since around 25k miles. Oil changes every 6k to 7.5k miles. I use whatever 5w-30 synthetic is on sale...Mobil, Kirkland Signature, Quaker State, Pennzoil, STP, whatever. Filters same, Purolator, Bosch, but for the past 5 years Toyota as I found the local dealer has them cheap when purchased in quantity of four or more. This engine does consume about 1/2 quart of oil between changes, has done that since around the 120,000 mile mark. Again, not enough for me to top up.

Never did anything special to get to where I am now, I follow a preventive maintenance schedule and fix stuff promptly when they break. I do make sure the PVC valve or in the BMW the oil separater are change periodically. Thats all.

Attachments

• IMG_3185.jpg
    IMG_3185.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 12
I have 3 cars with the trusty gm 3800 engine, alas two of them are only 19 years old. 183K 105K and the baby at 99K. All paid for, well maintained, garaged, and driven. Leather interiors, heated seats, dual AC with auto climate control, Power everything, Concert stereo...Not worth one red cent to a bank loan; who cares? I enjoy driving them and I've been putting my car "payments" in the bank for long enough that I can write a check for any car I want, but guess what? I'm happy with what I drive and don't really care if my cars don't meet someone else's "expectations." I'm thankful to the Good Lord to be so blessed.

At that mileage whats done is done. Let it run on a normal OCI, nothing fancy and dont neglect it/push it to the limit.

These type of longevity concerns usually are more of a thing to hash out before purchase of a brand new vehicle, as longevity of an engine. as measured by its oil consumption is based on the engineering and mfging quality of that engine.

I'll give you an example, Toyota engines are known for their reliability and longevity, even in the face of CAFE-pleasing thinner then water oils that have become common place. Their most unreliable motors that consumed oil were not really due to their oil choice but inherent mfging and engineering defects; 1zzfe too few piston oil holes, 2azfe and their low tension rings.

I had a '97 F150 with a 4.6 and over 300,000 miles. It used about 1 qt every 1000 miles, and that started somewhere after 100,000 miles. On most 5-30's it was about 800-900 miles per qt, and when I switched so Castrol Syntech 5-40 it typically went about 1100 miles before it need a qt. The local oil change place did free top offs, so when they changed it, I could get three free qts added to my truck. I added over 200 qts (no leaks) to that engine and never had any oil or emissions related issues. Most of the time, oil usage is only a big deal if you're too stupid or lazy to check the oil.

Reactions: FZ1
I’ve never had a car that used oil. Took an 87 Olds to 350,000+ miles and never used oil. GM 3800 Series 1.

I had a '97 F150 with a 4.6 and over 300,000 miles. It used about 1 qt every 1000 miles, and that started somewhere after 100,000 miles. On most 5-30's it was about 800-900 miles per qt, and when I switched so Castrol Syntech 5-40 it typically went about 1100 miles before it need a qt. The local oil change place did free top offs, so when they changed it, I could get three free qts added to my truck. I added over 200 qts (no leaks) to that engine and never had any oil or emissions related issues. Most of the time, oil usage is only a big deal if you're too stupid or lazy to check the oil.
Same on my 5.4l. Been using oil, a little less than yours, for years but have not tried above 5w30 HM. Maybe I'll try some 5w40. My neighbor had an e350 with 5.4l since new and he always ran 20w50 because he drove to Arizona often. He was set in his ways. The internet said modular motors would explode if you tried that weight.

Same on my 5.4l. Been using oil, a little less than yours, for years but have not tried above 5w30 HM. Maybe I'll try some 5w40. My neighbor had an e350 with 5.4l since new and he always ran 20w50 because he drove to Arizona often. He was set in his ways. The internet said modular motors would explode if you tried that weight.
I live in the Midwest where 0F is not uncommon in winter and ran that oil year 'round. Currently running Castrol Edge 0W-40 in everything in my driveway including my current 2.7 F150. I'm a big fan of 2V modular engines. Under powered but run forever. My 3V cost me an engine replacement at 120,000 miles.

I live in the Midwest where 0F is not uncommon in winter and ran that oil year 'round. Currently running Castrol Edge 0W-40 in everything in my driveway including my current 2.7 F150. I'm a big fan of 2V modular engines. Under powered but run forever. My 3V cost me an engine replacement at 120,000 miles.
My 2v was replaced under warranty due to the oil leaking head defect. New one now leaks too and has for 130k or so. Other than that and the stupid plastic intake/coolant crossover and snapping exhaust manifold studs it has been good. Very minor for 20+ years of service

My '81 Mazda (included in signature below) went about 3000 mpq of 10W-40 from the time it was new. Its oil consumption never got much worse in 606k miles, if we don't count various external leaks and valve stem seal leakage (which I repaired, multiple times).

