2ZZ-GE Engine 5w30 vs 5w40 vs 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys I need help with which motor oil.

Choices:
PU 5w30 (@ walmart near me)
PU 5w40 (amazon)
PU Euro 0w40 (amazon), not PU 0w40 SRT the NOACK is too high for my liking.
M1 0w40 (@ walmart near me)

00-05 Toyota Celica GT-S specs 5w30
07-present? Lotus Elise S specs 5w40
05-present? Lotus Exige specs 5w40

The reason I ask is because the difference between the Toyota & Lotus is the ECU.

I rebuilt my 2ZZ-GE in my GT-S about 1k miles ago, bought the car 3k miles ago and even though they are not known to burn oil, this 1 owner GT-S was an oil burner about 0.8 quarts in 2k miles, which wasn't to my liking.

During the rebuild 5/10 oil return holes in the piston were clogged up badly, but the others were fine, and the oil control piston ring wasn't stuck.

Since the rebuild, it doesn't burn any oil during long trips(one 600 mile trip)/short trips/Redlining the engine/low RPM operation.

From what I understand is this engine runs hot enough to cook dino oil. After all the readings at BITOG I understand that a low NOACK oil would serve the best purpose.

All the UOAs on the 2ZZ-GE I found on BITOG seem to show high wear on 5w30, especially 0w30. The only exception being a 10w30 UOA being a good one.

Since Lotus specs 5w40 for the same engine, should I go with PU euro 5w40/PU euro 0w40/M1 0w40 or actually try the new PU 5w30 with it's low NOACK?

I don't mind the cost of the oil necessarily, as i will be doing 7500 miles on the first OCI with a UOA to determine if I should go further or not.

I do intend to keep this car for as long as mechanically possible, In STL,MO it gets up to 110F in summer and down to 0F in winter, and I will most likely put on 3000 miles per year, and my driving conditions vary with redlining the engine at-least once each drive.

Please do explain why on what you recommend.

Thank You.

Mobil 1 0W40 is BMW extended drain certified so it certainly has the best shot at extending intervals and is the best bang for the buck if you shop at Walmart. If there are no mechanical differences between yours and the Lotus go for it but you never know if bypass settings are the same unless you research.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 0W40 is BMW extended drain certified so it certainly has the best shot at extending intervals and is the best bang for the buck if you shop at Walmart. If there are no mechanical differences between yours and the Lotus go for it but you never know if bypass settings are the same unless you research.

As far as the engine goes, there is no difference from my research at celica & lotus forums.

What is the NOACK for M1 0w40?

The 40 is probably asked for by Lotus as they assume the car will be used during more track conditions, and spend more time @ higher RPM than Toyota visioned the Celica doing. You are probably just fine doing a 0w-40 if you want the piece of mind.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
I've got an 04' celica with 115k on it and I've always used a 5w30 full syn. Now I run a 0w30......never uses a drop of oil

GT or GT-S?

Lotus specs a heavier oil, but your car is not a Lotus. They know that owners of those cars are tracking them. I see no reason to run something that thick.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
What is the NOACK for M1 0w40?

An unofficial number that gets posted here is 8.8%. I don't know where that came from, but since the oil meets MB 229.5, it's at least <10%.

The "Yamaha" engine is the same basic engine as used in the Lotus.

Because it is rebuilt, I would use whatever makes you comfortable. If you drive it hard, sure, grab some 0w40. If not, then a quality Syn of 0/5w30 will be fine.

I have the 1ZZ in my MR2. I would personally grab the Toyota (TGMO) 5w30 and be happy. If I was expecting some harder trackday use, yeah, then some Xw40 would go into the engine.

The 5/10 oil passages is disturbing to me. Maybe due to former owner neglect and/or junk oil being used....I find it hard to believe the car was looked after well if the FO did regular OCI with decent oil.

ECU's may matter a bit, but that is just super fine tuning. The engines are close brothers. Taking the car to a track is really the dependent factor IMO.
Lotus is a pure drivers car RWD, 2 seater, radio an option, only a manual, super suspension etc.
The Celica GTS would be a fun little car but is pretty much the opposite, FWD, 4+ seater, all options, auto available, Toyota suspension.

It being an auto, probably means that you will not be tracking this car, go with a full synthetic Xw30.

If it were to be tracked, had a manual transmission then it would see more constant high revs, then consider a full synthetic xw40 to offer that little extra cushion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
The 5/10 oil passages is disturbing to me. Maybe due to former owner neglect and/or junk oil being used....I find it hard to believe the car was looked after well if the FO did regular OCI with decent oil

+1 I think cheap bulk Dino oil was used. The lady took the car to Toyota Dealership for everything. Carfax showed maintenance was up to date though.
Random bolts were rusted most likely being a Chicago car, I replaced with OEM.

Other then that the car had 2 total smaller then dime sized dents and that's it, everything else was in immaculate condition, the paint and interior was immaculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back