3.2% diameter increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can get what I think is a steal on a set of Blizzacks for my 2012 Elantra. The size is 205/60-16 and the factory tires are 205/55-16. I've read that increasing diameter by more than 3% may affect ABS performance. I don't know the reasons for this but at any rate 3.2% is close to that limit. Thoughts?

My understanding is that ABS is a difference between wheels. So you dont want something majorly off between axles (and definitely not on the same axle, of course).

So long as there is consistency in the readings, I dont see how the ABS can be fooled really. Speedometer calibration is another story, but shouldnt come into play.

Thats my understanding. The newest ABS/traction systems may be different...

+ 1 on the stability control potential issues.

I'd still get those tires. A little extra height in the snow should be a good thing.

I guess it could effect the ABS but, as long as you are running all 4 tires of the same size there shouldn't be any issues, only with the speedometer accuracy(small)

The ABS sensors still count revolutions on the ring gear so, I doubt you'll have any problems.

I do know folks that do this all the time w/o issues in regards to ABS.

Make sure that the 205-60's will not rub anything inside the wheelwell such as the struts. Tires can often fit in the wheelwells(or look as though they will) but could rub against something else due to being too tall.

I was looking to do the exact same thing size wise. Go from a 205-55-16 to a 205-60-16 but was talked out of it. Since I could save $20 per tire with the larger size on some Generals. The speedo would be off and Walmart wouldn't even mount them for me. Although they may have if I brought them the wheels off the car but what a hassle. I ended up getting an even better deal on some Hankooks via DTT. I was told the diameter would increase by one inch. Even the larger 17 optional tires on the Matrix are xxx-50-17's. I asked Tirerack and they didn't support the idea either.

I have heard of cases where the computer knows the tire diameter has changed significantly and this causes issues - some just error messages, and some driveability issues.

Unfortunately, I have heard this for several vehicles and their doesn't appear to be any commonality.

I urge caution!!

Over the years, I have found many instances where people will tell me things that I know can not be true. In almost every instance where I point this out, I get negative feedback - sometimes quite hostile. As a technical guy, I found this a very interesting phenomenon. I have learned to be careful about how I say things and when I say them. Sometimes I just let sleeping dogs lie.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Over the years, I have found many instances where people will tell me things that I know can not be true. In almost every instance where I point this out, I get negative feedback - sometimes quite hostile.

Some people get very emotional when their long held beliefs are being questioned because all of a sudden they are proven to be wrong. Human nature at work, I suppose.

What are those stages of change, again? Denial, Resistance, Exploration, Commitment. Some people will never make it past stage 2.

Better to get a minus 2 14" steelies package and 70 series in snows no larger than 195mm. Thats what i did for my honda. It goes in the snows! iF YOUR GETTING A KILLER DEAL THOUGH ... BUT 2X PER YEAR MOUNT AND BALANCE IS COST PROHIBITIVE FOR ME.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
B BUT 2X PER YEAR MOUNT AND BALANCE IS COST PROHIBITIVE FOR ME.

Can't you swap them out yourself?

Not sure that they need to be balanced every time you mount unless there is noticeable vibration.

The tires are on CL, new never been mounted (it's claimed) for $150. I just looked at my car and it looks like the only possible interference will be with the struts but I won't know until I install them. I have the steel wheels in my basement waiting for use and my son works at a Meineke and can mount them for me. I think it's worth a shot and if it doesn't work out I can probably make my money back so it's only the effort which will be wasted, but not really, something to do.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I guess it could effect the ABS but, as long as you are running all 4 tires of the same size there shouldn't be any issues, only with the speedometer accuracy(small)

The ABS sensors still count revolutions on the ring gear so, I doubt you'll have any problems.

I do know folks that do this all the time w/o issues in regards to ABS.

Make sure that the 205-60's will not rub anything inside the wheelwell such as the struts. Tires can often fit in the wheelwells(or look as though they will) but could rub against something else due to being too tall.
+1 ABS ain't as smart as people think.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
The tires are on CL, new never been mounted (it's claimed) for $150. I just looked at my car and it looks like the only possible interference will be with the struts but I won't know until I install them. I have the steel wheels in my basement waiting for use and my son works at a Meineke and can mount them for me. I think it's worth a shot and if it doesn't work out I can probably make my money back so it's only the effort which will be wasted, but not really, something to do.

Knowing all of this, GO FOR IT!

Check the manufacture date. If you do not know how to interpret it there probably are sites on the internet explaining it.

In Britten if a tire is more than 6 years old it will not pass inspection.

And consider that you will want to get several years out of them, do you want them to be over 6 years old during the last year of you using them.

While strictly winter tires are ran in colder weather than others, and it may be possible that running a six year or more old tire in cold weather is not a problem, then again in cold weather a tire is stiffer and may be subject to cracking if the rubber is too old.

And with older tires (if they are older than 6 years) there is greater chance they will be damaged when mounting.

And also if you are dealing with old tires, and you do highway driving do you want to take the chance of a tire failure at highway speeds.

There was a TV news show (20/20, or 60 minutes, I can't remember which one) that showed a large number of vehicles all of which had been in a major crash due to a sudden tire failure when the tire was more than 6 years old. That news show then went on to explain that the new from the store tire the father bought from a store and had mounted by that store was more than 6 years old, and when it blew his son who was driving was killed.

So paying attention to how old the tires are is another major concern to keep in mind.

A couple of things I'd look at with used winter tires.

First, the size isn't enough of a difference to matter. I'm running lightly larger (but skinner) snow tires on the focus for winter and no rubbing, etc. Slight decline in gas mileage, but I think that's from the ultra soft compound.

Snow tires are only "good" for snow the first 1/4 or 1/3 tread. Usually after that, they lose their siping and are no different that a summer tire

Also, if the previous owner ran them in the warmer weather too long, they are probably worn out.

ALl in all, $150 for a mounted set of snow tires isn't a bad deal at all.

I had a '98 Corolla for years with 185:65:14 and I tried 185:70:14 on it... 3 different makes/models and the car rode/ran bad.
Went back to the original 185:65:14's and it works like new again.
Almost like the tranny/chassis didn't like the "tune" of the slightly larger tires.

All the best.

Bob

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Over the years, I have found many instances where people will tell me things that I know can not be true. In almost every instance where I point this out, I get negative feedback - sometimes quite hostile. As a technical guy, I found this a very interesting phenomenon. I have learned to be careful about how I say things and when I say them. Sometimes I just let sleeping dogs lie.

It's amazing how technical subjects like auto maintenence can bring out the testosterone in some guys.

Many times I too have had to keep silent. If the other person becomes insistent, I'll stop, unless it's someting that affects me personally. This can be difficult if you're in an "audience" situation.

A long time ago I was pointing to the summer solstice setting sun, and the person told me that was east. After getting nowhere with her, I learned to drop the matter, because it didn't affect me personally.

It depends on the car. I tried +0(from 235/45-17 to 245/45-17 diameter increases by 1%) on my E430 8-9 years ago, it didn't like it at all. Had ABS warning on after about couple weeks, switch back to 235/45-17 of the same brand and all was well.

Currently have 205/50-17 Front 235/45-17 Rear on S2000, OEM sizes are 215/45-17 Front 245/40-17 Rear. So the new set are about 2.5% larger and no problem at all, the ride is a little softer and handling is a little less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back