3/8" ratchet feedback needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys are paying 100.00 for an F80 your getting ripped off.

Pickup a nice used 936 from ebay. the 936 is better built then the 80's are although the 80 is finer tooth I believe. I can say I have never broke one but I have worn a few out in 15 years. The nice thing is rebuilds cost nothing and kits are available for cheap on snapon.com

The matco ratchets are nice with comfort grips for around 50-60$

Buy a Williama USA from ebay, I got these 3 for $130 shipped and they are the same as the older snap ons:

DSC00228.jpg

The craftsman thin profile 60 tooth ratchets are nice too.

Last night watching how they hand build the money is no object Veyron it was no surprise to see the unmistakable Stahlwille black and green handled tools used in its assembly.

Originally Posted By: NJC
I want to buy a GOOD 3/8" ratchet, something I can keep for 50yrs and give to my kids. We have the Proto standard pear-shape at work and 7" seems a bit short:

My preference is for a round head, pioneered by SK:

http://www.skhandtool.com/Default.aspx?fusemode=10&pid=4501

Mac makes something along the same lines:

http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-320795-xrr10pa.aspx

and so does Snap_on:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

My own personal 3/8 ratchet is a 50 year old example of this one:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00943781000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&cName=Hand+Tools&sName=Mechanic+Tools

It is round-headed, fine toothed, with a knurled speeder, and a push-button release. Whether this current model is made to the same standards I do not know, but my old one has taken a beating and never had any problem.

I'll email their sales dept but it will be >$100USD

512qr_fot_022.jpg

I emailed the Stahlwille North American distributor in US, and they gave me a toll number to call in Toronto where I HAD TO LEAVE A MESSAGE!
31.gif
I wouldn't have been surprised if they requested I send in a Shreddies box-top, and then they'd mail me ordering information via donkey and cart.
smirk2.gif

He did call back - $136 shipped from Florida. Too much, and they'll never get anywhere with a hopeless and arcane distribution network.

After seeing the options here, I think I'll lube up my Taiwan-made cheapy el-cheapo ratchets included with cheap tool sets given as gifts and use them until they break. Then get some good ones.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I think I'll lube up my Taiwan-made cheapy el-cheapo ratchets
Taking apart any ratchet, cleaning the mechanism & regreasing it makes a big difference with all the ratchets I've done it on. I went through all of my personal ones about a year ago (1/4 & 3/8" Craftsman, 1/2" HF) and went through all the toolboxes at work to do the same thing (mostly Craftsman & SK).

They all work much more smoothly now & should last longer. If nothing else, they're nicer to use.

I dropped one into a pan of ATF a year ago. Still works great! I might have to do that "accidentally" every once in a while.

Snap-on, SK, Mac, Wright...hard to beat these brands. I have Craftsman but not because they are the best quality; they are fairly inexpensive and will be replaced by Craftsman when they break. They are not a great ratchet overall.

Last edited:
Any experience with Armstrong? I've never heard of them. McMaster Carr has this for a decent price.

11_978-979.jpg

8 - 3/8" long; 36 teeth.

I found this on the VW Vortex site. Not sure of veracity:

Quote:
MAJOR MANUFACTURERS

1) STANLEY
a) MAC Tools (Top End)
b) Proto Tools (High Quality Industrial)
c) Black Hawk (High Quality but mostly made in Taiwan)
d) Husky (Home Depot store brand)
e) Stanley (Wal-Mart and Discounters)

2) DANAHER
a) Matco Tools (Top End)
b) Armstrong Tools (High Quality Industrial)
c) Silver Eagle (High Quality but mostly made in Taiwan)
d) Grey Pneumatic (Industrial quality but mostly made in Taiwan)
e) Kobalt (Lowes Store Brand)
f) Craftsman (Sears Store Brand)
g) NAPA (Napa Store Brand)
h) Allen
i) Gear Wrench
j) K-D Tools

3) Snap-On
a) Snap-On Tools (Top End)
b) JH Williams Tools (High Quality Industrial)
c) Blue Point (High Quality but mostly made in Taiwan)
d) Branded hand tools for New Holland and others - mostly Taiwan
e) Bahco
f) Sioux Tools
g) ATI Tools

MINOR PLAYERS BUT STILL LARGE

4) S-K (once part of Facom - now independent. Starting to see S-K tool trucks competing with Snap-On / Mac / Matco / Cornwell)

5) Cornwell (Image similar to Mac / Matco / Snap-on. Claims quality of comparable levels - however your mileage may vary)

6) Wright tools. (Can compete easily at the Matco / Mac / Proto / Armstrong levels of quality)

7) Lisle tools (much smaller - but many almost unique tools)

EUROPEAN (just for good measure - major players)

1) Stahlwille - The Snap-on of Europe. Best of the best - king of the hill.

2) Facom - Literally a truck brand there like Matco / Mac / Snap-on here.

3) Hazet - Very nice in most cases

4) Gedore - Quality industrial grade

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3536561&postid=45172202#45172202

Any experience with Armstrong? I've never heard of them. McMaster Carr has this for a decent price.

11_978-979.jpg

8 - 3/8" long; 36 teeth.

I really like Armstrong tools, never been disappointed while using them in an industrial setting.

Just FYI Facom is part of the Stanley Works brands.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

Really? The Facom I know of is an almost 100 year old French toolmaker, they make good quality stuff- like ratchets. Stanley must be a distributor for them here.

Although 95% of my tools are Snap-On, all of my ratchets are Matco. And I've had great luck with them, over 5 years being used everyday and have never broken one.

Originally Posted By: ms21043
Originally Posted By: tom slick

Really? The Facom I know of is an almost 100 year old French toolmaker, they make good quality stuff- like ratchets. Stanley must be a distributor for them here.

Stanley bought them a couple of years ago just after Facom sold S-K to its employees.

http://www.facom.com/com/company/history/2006.php

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Find a used Snap-On from ebay.

I'm hoping I can get a job as a lube tech at a dealershp as my brother is a tool guy and I can get a deal. My Craftsman stuff I would not miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back