05 Chevy 3500 vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about done with this RV but it's a machine so it should be able to get fixed one way or another! Fast forward to now have a extremely bad vibration somewhere around 35 to 40 BUT now at 65 where the previous vibration was is now relatively smooth. Seems like I can feel a small shimmy on occasion at 65 but that could be road. The steering wheel doesn't shake at any point. Now the back story…

Ever since we've had this RV there's been a slight vibration in the rear end, can't feel anything in steering wheel but boy the microwave and TV sure vibrates. First off I thought it was the 7 year old Firestones so changed those out with Primewells. I thought it was better for a while but got the same eventually then got worse. Some time in there I changed the u-joints (all of them) and no change. Time passed and some indications pointed towards the driveshaft so I went and had it balanced. The guy said he couldn't balance those Chevy driveshafts due to them breaking up internally, so a new driveshaft goes on. Still no change..

So the vibrations still occur I decided to do the tire investigating myself. Did some rotations and turns out the outer duals where out of round. Went ahead and got four new tires on the back but could still feel it at 35-40 but had the old tires on the front so go those replaced. I didn't drive it after had the new tires put on. All are BFG duelers. I can say this the vibration is worse at 35-40 now BUT the RV is fully loaded (at least 2k more) which in my mind says drive line related.. maybe.

-Thinking about calling the driveshaft guy back and find out if the front piece and back piece was balanced together or individually, he wasn't there when I picked it up.
-Wheel bearing or caliper hanging up? I'll see what it does when we take off on Sunday. The bearing seems ok.
-Engine or trans mount?

Other than those things can't think of anything else unless it's still a tire issue. I did grill and watch the tech though if they were able to balance. Just a machine and even though it's a Chevy shouldn't be this difficult!

I know how you feel when trying to track down the vibration source. I had a problem like that on a ‘91 Ford Ranger. It was a problem that I created myself. I put coil over heavy duty shocks on the rear and it changed the pinion angle on the rear of the drive shaft. The pinion angle would be where I would be looking.

Just went through a vibration problem with the 18 Titan. It was a left over and had a bad vibration 60-70, turns out the tires were flat spotted. Dealer got 4 new tires, fresh build date and 3 of them wouldn't pass road force balancing. Got 4 more and 2 wouldn't pass road force. 2 more replacements and finally the truck rides smooth.

Can your tire dealer road force balance?

Assuming a carrier bearing checks out ok?

Looks like you have checked all the obvious.. but not the rims yet.

So possibly have the tires 'forced balanced' and checked for run out.

Im not familiar with your RV but if it has rear drums.. i have seen them cause vibration as well.

Had a terrible vibration in my Dakota, turned out to be the differential input roller bearings (where the driveshaft comes in). My mechanic said he was replacing them almost daily on Chevy pickups....

Have you checked all the suspension components? Jack up the front by the lower control arm so the tire is a out an inch or so off the ground. Then use a pry bar under the tire and try to lift the tire while observing the lower ball joint. If the ball joint compresses it needs replacing.

Also check the alignment, basically anything that can keep the tires from wobbling just enough to cause a vibration.

Does the rear diff have an aftermarket cover? Reason I ask is some covers can disrupt the flow of fluid to the pinion bearing.

I also agree to look into the pinion bearings. Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by MParr
I know how you feel when trying to track down the vibration source. I had a problem like that on a ‘91 Ford Ranger. It was a problem that I created myself. I put coil over heavy duty shocks on the rear and it changed the pinion angle on the rear of the drive shaft. The pinion angle would be where I would be looking.

I've heard a few say the rear spring sag over time and causes this. But I checked all the angles and it was less than 3. Going to check again.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Just went through a vibration problem with the 18 Titan. It was a left over and had a bad vibration 60-70, turns out the tires were flat spotted. Dealer got 4 new tires, fresh build date and 3 of them wouldn't pass road force balancing. Got 4 more and 2 wouldn't pass road force. 2 more replacements and finally the truck rides smooth.

Can your tire dealer road force balance?

Assuming a carrier bearing checks out ok?

Not sure what discount tire uses but zohr used the same. If it comes down to it I'll find a place. The carrier bearings didn't have any play when I put the new shaft in. Going to crawl under there and check everything again.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Looks like you have checked all the obvious.. but not the rims yet.

So possibly have the tires 'forced balanced' and checked for run out.

Im not familiar with your RV but if it has rear drums.. i have seen them cause vibration as well.

On the fronts the tech said they had a bit of wobble to them but he's seen it before and was normal. He said it balanced fine. Don't know how factual this is. Thinking about swapping tire locations again. Getting really tired of it. Discs on the rear.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Had a terrible vibration in my Dakota, turned out to be the differential input roller bearings (where the driveshaft comes in). My mechanic said he was replacing them almost daily on Chevy pickups....

It did need a new seal at that point so could be. Going to jack it up and run it next week.

Originally Posted by i6pwr
Have you checked all the suspension components? Jack up the front by the lower control arm so the tire is a out an inch or so off the ground. Then use a pry bar under the tire and try to lift the tire while observing the lower ball joint. If the ball joint compresses it needs replacing.

Also check the alignment, basically anything that can keep the tires from wobbling just enough to cause a vibration.

Does the rear diff have an aftermarket cover? Reason I ask is some covers can disrupt the flow of fluid to the pinion bearing.

I also agree to look into the pinion bearings. Keep us posted.

The ball joints was ok last year but i'll check again. Alignment a few years ago and tracks straight, no pulling. No aftermarket cover, changed the fluid few years ago.

