2AZ-FE engine vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone done the 2AZ-FE engines before? at 1500+ rpms the engine vibrates.

I'm experiencing the same issue as this guy and he seems to have found the solution by getting the timing of the balance shaft right, and even the toyota tech helping him admits that toyota tech themselves at first get this wrong as the toyota manual is not clear, well I followed this link and on 8 of 13 the image I used to line up the balance shaft assemblies. Apparently if you read the rest of that page, they figure out the lining up issue, but I don't completely understand what that guy is saying he did in order to correct the balance shaft timing.

If anyone has experience and can explain/guide me, I would appreciate it. I'm going to my local Toyota Tech engine guru tomorrow to see how he can explain it to me.

Could the confusion stem from the order of the assembly? Looks like the balance shaft assy is done first, then put on the engine, which is upside down. Seems pretty straight forward, but maybe I'm missing something?

Start with inspecting the top engine mount, called the "dogbone", that is 10" long just to the left of the oil filler hole...

look here for pics top of pages 1 and 2 and 4:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5t...ka-dogbone.html

Look behind the plastic discs (that spin) covering the 2 inserts of the actual rubber mount...if either is cracked, you need to replace the entire dogbone bracket with both ($35 for aftermarket, $75 for OEM)...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Start with inspecting the top engine mount, called the "dogbone", that is 10" long just to the left of the oil filler hole...

look here for pics top of pages 1 and 2 and 4:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5t...ka-dogbone.html

Look behind the plastic discs (that spin) covering the 2 inserts of the actual rubber mount...if either is cracked, you need to replace the entire dogbone bracket with both ($35 for aftermarket, $75 for OEM)...
+1 on the dog bone.

In the above thread the OP linked it was definitely the shafts were 180 degrees out. So if you have just rebuilt this you might try that.

It's unclear from the first post, is this a new problem on an untouched engine or is this the result of some engine work?

Yes I rebuilt the 2az-fe for it's oil burning issue.

I had the balance shaft 180 degrees the Toyota repair manual is not only confusing but it's incorrect in its reference of which timing mark, as the the shaft has 3 reference points...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back