Strange leak on 2013 Accord K24W

Yesterday I readied my 2013 Accord to start up after being stored in a Florida garage for 7 months. Battery maintainer did its job, and car started immediately. No unusual noises and engine ran fine. The next day I noticed several new motor oil drops about 18 inches apart in a line as I backed out the car the night before.

Car has 61K miles and has had 6K oil changes using PP 0w-20 or PP 5w-20. I have no ramps or jack stands at this address, and a cursory look underneath shows no obvious source of the leak. Definitely not the drain plug. Oil was changed last February with only 2,000 miles driven since then. I'm using a Donaldson filter listed for this engine, but I suspect a bad oil filter gasket. I'll have to get a local indie to put the car on a lift for a look see.

When I rechecked the oil level today, it was still full. I called the friend I visited last night, and he said there was no oil leak on his brand new driveway where I parked for two hours. That was good news. Could this have been a dried out engine seal or oil filter gasket that swelled back up after driving 20 miles?

Any other ideas on the likely cause? Thanks.

Accords with the K24 are notorious for having oil trapped in certain 'hidden' places on the subframe due to oil filter placement and removal during an oil change. Most good Acura/Honda techs, and even quickie lubes have a special sort of 'funnel' that redirects the flow of oil into a drain pan when the oil filter is serviced, but if the filter was serviced by a DIY or shop tech without such tool, then the oil that's pooled in the frame can be considerable and only liberated when the car is driven.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Accords with the K24 are notorious for having oil trapped in certain 'hidden' places on the subframe due to oil filter placement and removal during an oil change. Most good Acura/Honda techs, and even quickie lubes have a special sort of 'funnel' that redirects the flow of oil into a drain pan when the oil filter is serviced, but if the filter was serviced by a DIY or shop tech without such tool, then the oil that's pooled in the frame can be considerable and only liberated when the car is driven.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not the problem. The car has been driven for 2,000 miles since the last OC with no sign of previous leaks.

a common leak (if not runoff)is the oil pressure sensor or the vtec oil pressure sensor above that. above the oil filter and cooler (k20) on passenger side right above cv axle. look back there first

Great info
thumbsup2.gif

Do you know what kind of funnel to get? I may have to change the oil on a K24 Accord in the future

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

Great info
thumbsup2.gif

Do you know what kind of funnel to get? I may have to change the oil on a K24 Accord in the future

There's oil deflectors or oil diverters - https://honda.snapon.com/HondaAcura/ItemList.aspx?groupId=1249
and also Form-a-Funnel - https://formafunnel.com/

I got so ticked off with this leak (left drive axle) that I traded in the Accord on a 2017 Camry XLE with only 10K miles. Dealer gave me more for the Honda LX trade in than I paid for it two years ago.

Back