3,000 Mile Oil Change

66% of vehicles in my stable are new-to-me, so they get the 3000 mile OCI, for about 3-5 OCIs. After that, if nothing abnormal is noted, I move onto 5000 mile OCI. I use mostly HDEO and/or Euro oils.
Although I will say that the 3k OCI does give me the warm fuzzies from over maintaining my vehicles, feels nice to splurge like that 😂.

I haven’t followed the 3000 mile OCI in about twenty years now. I love how much time and money I have saved and haven’t had any engine problems at all. I follow the oil life monitor in both of my cars and it works out to about 7k in the Corvette and 10k in the Civic.

Another thread in which posters ignore well validated IOLMs as well as conservative specified oil change intervals and go their own way instead.
This is the if oil changes are good then more must be better school of thought as though manufacturers couldn't figure obvious things like fuel dilution out.

Following the time based interval (not mileage based) per the manufacturers manual is “going your own way?”

Me but only because my two cars are classics , i go 3000-4500 , regardless of the time, if it's 2 years so be it i run high TBN full saps oils anyway.

I would not be scared of going 10k in a modern car with a good synthetic, since i don't do short trips or much city driving.

My wife drives a short distance to Starbucks every day, which qualifies as severe service and as such I change the oil. I don't like Starbucks. I believe Starbucks will destroy Western Civilization.
Just read a story that said the average cost of a cup of coffee at Starbucks is between $3-$5. Most people spend more than that with shots of this or that (words I can't even pronounce like Machiotto or something.)

Adds up.

Oil is relatively cheap engines are expensive. Penny wise pound foolish, for those who say shorter OCIs are a money flush.

These same people will then spend many hours messing with piston soaks, UOAs, etc....

I change oil at shorter intervals and use flushes or engine cleaner because I like clean engines and do not like gummed rings, to each his own.

Oil is relatively cheap engines are expensive. Penny wise pound foolish, for those who say shorter OCIs are a money flush.

These same people will then spend many hours messing with piston soaks, UOAs, etc....

I change oil at shorter intervals and use flushes or engine cleaner because I like clean engines and do not like gummed rings, to each his own.

Order of Importance:

Oil < Machine < Person

Some people forget who is serving who I think.

I was in the 5 - 6k camp with moderate commuter usage, and up to 9k with the wifes long highway commutes.

Worked fine and dandy.

Now I am retired with saddled with a Ford sporting engine killing D.I. and super high compression on 87 E10, I get to about 2300 miles before an oil change.

Have to do it 2x per year seasonally Spring and Fall.

But that was not enough, the once sporty sounding mazda/ford engine is sick running the prescribed 5W20. Rattles and knocks and raps. Sometimes a 1/2 qt of oil disappears in a day if I have that rare 45min highway trip.

Oh well I tried.

Anyone still perform 3,000 mile oil changes? Using synthetic blend or synthetic oil. The severe maintenance schedule in my owners manual requires 3,750 mile oil changes and normal service is 7,500 miles.
Living living in Tucson where the weather is extremely hot. Hwy temps can run 120+F and all the desert dust which gets into everything, I change oil every 3,700 M. I would anyway. It's just not that much $$ to worry about it if you're doing it yourself.

I'm doing 3K oil changes for the Ford F150 even using M1 synthetic (using 5W-30 instead of the specified 5W-20) because it has the 5.4L 3V V8, which has a reputation for issues with cam phasers. I'm doing the best I can to keep those oil galleries as clear as possible (the poor oil gallery design in this engine is the real root cause of the cam phaser issues they sometimes experience).

Also, I do 2K to 3K oil changes on the Saturn, also with M1 5W-30 synthetic, simply because it is not driven all that much. It usually goes less than 3K miles per year and the 1.9 L engine is a dirty running engine.

For the other vehicles, I typically do them every 5K at multiples of 5K on the mileage as AdditiveOCD said above.

I change my Rogue at 5000 even though it says 3750 for server service. I run somewhere in between easy and severe.

In general, I use 5000 miles.

I do 3750 conventional or semi syn in my 2008 Xterra per factory spec. It has close to 400k miles on it. I bought it new.

I gave this car to my daughter that resides 100 miles away at school - if you want to know how much I trust it.

It’s my money to flush - for the naysayers.

Back