3.4 fourrunner sludged and smoking, now whats(includes pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not agree more about not pushing weak OTC dino oil past 3000 miles without UOA. The modern corvettes use gear drives right off the crank. Alot of vechiles use gear drive for ballance shafts right off the crank. Alot of oil pumps on modern engine designs also use gear drive from crank to avoid belts and chains. Straight cut gears generate alot more heat, and noise especialy at idle then helical cut gears. The engines in question have a pretty good history prior to 1997. I reliase that gears drives definately shear cheap VI's but I doubt that that is engines fault. Cheap VI's have no place in oil to begin with. The shearing should not be a huge factor in the sludge problem either but a minor player(opion only). I think that if anything the coolant system and emiision system would be primary contributors on top of owner neglect.

Their are many subtle indicators of sludge building up in an engine. First you see sludge bits in oil drain pan. Second you have the rancid/burnt smell of the oil. Third the oil fill cap usualy shows accumulation. Fourth your oil turns black within a few hundred miles of an oil change. Fith you might see sludge on the dipstick. Sixth oil consumption usualy goes up on engines that are sludgeing up quickly. I know that you do not always see these right away but surley you would see some of them before an engine was chocked with sludge.

I agree that all manufatures are pushing the extended drain issue a bit to much considering the oil they are recomending(5W30 dino). Toyota was stupid to recomend 5000 mile drain interval for sever schedule in hot running high reveing 4 cyl. engines with small sump capacity and cheap 5W30 dino oil. The old 3.0 V6 were almost bullet proof prior to 1997 when useing heavy oils and 3000 mile drain intervals.

I laughed when the dealership sales staff told me to use 5000 mile change interval with 5W30 for sever driveing and 7500 mile as non-sever schedule. They walk you through the owners manual right before you take possesion of your new car. Then I get into my car and what do I see in the corner of the window. I see a Valvoline oil change sticker with next oil change reading 3000 miles. You would think that sales and serive could get on the same page. I would hate to be a uninformed consumer!! Sorry so long!!!!

[ June 27, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

I'll say it again: The 3.4 L does not have an inherent sludge problem. It is an overbuilt truck engine with a timing belt and an oil cooler. I know of several with >150K on them with the oil changed every 7.5K using conventional oil. No sludge. The 3.0 L has the sludge problem.

Many here are quoting manuals for 3750mi intervals and 5K interval, etc.

What do those same manuals say about the time between changes?

I believe each carmaker specifies to change a Xmiles or Y months, whichever occurs first.

So to focus solely on the 5K vs 7500 interval is to miss that on average, the changes were over 6.6 months apart.

But to be my own devils advocate, you really can't even say that is the cause, I'm just trying to stir up the discussion. However, if the vehicle was operated on the "aunt minnie" cycle of a lot of short trips then we know this is hard on the oil.

I have a "weekend" vehicle that gets a Mobil 1 change every six months. However, when I take it out, I might drive it 50-150 miles, so it does get a workout. So I have a low mileage vehicle, but I don't drive the "aunt minnie" cycle.

So even looking only at mileage, we cannot claim to say with any certainty that change intervals are the cause. You also need to know a bit more about the typical usage pattern of the vehicle. What about the workload, etc.

TB

One of the problems of getting to the bottom of this is there is a certain woman school teacher who has made herself the consumer advocate on this and is heading a class action suit.

That woman is disgusting. She goes around challenging others to prove negatives: "Prove that these engines will NOT sludge up"

Does she teach kids to think like that???

quote:

Originally posted by Drstressor:
I'll say it again: The 3.4 L does not have an inherent sludge problem. It is an overbuilt truck engine with a timing belt and an oil cooler. I know of several with >150K on them with the oil changed every 7.5K using conventional oil. No sludge. The 3.0 L has the sludge problem.

I have the 3.0 and no sludge here!
smile.gif

If I could figure out how to post pics I would upload pics of under filler cap and dipstick. Both are very clean. When I bought the truck at 56,000 miles I changed the oil every 2000 miles for the first 2 changes using dino. I then ran M1 for 3000 miles and changed it. The follow up after the M1 was to use Mobil Drive Clean Synth Blend for 3000 miles. I am now on a regular interval of M1 10-30 for 5000-6000 miles or 6 months since my vehicle will see "severe service".

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles.

At least one auto manufacturer was honest enough to state "we lowered the cost of maintenance to offset the higher initial cost of the vehicle".

This is not a bad strategy if a large percent of your new vehicles are driven off the lot via lease. A couple of factors:

1. The less the car is taken to the dealership, the better for the manufacturer. Once at the dealership, the odds go up the owner will complain about this and that minor annoyance and next thing the manufacturer knows, he's got a warranty claim(s).

2. Leasees, as opposed to those who purchased their vehicles outright, may tend to be somwhat less religious regarding their oil changes figuring it will be "somebody else's problem" after the lease. Hence the free oil changes and regular maintenance for the first three years.

[ June 28, 2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

BTW, do you still have the oil filter for this 4runner when you took these pixs, try to cut in apart and post pix!! Also, how often you change the air filter?? This may be another hint to the why's here? My 2.

I do know that Toyota was replacing some gaskets (intake and/or head) on some V-6 motors in the 1997 and 1998 period. If this were my vehicle, I would want to know whether or not it was one that had or should have had the gasket(s) replaced. Am not sure a coolant leak would have caused this sludge, but would be curious to know if this motor were one that was subject to the gasket failure problem. Dealers were getting a kit with all the gaskets necessary to do the job and it was a silent recall as I understood it. Have seen a couple of Toyota motors sludged up about like the one at issue. Cause was real simple; few or no oil changes.

quote:

Originally posted by got boost?:
throw a quart of tranny fluid + kerosene in and run it for twenty minutes then change the oil and filter.

NO!
nono.gif

That will most likely loosen some chunks of the sludge which will then plug the oil pickup screen and convert that engine into a boat anchor. Anyway, ATF has no detergents...why do folks think that it's such a wonderful cleaner?

Ken

[ June 30, 2003, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back