VW Golf 10k oil change recommendation

manufacturers tout less upkeep as a selling point like lifetime fluids end up causing issues. if you did almost all highway as i did with my MK IV jetta putting on a thousand miles a week your ok with a better oil, otherwise prolly NOT!! your car your $$$$ how long do you want it to last as many trade OFTEN!! i traded at 200 thou without ANY engine issues + 20 lb on the vacuum gauge i put in!!

On real VW 504/507 or 508 Oil (whichever the manual calls for) it's very likely fine. If you are concerned get a UOA sample run. It's not like they are overly expensive. Be careful about the dealer or shop substituting something else and going full drain interval.

Welcome to BITOG!

You can do 10k if you use the correct oil that meets VW standards. This oil doesn't have to come from the dealer.

10K miles? Personally I think it's a little much on a turbo gasoline direct injection. Especially since you said it's a GTI.

If car is leased and/or you don't plan on driving it for a long, long time, follow factory recommendations.

If it was mine I'd changed it sooner, depending on driving style.

Reactions: JC1
Both my VWs are DGI and turbocharged. They get a mix of local and long distance driving. Me....I change oil and filter every 5000 miles. Seems to me to be cheap insurance with all the money invested in the cars. I tend to keep cars at least ten years, however.

Both our VWs are on the 10k schedule with no issues. UOA on mine (Passat) showed plenty of TBN left at 10k but I am not interested in going further due to warranty. I have not done a UOA yet on the Tiguan. Neither vehicle is short tripped however.

Be sure to use VW approved lubes and if you are wondering the only way to know for your car and usage is do a UOA yourself. No more guessing.

Thanks!
I appreciate your evidence based advice.
I'll do a UOA at 7500 miles and post my response here.

You're right - no more guessing. No more opinions based on assumptions based on opinions.

Both my VWs are DGI and turbocharged. They get a mix of local and long distance driving. Me....I change oil and filter every 5000 miles. Seems to me to be cheap insurance with all the money invested in the cars. I tend to keep cars at least ten years, however.
Thanks.

manufacturers tout less upkeep as a selling point like lifetime fluids end up causing issues. if you did almost all highway as i did with my MK IV jetta putting on a thousand miles a week your ok with a better oil, otherwise prolly NOT!! your car your $$$$ how long do you want it to last as many trade OFTEN!! i traded at 200 thou without ANY engine issues + 20 lb on the vacuum gauge i put in!!
Thanks

On real VW 504/507 or 508 Oil (whichever the manual calls for) it's very likely fine. If you are concerned get a UOA sample run. It's not like they are overly expensive. Be careful about the dealer or shop substituting something else and going full drain interval.
Thanks -Appreciated

IMO, directed injected engines are known for fuel dilution and soot issues, so 10k strictly city miles is too long OCI unless the oil sump/capacity is large. Some models are better than others with soot/dilution so YMMV. If you're doing 50% highway miles you might be OK going 10k on an average capacity (5-6 qt). Do an oil analysis (or a series) and then you will know for sure.

IMO, directed injected engines are known for fuel dilution and soot issues, so 10k strictly city miles is too long OCI unless the oil sump/capacity is large. Some models are better than others with soot/dilution so YMMV. If you're doing 50% highway miles you might be OK going 10k on an average capacity (5-6 qt). Do an oil analysis (or a series) and then you will know for sure.
Again - Sound advice.
A UOA at 7500 miles it is.

Back