3,000 Mile Oil Change

Anything less than 5,000 miles is a "money flush". Even then........
Even in a DI engine that is subject to short trips where the engine never gets fully up to operating temp? I've smelled the gasoline in the oil in that scenario, so I think this is a highly debatable statement.

I think in most cases, you are probably right. But it is just too generalized.

Even in a DI engine that is subject to short trips where the engine never gets fully up to operating temp? I've smelled the gasoline in the oil in that scenario, so I think this is a highly debatable statement.

I think in most cases, you are probably right. But it is just too generalized.
The smell of the oil has no bearing on when the oil needs to be changed-not color for that matter.

Anything less than 5,000 miles is a "money flush". Even then........
I mean, thats kind of a blanket statement that cant be backed up... all engines are different. Subaru boxers are known to dilute oil with fuel. Short trips are known to be bad for oil. Im talking 8 minute drive where oil temp barely reaches 120F, five days a week, for a whole winter. Thats not a money flush, thats good care to keep the oil fresh rather than full of water and fuel.

+1 Mango Dragonfruit Lemonade is my kryptonite.
Is yours also a daily fix?

I mean, thats kind of a blanket statement that cant be backed up... all engines are different. Subaru boxers are known to dilute oil with fuel. Short trips are known to be bad for oil. Im talking 8 minute drive where oil temp barely reaches 120F, five days a week, for a whole winter. Thats not a money flush, thats good care to keep the oil fresh rather than full of water and fuel.

I can't relate to this claim. I have seven UOA from my wife's '13 Outback 2.5l. The last UOA was at 120k miles. All seven of them report fuel % at <0.5. So the Outback is on a 7,500 oci. Always has been. Nothing in any of those UOA's that say I should be changing any more frequently.

I can't relate to this claim. I have seven UOA from my wife's '13 Outback 2.5l. The last UOA was at 120k miles. All seven of them report fuel % at <0.5. So the Outback is on a 7,500 oci. Always has been. Nothing in any of those UOA's that say I should be changing any more frequently.
I suppose I made a blanket statement myself ;) the 2.0 and 2.5 specifically are known for commonly showing fuel dilution in oil. Obviously this doesn't mean that all Subaru engines suffer from it. For ever owner like you that has less than half a percent of FD, theres a guy or two with 3% or higher ive seen inside a 5k oil change interval. This forum actually has quite a few comments regarding the fuel dilution issue thanks to GDI FB series engines.

Don't try to counter hogwash with facts......

I still do on both of my 98 Chevy trucks since that is what is recommended even though oils are better now than they were back then plus these trucks don't get many miles on them a year.
On my 2014 Mustang, I do every 5,000 miles even though it has an OLM. I want to keep the timing components healthy for as long as possible.
On the 92 Cavaliers I do every 5,000 miles as well.

My wife drives a short distance to Starbucks every day, which qualifies as severe service and as such I change the oil. I don't like Starbucks. I believe Starbucks will destroy Western Civilization.
The Tv has destroyed Western Civilization already.

With a Jeep you need a mechanic on board at all times, not just an oil monitor
I mean I'm driving it so it basically does. :LOL: To be fair, for a 167k mile vehicle it has been flawless so far. Helps that it is a pristine California Jeep that I bought from the original and only owner who was an aircraft mechanic.

Another thread in which posters ignore well validated IOLMs as well as conservative specified oil change intervals and go their own way instead.
This is the if oil changes are good then more must be better school of thought as though manufacturers couldn't figure obvious things like fuel dilution out.

Back