24valve Golf VR6 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am approaching my scheduled first oil change (due at 5000 miles) and I'm not sure if I should stick to the recommended oil viscosity of 5W40 or try 5W30 or even 10W30. I plan to still use regular oil at least until 10000 miles at which time I may change over to synthetic oil.

The recommended oil change intervals are at 5K, 10K, 20K, 30K, etc...5K I can understand but 10K intervals seem rather long to me...anyone agree?

My car is a 2002 VW GOLF GTI VR6 24V.

VW is one of the few car companies that hasn't capitulated to CAFE oils.

Probably cuz their mpg Averages have always been good anyway.

If VW says to use a 40 weight oil, I would not go thinner.
Even in winter.

In todays motor oil environment I would often be comfortable with going thicker than recommended but never thinner.

Fred...
smile.gif

If it were my car I'd go with 5w40 Delvac 1, and not worry about the 10k intervals, as this oil can handle it.

I'd stick with the 5W40 dino for the 5K change. At the 10K change, you can go with 10K oil change intervals if you run a good synthetic, either 5W40 or 0W40. Personally, I'd stick with the 5K change intervals regardless of what VW says unless you want to do an oil analysis at 5K & 7.5K.

I forgot to mention Mobil 1 0w40, but this oil would also be a good choice (and is easier to find than Delvac 1)

With the oil temps the VR6 runs, you need a good synthetic oil if you plan on 10K drains. I have the same dilemma with my 01 TDI but I am leaning towards Amsoil 10W-30 Diesel oil for 10k drain. back in the 80s VW was reccomending 7.5k oil changes, now it goes with 10K. it makes sense given the advance of the oil technology.
If you do your own oil changes make sure you staple the receipts to the warranty booklet , Vw is anal about honoring their 10yr/100k powertrain warranty.

Integrale,

VW recommends 5w-30/5w-40 oils meeting the VW 502 or ACEA "A3" specifications for their gas engines. The vast majority of these are going to be full synthetics.

If you plan to run a petroleum oil in this engine until you have 10k on it, I'd suggest the Delo 400, 15w-40. It uses a Group II+ baseoil and has decent high temp properties. VW/Audi still recommend
15w-40/20w-50 grades in temps > 5F. The Delo 400 has a high temp/high shear viscosity of > 4.0 Cp, which is thick enough to meet the ACEA A3/B3 specifications ....

At 10k miles, I'd suggest the Mobil 1, 10w-30 ...if you still have oil consumption problems you can go to the M1, 0w-40. But that should not really be necessary in a new motor ....I'd probably avoid the M1, 15w-50 - that will just make the engine run even hotter and you'll take a hit on fuel efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back