3 Flavors of Idemitsu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 2016 Toyota 4Runner with the 4.0L six and a 2016 Subaru Outback with the 2.5L four, both call for 0W-20. Last oil change I used this Idemitsu ZEPRO Eco Medalist for both, $30 ZEPRO

I hopped back on amazon to order some more and see another formulation of ZEPRO ($40 ZEPRO) along with a regular Idemitsu 0w-20 synthetic (Non ZEPRO) If the product titles are to be believed it looks like the $40 jug is the high moly blend.

Question is, what should I be buying here? Or am I barking up the wrong tree all together?

I was wondering why they do that, too. There is Zepro with Moly, Zepro Dexos, and non Zepro. The data sheet does show some differences. I wish Idemitsu was more clear in what the real benefits are to each.

No turbo, so I'd go with with Zepro non-dexos here, the $40 one. Looks like it has the most moly. (Dexos has a great turbocharger deposits test it must pass, not really needed if no turbo, and that one has less moly.)

Maybe check with a Toyota dealer for their oil if you can get a deal. It has a good rep here on BITOG. I got a couple jugs of Zepro advanced moly on eBay for about $30 for my Mazda CX-5. That was about six months ago. That's the only other place I can find it but I don't think I'll pay $40. I can buy Mazda brand oil from the dealer for $7.35/qt. last time I asked. That's a little better than $40 at Amazon or anywhere else.

Zepro Moly = most moly, very high VI. Most likely to cause piston ring deposits due to the heavy VII content.
Zepro Dexos = 200-300 ppm of moly, Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved.
"Regular" Idemitsu = a very average full synthetic engine oil. No real reason to seek it out over name-brand competitors that are more readily available.

Here is a UOA of the Zepro Moly:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...o-adv-moly-0w-20-3-210-miles#Post5146372

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back