3/4" hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNT

I was shopping yesterday and went crazy myself! Not only that, there was SO MANY people shopping at big stores, while we were supposed to "stay-at-home". Yes, I hopped from Walmart-Menards-HomeDepot (just looking for garden hose).

Since I need to buy a new hose (and hose reel), so I just thought to try do it right this time... In my mind, I was looking for 3/4" hose (more water? better pressure?). Now, while beating myself up, I was looking at the advertisements, such "kink-free" and "crush-proof" and all kinds of other "buy me because I got this". Even my wife texted me concerning about why I was out so long! Then, at last store (Home Depot), I finally had the (100ft) 3/4" hose in my cart (yes, I was wearing Milwaukee dipped gloves and sanitized the cart handles). And picked the cheapest (all plastic) hose reel. Then start thinking... the reel (including the 3' reel leading hose) and the outside faucet are already 5/8" (or might even be smaller). Correct me here... because of that, buying the 3/4" hose wouldn't make a difference than buying 5/8" hose?

I have well water for outside, I know the pipes are 3/4" all the way to the faucet, then some bottleneck from there. FWIW, I end up bought the 150ft "medium duty" 5/8" ordinary hose. It's hasn't be used yet, so can return it if we talked about something in here... If you had to ask, no, it's not for drinking water, and it's for washing cars, water grass-dead spots, running water in the lawn mower housing, and things like that. Actually, I was thinking of making a "sink" for outside (for washing paint equipment, drywall mud, etc). Man, a hose is a hose LOL.

Last edited:
You also need to see if your well pump can keep up with a 5/8" hose wide open. I bet mine can't. Code is something like 5 gallons per minute minimum.

Buy a cheap hose it kinks,hard to wind up, doesn't last and brass ends are junk.

Just want to make sure I understand you... you suggesting to get (keep) cheap hose?

You also need to see if your well pump can keep up with a 5/8" hose wide open.

Been using 5/8" hose for years with this well pump (I have a little pressure tank in basement), works fine for me. Water actually comes out of the hose, just not like a fire fighter hose. I have pressure washer too (realized it's too strong, can't use it for washing cars).

Larger diameter still helps even though there's a smaller-diameter hose at some point.

For example, around here you pay $ for a 5/8" water main, $$ for a 3/4". So everyone has 5/8" main installed and runs at least 3/4" (probably 1") from it to house.

I imagine that Fitter30 meant to say: "IF you" buy a cheap hose it kinks,hard to wind up, doesn't last and brass ends are junk. His pressure chart is excellent.

Theoretically, your 3/4 inch home plumbing should provide 10 to 13 gallons water per minute (eljefino comment important). Looking at Fitter's chart and a conservative 10 gpm, at 100 ft of garden hose, the 3/4 in. will loose 15 lbs. of pressure. The 5/8 in hose will lose 30 lbs. of pressure.

What is your current water pressure at the hose bib? If it is 60 lbs, your pressure at 100 ft. away will be 45 or 30, respectively.

Regarding smaller 5/8" valves, etc. in your water system, I was taught that going through a very tiny distance at a smaller diameter does NOT affect flow rates and pressure significantly, within reason. Its all about the friction created by the diameter AND length. Going through a smaller valve is not equivalent to many feet of smaller pipe/hose.

I have good experience with U.S. made Flexogen heavy duty 8 ply hose at my workplace, both outdoors and in our greenhouses. I haven't priced out hose in a while, but I "think" the Flexogen is a good value - quality per price outlay, about in the middle. Rubber is excellent, but does not hold up well in our greenhouse use. Buy once, cry once. I imagine there are other great products out there.

I like a 1/2" hose if it's going to be long, so much lighter to work with. I have 2 x 100' hoses that I connect together to wash our home (vinyl), one is 1/2" and the other is 5/8"
I don't need great flow (no in-ground pool) and just to water the grass & wash the van I use the 1/2" hose - the 5/8" hose is heavier and more cumbersome to work with.

I have 2 x 100' hoses that I connect together to wash

That happens... sometimes (or often) 100' isn't enough, so thus, I got the 150' one hose
wink.gif

Swan. Not cheap. I have 75 ft 5/8" Anything that does not "kink" stays are as a brick in winter. Mine kinks..no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back