25 year old Volvo Penta oil help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My buddy has a Albert Rassey 42ft sail boat with the original engine. The engine is 25 years old, Its a 4 cylinder 62 hp non-turbo and is it great running condition.

He is currently running 30wt oil. In the summer time I am sure he is fine with a 30 wt, but in spring and fall it gets a little colder up here. My question is, what other oils are available to him, as 30wt is harder to find up here.

Would esso xd-3 0w30 or 0w40 be suitable in this application? He is impartial to syn or dino, I think syn would be better as he may have some extended OCI due to long journeys and multitude of climates. I am not very familiar with marine engines and oil requirements, so any information would be great.

Thanks

isnt that a Hallberg Rassy? And the engine is a diesel, I suppose?
I think that a 10w40 or a 15w40 diesel oil would be ok. Look for at least VDS-2, API CG-4, ACEA E3 to get on Volvos recommendation. No need for synthetic.

yes it's halberg, thanks for a quick reply. It's not going to hurt his engine to not use a 30wt

Last edited:
Hi,
Saab9-3 - Either of the Esso XD3 lubricants you mention will do an excellent job if you wish to use a synthetic. Esso XD3 lubricants have many Manufacturer's Approvals and an excellent track record as well

The main reason we want to change the oil to a multi viscosity, is that the boat used to be down in Florida, so a 30wt was not an issue with a constant warm climate, but up here we have seasons, so this is the main reason we wanted to change oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back