Hi,

It is generally considered that a car engine over time will have an increasing oil consumption. And for many cars I learned that once they pass the 300000 mi mark, a "normal" oil consumption is something like 2 gallons for every 6000 miles meaning people are driving around with oil jugs in the trunk all the time. I cannot accept that.

Is there a way to reduce the oil consumption to a minimum if the car is to pass the 300000 miles mark?

Let's assume:

I buy a car with zero miles on the clock. I want to drive it past 300000 miles. The manufacturer suggests an oil change every 6000 miles or every year depending on which comes first. In between every oil change I don't want to replenish at all. This means something like having a max oil consumption of 0,05 liter pr 1000 km ... in US i guess this is close to 2 ounces pr 600 miles. And I want this all the way up to 300000 miles in total.

What should be done to achieve this?

Special oil
Special additives
More frequent oil changes than every 6000 miles
Anything else

... or it cannot be achieved - any engine WILL wear and result in excessive oil consumption no matter how well it was treated.

Thanks, Lucas
Use Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic Oil.
But, I wouldn't recommend going the 25,000 miles they claim the oil to handle.
I use it and I change every 15,000 miles and it always looks nearly new.
If you have an already clean engine, that is.
I highly recommend it. It's expensive but, you don't have to do such frequent oil changes.
Just my 2 cents worth.

I usually overfill by a quart then it never seems like I've got oil consumption.
I sure would like to see any photo of the 65 chevy chevelle. I owned (4) chevelles yet none from the 60s era. I been reading a book today all about the start of Chevelles + the special limited Z16 EPCs. I think the 64 + 65 body styles and the following 66 + 67 are awesome looking. too bad the 66 + 67 power bulge hoods were not piped for true ram air. they were just for show. all mine were from 72-76.

Most in US don't deal in "km".
1 thing I do often (not all on the same engine!) Is replace valve guide seals. Often even if still "there" and not hardened, cracked and fallen into the pan, they're hardened and don't work as well. Ive worked on cars that were at a quart in 600-700 miles and after replacing these seals reduce to burning a quart per oil change. Which to me ain't bad at all 2 quarts per oil change still isn't bad. Especially for 300,000 miles. A little tip end lube won't hurt and at a quart or 2 per oil change won't show up on your plugs either

My ‘02 Jaguar XKR is only at the 182,000 mileage mark so not an appropriate example. But it still uses zero oil between changes. Not sure how that is even possible, but enjoying it while it lasts. I’ve got several long trips planned over the next 6 months, so I expect to be over the 200,000 mile mark before years end. If the consumption goes up I’ll report in.

I have owned several vintage Fords with well over 250,000 miles on the original engine, they used about 1/2 quart every 4,000 miles. Which I considered “good enough” for the old 289 engines on the same rings it had from the factory.

Z

Remember, the "only" way dirt gets in your engine is through the air.

For the last 35 years I have changed my oil every 3-5K. I change my ATF every 15-30K with OEM fluid. I change my coolant with oem coolant every 2yrs/30K (Toyota Red) or 4 yrs/50K (Toyota Pink). I change my diff fluid every 50K. PS every 30K. All my filters are purchased from a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

I use TOP TEIR gasoline 75% of the time. I do slack a little on my brake fluid, maybe every 4-5 years. I "always" buy OEM parts from
a dealer.

My goal is 500K for all my fleet. My says she will use my '98 LS 400 for my urn.

I like these hypothetical questions. However, the elephant in the room is,
who wants to drive a 20 year old vehicle because that’s how long it will take most people to rack up 300,000 miles. There is a gauntlet of traffic accidents, car thieves and rust to get by, and that’s if no one steals your cat and the insurance company writes it off. If you bought the vehicle today, you would still be driving it in 2043, a time when some jurisdictions say you cannot even buy a new ICE vehicle.
In terms of car longevity, there is some frugality there. If you buy a used older car that you like for $5k instead of a brand new one for $50k, you are saving $45k. I'd rather invest that $45k in an appreciating investment like stocks than a depreciating asset like a car.
Also, with the older cars, you get lower car insurance, no debt, no annoying changes in your life, etc.
There are a lot of advantages to keeping older vehicles for a long time.

Back