2wd 4Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's not off topic (the trailer that is). The TDI pulls 1,000lb like it's not there.

I have one of those HF trailers. It does do what is suggested.

[Hint to anyone buying one of those: it's not bad, but the red paint fades fast, and it will rust out in 10 or 15 years, even if parked. Who cares, right? I found though that I spent quite a bit on lumber to make the floor and sides; and I'm not sure I really saved from buying an all metal one from Tractor Supply or the like. Anyhow, the HF one uses metric bearings; make sure to order spares when you get the trailer. They want like $5/per, while NAPA wanted $20/per. Well, that was 5 years ago; but the point is, check into replacement bearings. Also, my tires are starting to crack after 5 years.]

Problem is, where I store it is nearly 50 yards upslope. I would have to back it up that slope whenever I used it. Plus there is another 50 yards from the road; that 50 yards is dirt road, it does get plowed occasionally (or I get to snow blow it) and it does have a slope to it too. So, I'm not crazy about using it in winter, not with my FWD car, regardless of snow tire usage. If I could find someplace else to park, then perhaps.

The bigger issue (to me) is that I don't have a spare vehicle. Wife's Camry is new, and won't have problems for, what, years? My VW, not so much. Nothing against mechanics, but often they want the car for more than an hour. I can't blame them; they might want a cold engine or it might take longer than anticipated, etc. So, maybe I drop it off the night before, and pick it up a week later? Depending upon what the work required was. [I have a dirt driveway, no garage, and NH weather.]

To drop it off I have to arrange with the wife to pick me up (or bike the 4 miles or 25 miles, depending upon which mechanic it is, to back home). Fine, no way around that. But, once I drop my car off, I can't borrow the wife's car to go back and forth to work as she needs it to drive the kids around; I don't have a good backup plan (there's only two persons in my neck of the woods "going my way" and they tend to not work the same schedule). So, if my car goes down, then I don't go to work for however long to get the car back.

I should point out, I have just one car payment at the moment, and while I could swing another, I'm not enamored with anything out there. I like my diesel-drinking wagon, its long range and whatnot; but to buy an equivalent new one is like $28k.

I get into this argument with myself every other month: buy an old vehicle, assume it requires a grand in upkeep/maintance per year, on top of whatevery car requires; or buy a new car for not a lot more per month (assuming nothing fancy, that is)? I don't work on my cars anymore, between the complications of modern mechanics and the pressures of needing it on a daily basis (plus the closest parts place is at least 30minutes away). But at the same time I'm not sure I want an econobox for my 100mile daily roundtrip...

You bring up a good point about needing to rely on a 3rd car every now and then. When we had our 3rd car, my wife was driving a new-but-unreliable minivan, so we often did have to rely on that extra vehicle. After we swapped out that minivan for the Acura, we found the 3rd car sitting a lot, and decided to move it.

But I probably live "in the city" compared with you, and have co-workers within reasonable distance, so a down car isn't nearly as impactful to us as it sounds like it would be for you.

Yeah, I tossed around for the last few years moving closer to work. More money for the house, plus I'd take a soaking on my current one (lots of stuff there we could moan about--but don't need to bother with). Plus, the kids have been making friends and we as a family have been laying roots, so we're here to stay. At least for a bit longer. Her Camry pulls off at least 30mpg driving the kids around; my TDi gets flogged on the commute and pulls off better than 40.

Anyhow, I've been putting off a spare vehicle for years. Might still, since we're only talking what, maybe two weeks a year that I really *need* one? If only I had a hobby car, be it sports car or whatever, something I kept for emotional reasons--then I'd have that spare! But so far in my life, rationality has more or less overruled that. [Never sure about buying new, but the Civic we just got rid of was 10year/173k; the TDi is 7year/233k -- so we buy new and then drive a long time. Definately not buy new and flip every 3.]

A 4 runner is a quasi luxury SUV. IDK how NH does excise tax but if it's like Maine your plates are going to be a couple hundred bucks a year, which hurts when something is just sitting there.

You'd do better with an explorer/cherokee or even a 4x4 ranger with removable top. I rather liked a Mazda B4000 I had briefly:

DSCN7173.jpg

Don't remember (wife does that stuff these days), but registration is probably couple hundred/year. Inspection is harsh though.

Yer right. But having a 4wd isn't a big deal till ya need it. Then if ya aint got it usually yer skrewed.

You live in NH, need I say more...

Yeah, I know... Then again, knock on wood, in 11 years time, I've only needed one tow. If I had 4wd, that incident and the other 3-4 times might have been much easier. Usually, backing up for more speed, or digging out the car, takes care of the problem. Usually...

4WD isn't a necessity from the sounds of it. If you can get the price down on the 4runner then it'll be great. Low maintenance cost, reliable, and even in 2WD it's a pretty mean machine in snow. << My uncle had one (96'), and it was 2WD it could handle snow easily, over 2 ft. He has since upgraded to an 05' which is 4WD, but he leaves it in 2WD most of the time. Either way it's a beast in the snow as well even in 2WD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back