30-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot's of different opinions on that . I prefer the Marlin .
Other people swear by the Winnie . What is " best " anyway ?
Fondle both of them and buy the one that fits you best .

That's worse than asking who makes the best oil filter. It's a personal choice based on many factors. Me, I prefer Winchester lever guns in rifle calibers. But Puma makes some good ones in pistol calibers too, for the price. I have a .357 carbine. Took some work but now it's as smooth as a babys butt. They all need tweaking if they are factory new.

Who? Where? Are there any actually any Winchester branded new LA's being built? Last I heard brand was defunct. USRAC also.

According to reviews there are some really well built imports coming in for use in "Cowboy Action" shooting (pistol calibers though).

'Course there'll be NIB Winchesters built in every year since when for sale for the next 100 years. All you need is (lots) of money.

Also didn't Chryslers new owners buy Marlin just recently, as well as other old line firearms mfgrs?

Bob

Didn't say anything about "New" guns from Winchester. Just that they were my preference.

It was Remington that bought Marlin. I think Remington is owned by Cerbus(sp) something or other.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms

Deal positions Marlin and its various brands for growth
Madison, North Carolina – December 26, 2007 – Remington Arms Company, Inc. (“Remington” or “ the Company”) the only manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition for Hunting, Law Enforcement/Security, Government & Military applications in the United States, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Marlin Firearms Company, Inc. (“Marlin”). The transaction is expected to close by the end of January 2008.

If you want to mount a scope, I would say Marlin. For open sights, it's hard to beat a pre-'64 Winchester 94.

Last edited:
Well, if you really want a lever .30-30- it depends!
wink.gif
By that I mean- if you want to put a scope on it, I definitely recommend the Marlin. Or if you can live with iron sights- either one will work well. An aperature rear sight is a big improvement for most folks over the factory open rear sight. Do you plan to do a lot of woods-walking with the rifle- possibly carry it many miles for every shot fired ? If so, I'd recommend the Winchester 94 with receiver sight, with the aperature ring removed, using it as a "ghost ring"- it'll still make chest shots on a buck at 100 yds easily. And IMO, the Winchester carries nicer than the Marlin. Don't expect MOA accuracy, and either should serve you well. I'd strongly prefer either the Winchester or Marlin to be old enough so that it had no extra, unneeded safety device on it, just the hammer & lever safety.

FWIW- there's a new model offered by Mossberg now- a lever .30-30, looks semi-close to the Win 94 but with a sliding safety behind the hammer. Easily replaced if stolen, I'd expect it to carry similar to the Winchester, with "good enough" accuracy similar to either the Winchester or Marlin.

Link to the Mossberg: http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=31&display=desc

We've had some wild hogs move in(saw 3 in the front yard late at night 3 weeks ago!) and I now keep the 12-ga Maverick Mariner loaded with slugs. If I was gonna get a rifle for 'em, a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington would be at the top of my list. Or maybe one of those Mossbergs, if they ever decide to offer it in .35 Rem.
thumbsup2.gif

"Best"? Are we really going there?

I've got the Marlin 336; very nice and great price from K-mart no less, several years ago. It's not the best for you, because I don't know what you want. But it was the "best" for me.

Had a scope on it, but took it off. Like the looks without it; kinda cowboy. Generally can't hunt with it in my state, so it's just a toy anyway. Action is moderatly good, but not spectacular. Very reliable overall. Nice furniture and consistent finish.

If you like the .30 cal. then go with it. But .444 Marlin, .375 Winchester, .35 Rem. are also good 100-yard rifle cals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back