3.5 ecoboost requires 5w30 but 5w20 on 3.5 ti-vct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
And so we wrap up another thick vs thin saga here at Bitog. Until next time.

12.gif
35.gif
36.gif
happy2.gif

You forgot one!!
18.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
That's a cop-out. Ford REQUIRES 5w-50 or 5w-20 for the Mustang GT depending on whether you have the track pack or not. By your own admission OEM's don't spec a variety of oils anymore in most cases. Running the lightest oil specified in a BMW that spec's 10w-60 leaves you with.... 10w-60! This is like telling people there's no reason to run 10w-60 in a Veyron that spec's it and then telling them to run what the manual says.... WHICH IS 10w-friggin-60!
crazy2.gif

Are you honestly arguing that somebody is better served running their base GT, which does NOT have a factory oil cooler, on 5w-20 at the track and just assuming that their engine going thermal and cutting power is a better approach than Ford's own technique of modifying or deleting that safety mechanism and running a heavier lubricant in conjunction with an oil cooler? That sounds a bit ridiculous to me. It sounds like the base GT is geared for people whose vehicles will never see a racetrack. And if, by chance, they do, there are safeties in place to prevent the engine oil from getting too hot and unable to provide adequate protection under those circumstances, and so the engine cuts power so that it doesn't spin a rod bearing or 8.

Guys planning on tracking them, Ford is betting, will opt for the Track Pack version, which comes with a big 'ol honkin' oil cooler and spec's 5w-50. So they can go hog wild and not worry about tossing some bi-metal shells into the pan
smirk.gif

If your only argument here was that a heavier lubricant is not optimal much of the time, I'd agree with you. But positing that there is no reason to run a heavier lubricant, which was your initial statement, is ridiculous. If that was the case, OEM's wouldn't do it. But they DO do it, and I'd bet that the OEM's know more about engine design than either of us, which means that one of us is wrong, and since I'm the one siding with the OEM, my money is on that person being you.

Huh? The Performance Pack Mustang GTs don't call for 5W-50.. only the GT350 with the 5.2L Voodoo does..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rsalan
That's a cop-out. Ford REQUIRES 5w-50 or 5w-20 for the Mustang GT depending on whether you have the track pack or not. By your own admission OEM's don't spec a variety of oils anymore in most cases. Running the lightest oil specified in a BMW that spec's 10w-60 leaves you with.... 10w-60! This is like telling people there's no reason to run 10w-60 in a Veyron that spec's it and then telling them to run what the manual says.... WHICH IS 10w-friggin-60!
crazy2.gif

Are you honestly arguing that somebody is better served running their base GT, which does NOT have a factory oil cooler, on 5w-20 at the track and just assuming that their engine going thermal and cutting power is a better approach than Ford's own technique of modifying or deleting that safety mechanism and running a heavier lubricant in conjunction with an oil cooler? That sounds a bit ridiculous to me. It sounds like the base GT is geared for people whose vehicles will never see a racetrack. And if, by chance, they do, there are safeties in place to prevent the engine oil from getting too hot and unable to provide adequate protection under those circumstances, and so the engine cuts power so that it doesn't spin a rod bearing or 8.

Guys planning on tracking them, Ford is betting, will opt for the Track Pack version, which comes with a big 'ol honkin' oil cooler and spec's 5w-50. So they can go hog wild and not worry about tossing some bi-metal shells into the pan
smirk.gif

If your only argument here was that a heavier lubricant is not optimal much of the time, I'd agree with you. But positing that there is no reason to run a heavier lubricant, which was your initial statement, is ridiculous. If that was the case, OEM's wouldn't do it. But they DO do it, and I'd bet that the OEM's know more about engine design than either of us, which means that one of us is wrong, and since I'm the one siding with the OEM, my money is on that person being you.

Huh? The Performance Pack Mustang GTs don't call for 5W-50.. only the GT350 with the 5.2L Voodoo does..

I was pasting from a thread, you'll have to ask someone more familiar with the engines in question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MNgopher

We're all entitled to our opinion.
wink.gif
When Ford back spec'd some of their engines from a 20 grade to a 30 grade oil to reduce warranty claims, or electronically castrates them when things get a little out of hand for the 20 grade oils that tells me something. But we've beaten that horse to death here. Bottom line, run what you think is best for your application.

Curious which applications electronically castrate the engine due to engine oils? Got a specific?

Here ya go, this is one of many: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3384902/1 He uses cripple and castrate as terms for the ECM cutting power to engines spec'd for 20 grade oils in the thread.

And using your Ford example, does Ford recommend anything heavier than the spec' 5W-20 for the Mustang GT even for track use regardless of how high the oil temp's get? Again the answer is no.

No, instead they cripple the engine if the oil temps get too high. So instead of giving people options, they castrate the engine. Again, that does nothing to prove your point. In fact rather, it works to prove MINE.

From an engineering view point there is more than one way to deal with high oil temp's than running heavier oil. In fact that's very much the last thing you want do with all the negatives associated with running heavier oil grades when you are not seeing high oil temp's.

