3.5 Ecoboost Oil, I've decided.

I have two ford fusions with the 1.5 turbo engines 2016 and 2018 and had no problems withe the engines at all running mobil 1 AP 5w30 oil at 5000 mile oil changes. When i can fine the new mobil 1 EP 20000 mile oil with the SP spec that will be my new oil.

Originally Posted by tdi jerry
I have two ford fusions with the 1.5 turbo engines 2016 and 2018 and had no problems withe the engines at all running mobil 1 AP 5w30 oil at 5000 mile oil changes. When i can fine the new mobil 1 EP 20000 mile oil with the SP spec that will be my new oil.

Mobil said their M1 passed without any changes. While debate exist as to as exactly how many of their products may or may not have passed I would expect EP (being the new flagship) at least to have made the grade so other than bottle markings I doubt you gain anything.

Mobil may have passed the SP test with their EP, but they still need to slightly beef the EP to meet the deposed AP 20k miles guarantee. The AP is gone from several big stores I visited in the past week, while looking at center tube holes of several high efficiency oil filters. So I'm expecting the 20k EP in SP within a week or three. It sells pretty good here and surely doesn't want increasing competition from Castrol Edge EP, which is widely available at places like Walmart.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
Mobil may have passed the SP test with their EP, but they still need to slightly beef the EP to meet the deposed AP 20k miles guarantee. The AP is gone from several big stores I visited in the past week, while looking at center tube holes of several high efficiency oil filters. So I'm expecting the 20k EP in SP within a week or three. It sells pretty good here and surely doesn't want increasing competition from Castrol Edge EP, which is widely available at places like Walmart.

Call me sceptical but I wouldn't be surprised if the big change was the packaging.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
That's PosseBull

So what did you decide on?.....lol

Likely will end up with Castrol Edge but...

But that Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W30 "SN/SN Plus" sure does intrigue. A 3.5+ HTHS Oil that meets Ford requirements of API SN 5W-30.

My Colorado likes the Walmart 0w40 Castrol Euro. This vehicle was always sensitive to cold start clatter, unless I used an Ecore. Well last winter I used K&N with the 0w40 and it never clattered once. Plus, consumption fell 50% ...a half-quart.
The Castrol must leave a protective film that this engine hasn't seen before. However, this is no plug for Castrol GTX. That one I had problems with.... varnish.
Want to try Castrol Edge EP in our Kia.

2.7 EB owner here, still under warranty. Switched to 10-30 PP and it doesn't get noisy towards the end of the interval. I'm changing every 7.5k. Maybe that's overkill, but timing chain motors at 10k intervals seems nuts to me, and these have a lot of chains to chew on oil.

M

Back