3 Blown Engines This year

The early oil change is to get rid of the stuff from the initial break in period wear which supposedly is much greater than normal engine wear.
Did this at 600 miles on a rebuilt 225 Slant Six back in 88. 1000 on a 99 Cavalier and 1300 miles on the 05 ION I still have.
Old fashioned. Yeah.

and not just engines:

And this is just from one lame site.

2 or 3 engine failures in a year (assuming you're not abusing your vehicles) is likely an example of the occasional clustering of random events.

There is even a branch of statistical analysis for the study of clustering - through the so-called Poisson distribution.

Assuming that engine has been repaired properly, you're no more likely to have another engine failure than anyone else. And anyway, we all know that bad luck runs in threes!

Last edited:
Pentastar and a revision for 2017 I know. The heads we redesigned for MY13 and all 11-13s got a 10 Year 150k miles warranty one the left side head. My misfire was the right side closest to the firewall
We had a '13 300 that got both heads under warranty, and it was well on its way to needing another two when we disposed of it

Something about the average Pentastar V6 that they always seem to sound like death is near

Head Gaskets, cylinder leakdown causing misfires, rockers noisy, flex plates cracking

Shame, as it's a torquey growly V6 that I like, and it was great new

Just doesn't age well...

I've got guys I work with that all have '15-'18 Chargers and Grand Cherokees, all needed major engine surgery before the powertrain warranty ran out

Back