Then why do companies do it? Give me some REAL REASONS why Ferrari, with their expertise, Ford, with theirs, Porsche, with theirs, BMW, with theirs, Mercedes, with theirs, GM, with theirs....etc Continue to recommend heavy oils when they apparently have a myriad of ways of otherwise dealing with the issue? I mean, they leverage factory thermostatically controlled oil coolers, huge sumps....etc, yes STILL require heavier oils. So do you know something the engineers from these companies don't? I mean you DID mention "from an engineering standpoint" which would mean that you've worked at engineering lubrication systems for high power density engines for an OEM and have intimate knowledge of the design process in order to make such statements, correct?

My advise to anyone with a late model car, is to take full advantage of all the safety management systems that have been engineered into your car and run the lightest oil specified.
There is no lubrication benefit in using anything heavier.

crazy2.gif

smirk.gif

[/quote]

You doing nothing for your blanket statement other than if you track your car you should use a thicker grade. If a F-1 car only get up to highway speeds a 16 grade will provide the nessary thickness for protection. You are making all this noise and what is the highest oil temp your vehicle will see?

Let me clear up some confusion. The quotes were from this thread, they aren't mine: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3384902/1 I was answering a question posed by MNgopher.
Originally Posted by MNgopher

We're all entitled to our opinion.
wink.gif
When Ford back spec'd some of their engines from a 20 grade to a 30 grade oil to reduce warranty claims, or electronically castrates them when things get a little out of hand for the 20 grade oils that tells me something. But we've beaten that horse to death here. Bottom line, run what you think is best for your application.

Curious which applications electronically castrate the engine due to engine oils? Got a specific?

As far as a blanket statement, I did say this:
Bottom line, run what you think is best for your application.

Read through that thread - what a waste of time. Too much ego in there for my blood.

At the end of the day, it all comes back to using the right oil for the application. The example cited was running a mustang on the track, and that the 5w20 non-track pack engine protects itself from high oil temps, where the track pack version does not.

Once could simply make the arguement that each oil provides adequate protection for what it was designed for - and be right. No different here.

You probably should have just quoted the thread or posted that link initially, instead of making the definitive statement you made without backing it up.

Let me clear up some confusion. The quotes were from this thread, they aren't mine: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3384902/1 I was answering a question posed by MNgopher.

Screenshot_20181205-073249_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
You probably should have just quoted the thread or posted that link initially, instead of making the definitive statement you made without backing it up.

The only thing this does is reinforce the Ford recommendation to use 5W20 when recommended. It shows when Ford recommends 5W20 it is certain it's adequate.

Good point wemay.

Originally Posted by dave1251
The only thing this does is reinforce the Ford recommendation to use 5W20 when recommended. It shows when Ford recommends 5W20 it is certain it's adequate.

True in most cases, but when they change the spec from 5w20 to 5w30 to reduce warranty claims, it wasn't adequate in those applications. FTR I linked to only one thread in my reply to MNgopher, there were quite a few more. And once again, use what makes you feel comfortable based on your own homework, that's what I did, and I'm sure that's what you did as well.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Being Thick Curious, I'm comfortable running 5w30 in applications calling for 5w20 and chalk it up to CAFE, even though Ford brought in 5w20 to the Taurus line 17 years ago.

Then run 10W-40, because 5W-30 is also brought to you by "Cafe" if that's the case. How many nonsense threads do we need on Ford's back spec with the resulting "thick oil" circle jerk? I also wouldn't use 5W-20 where it's spec'd, though. why bother with so many top notch synthetic 0W-20's?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by chainblu
Of course 5w20 is for CAFE standards. This has been the case since 2001 when Ford and Honda started recommending this grade for most of their vehicles. Many of these vehicles are now rolling over 300,000 miles on 5w20, so the predicted clogged roadways with dead and dying vehicles never happened at all. The same was said about 40 years ago when 5w30 was the recommended oil (per CAFE).

Exactly! If you have a turbo that could conceivably run hotter despite an oil cooler, by all means use the proper spec'd 5W-30 in full syn. But trying to compare two different 3.5L's as apples to apples is just nonsense...

Good point wemay.

thumbsup2.gif
been there too.

Say NO to any 5Wx20
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Use 0Wx20 if you want to. Much better base oil than any 5Wx20.
Otherwise you can use a good synthetic 5Wx30 or 0Wx30

As a thickie (relative term I suppose) member, if applicable to MY engine and I'm not recommending that you follow this:
I would take any 0Wx20 over any conventional 5Wx30 or any 5Wx20!
However, I would take a very good synthetic 5Wx30 (good base) over all of the above even if my car specified 5Wx20 or 0Wx20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rsalan
crazy2.gif

smirk.gif

He is probably referring to the 2013-2014 Mustang GT's with the track pack. Possibly 2012 too but I don't remember. Starting in 2015, both versions of the Mustang GT specified 5W-20. As far as I know, it's the same for the current GT's.

I run 5W-20 in my non-track pack 2014 GT and don't worry about it. I'm not going to pretend I know more than the manufacturer of this engine as far as oil viscosity is concerned. If it blows up on the 5W-20 than so be it.

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I agree too,me being a thickie.

5W-30 is thick?
Wouldn't let that watery garbage anywhere near my engines.

Yeah, Redline 5w30 is watery garbage. You must be using that He-man 20w50 stuff for your oil burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back