Good suggestions thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Eric Smith

The ball joints was ok last year but i'll check again.

Copy.

Just wanted to add that if the suspension hangs freely, you almost cannot check the lower ball joint, the lower control arm needs to bear the weight.

This isn't going to be a front end issue or a wheel bearing.

Without experiencing the frequency of the vibration myself......Probably not much help. Did you just replace the rear drive shaft? Your driveshaft guy could have at least checked the balance of the original shafts.

Breaking-up internally? There is nothing in these shafts to break-up! I've had several "Chevy" driveshafts balanced & reworked (AAM & Spicer) without issue.

I had seen the rubber plug on AAM aluminum shafts fall out or taken out.....The shaft slowly fills with water & can cause some interesting vibrations. I highly doubt you have aluminum shafts.

Is this a Express Chassis?

Last edited:
Likewise here, we routinely need to re-balance the driveshafts after u-joint replacement and/or damage in our 3500 fleet vans. But they rarely fail before 200k miles in our experience here.

AFAIK all of them were aluminum. I can't imagine breaking one without at least 600 hp!

Express front end with basically a Silverado back half. The front smaller shaft is a Express the back two pieces are basic Silverado. I might of got taken on the shaft but at least this one looks beefier.. looks like one you'd see on rock crawlers. Hard to explain but the stock the slip joint was on the outside this one on the inside.

The driveshaft. I don't see any play so going to rotate the front shaft 180 then play with the angles.

90E7F4EB-243B-42A5-AD55-AA57DFA5FEBB.jpeg

936E7453-CB4A-4D9E-ABF2-A5502827FE54.jpeg

Are your axles bent by chance? Lift the rear and rotate the wheels at maybe 10-15 MPH, observe outside tire for running true.

IME, when a driveshaft is out of balance, the vibration usually comes and goes in a noticeable, repetitive pattern..not all the time, but generally.

Express front end with basically a Silverado back half. The front smaller shaft is a Express the back two pieces are basic Silverado. I might of got taken on the shaft but at least this one looks beefier.. looks like one you'd see on rock crawlers. Hard to explain but the stock the slip joint was on the outside this one on the inside.

You only build/configure a driveshaft like that if you Absolutely have to!!!! Industry standard is to have the Slip Yoke be part of the rear shaft, And the Spline is part of the front shaft (Intermediate shaft in your case). Talk about complicating things for no reason. But I digress....Not so sure we need to concentrate on this.

I'm guessing this frame/chassis was stretched by the Coach builder? And the driveshaft & angles was modified by them? This could have been an issue since new.

Does the ride height affect the vibration? Try unloading the RV (Everything you can......Grey/Black/Fresh water, Mattresses, & anything that isn't bolted down) Take it for a good test drive.
I assume that it doesn't have Air Bags in the rear?

Are your axles bent by chance? Lift the rear and rotate the wheels at maybe 10-15 MPH, observe outside tire for running true.

IME, when a driveshaft is out of balance, the vibration usually comes and goes in a noticeable, repetitive pattern..not all the time, but generally.

It looks like a 11.5" AAM differential.......Has Full Floating Axles.

Originally Posted by clinebarger

I meant to say check the axle flanges, but OK, full float is a different animal.

Does the RV have a steering stabilizer? When you feel the vibration, is there ANY amount of steering wheel feedback...ie, back and forth? What I'm getting at is if by chance a suspension component could be worn, and a steering stabilizer may dampen the back and forth oscillation but not the felt vibration in the vehicle.

Just another thought.

You only build/configure a driveshaft like that if you Absolutely have to!!!! Industry standard is to have the Slip Yoke be part of the rear shaft, And the Spline is part of the front shaft (Intermediate shaft in your case). Talk about complicating things for no reason. But I digress....Not so sure we need to concentrate on this.

I'm guessing this frame/chassis was stretched by the Coach builder? And the driveshaft & angles was modified by them? This could have been an issue since new.

Does the ride height affect the vibration? Try unloading the RV (Everything you can......Grey/Black/Fresh water, Mattresses, & anything that isn't bolted down) Take it for a good test drive.
I assume that it doesn't have Air Bags in the rear?

Unloading all the water and weight I can before tomorrow. I'd guess it was stretched by Jayco or a contractor.. don't know. As far as new they didn't disclose but trust me they wouldn't of known. The angles of the yoke at the rear of the trans is 6 degrees as the first shaft as its setting now. The second, third and rear yoke is 3 degrees. I did rotate the front shaft 180 degrees. I'll know more tomorrow night. No air bags yet.

I meant to say check the axle flanges, but OK, full float is a different animal.

Does the RV have a steering stabilizer? When you feel the vibration, is there ANY amount of steering wheel feedback...ie, back and forth? What I'm getting at is if by chance a suspension component could be worn, and a steering stabilizer may dampen the back and forth oscillation but not the felt vibration in the vehicle.

Just another thought.

It does have a stabilizer I put on. I can't feel anything through the wheel. But I can tell you when I had to hit the brakes hard I thought the RV was going to skip down the road, warped rotors x100. Don't know how this relates to this issue but it's a new problem.

How's the transmission and motor mounts?

I've had some driveline vibrations for years with my Jeep at high speeds, after replacing tires, u-joints, having the driveshafts balanced, and replacing the output bearing on the transfercase, I put new OEM motor mounts and a transmission mount on. While it didn't cure it 100%, it's definitely way better. Maybe 50%. Worn mounts caused the wrong driveline angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back