3 filters cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found three used filters laying around, and I decided that I might as well cut them and post pics. First is a "Car and Driver", I'm not sure of the number, but it would cross to AC Delco PF47. Second, we have the Firestone tf2876 which fits my wife's 2010 Sentra, and finally the dreaded OCOD PH3614 from my '91 4Runner.

Group shot:

20130720_103317-001_zpsf3af48dd.jpg

Car and Driver:

20130720_104433-001_zps0cc250b1.jpg

This filter was on my 2001 GMC van when I got it. It has some damage to the element from me stabbing a screwdriver through it to get it off. I think that it had been on there for a very long time, as the oil was very thin and black as coal when it came out. It looks like a little bit of sludge formation on the bottom (dome end) of the can. Silicon ADBV still very pliable.

Firestone:

20130720_104716-001_zps7f31c4c6.jpg

Tiny little filter, much smaller than other filters I've put on this car. May or may not have been replaced in the Firestone inventory with an e-core, a lot of Firestone filters are now e-cores. Nitrile ADBV was pretty stiff, but didn't break when I bent it.

Fram:

20130720_105457-001_zps697d3501.jpg

20130720_105517-001_zps06683a07.jpg

20130720_105508-001_zps8a2bc864.jpg

Fram-haters will find a lot to like here. This filter was on my 4Runner when I got it, and I changed it out very early because the head gaskets had just been replaced. Probably has less than 500 miles. The filter element is already wavy, and there are two big "dents" on the end caps, as if something (such as an assembly machine?) had grabbed it. That said, there were no signs that the filter did not do its job. The ADBV was still pliable, as you would expect from a newish filter, and the endcaps were secure. So, while I don't like the dents, it won't stop me from using up my stash of free and cheap Fram filters.

One more group shot to show just how tiny the Firestone filter element is:

20130720_110058-001_zpsd64d4dda.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for cutting and posting! Awesome, I've never even heard of a Car and Driver wonder where that come from. Looks like somebodies upper level filter though...Puro maybe?

We have a car that takes that 3614 size. I've cut several competitor's filters open recently. Would you be so kind as to measure how long the filter element is, and how many pleats are on that PH3614 (it looks horrid by the way). I'd like to know for comparison's sake.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I've never even heard of a Car and Driver wonder where that come from. Looks like somebodies upper level filter though...Puro maybe?

I'd say the Car & Driver (?) filter (says "Motor Trend" on the filter) was made by Purolator by the looks of it. Need a shot of the bypass valve to know ... if it has the flat spring on the bypass, then definitely Purolator.

Target used to sell those Motor Trend filters back in the day! That sucker has to be a decade old.

Once again, Fram doesn't disappoint! Always the ugliest.

lol, the "Car and Driver" is actually a Motor Trend, and MT would take offense to it being called a C&D. j/k No doubt a Purolator made(for) filter. That is some serious guck on the baseplate.

The Firestone as mentioned is a Champ, even though the element is small I'd still take it over an ecore. That said, since it's a smallish application it may not be an ecore now.

That's one ugly orange can element for sure. However, since there is a mention of HG replacement, some of that mess may be due to coolant intrusion. OT Just trying to be fair. Course the last I was trying to that I get my head bit off over a hyphen (-). Quite sure there was more to it than the hyphen though.

Thanks for the pics!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've never even heard of a Car and Driver wonder where that come from. Looks like somebodies upper level filter though...Puro maybe?

I'd say the Car & Driver (?) filter (says "Motor Trend" on the filter) was made by Purolator by the looks of it. Need a shot of the bypass valve to know ... if it has the flat spring on the bypass, then definitely Purolator.

No bypass on this one, it's for a GM 4.3. I think I'll just call it a "car magazine" filter from here on out!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How long were all these sitting oil soaked? Ten years could cause the waves if oil soaked.

The "car magazine" filter was sitting for a while. Unfortunately, the Fram doesn't have that excuse. It's not very old at all.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You need to get with the program and get a filter cutter. Looks like someone gnawed the cans off.

Yeah, my teeth really hurt. Sorry to have offended your tender sensibilities.
lol.gif

Thanks for cutting and posting! Awesome, I've never even heard of a Car and Driver wonder where that come from. Looks like somebodies upper level filter though...Puro maybe?

We have a car that takes that 3614 size. I've cut several competitor's filters open recently. Would you be so kind as to measure how long the filter element is, and how many pleats are on that PH3614 (it looks horrid by the way). I'd like to know for comparison's sake.

Thanks!

Total length of the filter element is about 2 5/16", including end caps. 41 pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back