Appropriate oil for 2017 Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son recently got a new Golf R (beautiful car by the way). My other son has a 2013 GTI and I parted with a 2009 GTI not to long ago. VW no longer provides free factory maintenance on 2017 cars (have to pay for diesel-gate I guess). My GTI and my sons 2013 got free oil changes for 3 years or 36000 miles. The 13 GTI is required to use VW spec 502 00 (like my old 09 GTI). That's pretty straightforward as there are a number of 5w-40 oils that meet that spec readily available. The Golf R is a little different. It calls for 502, 503 or 504 00 spec oil and says 5w30 or 5w40 oils can be used. I believe the 504 spec is for 5w30 oils. I'm not sure what the 503 spec is for. I was thinking that 5w40 Castrol Ultra or Mobile 1 both which meet the 502 00 spec would be fine (they worked for me without problems in the 09). Is there any benefit to using 5w-30 (504 00 spec) without impacting wear or durability? Are there any newer oils that are working well in the newer VW turbo cars that we should consider?

Last edited:
Known sludgers so got to make sure oil is changed often. Id go with 504 spec oil its less prone to breaking down and sludging up

I'd stick with VW 502, personally. I believe that's a full SAPS oil and is what is recommended for fixed service intervals in the USA. I could be wrong, of course.

robert

I don't think it will matter much unless he is constantly driving it 100+ mph when it comes to wear. However fuel economy should be improved with 5w30. That is more than likely the reason for the change.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I'd stick with VW 502, personally. I believe that's a full SAPS oil and is what is recommended for fixed service intervals in the USA. I could be wrong, of course.

robert

Take this concrete, bullet-proof advice to the bank.

Last edited:
I personally would stick with LL-01 vw 502/505...as I can read it is easily accesible in US of A

VW 504/507 low saps is recommended there only due to less ash in comparison with 502/505 full saps (in case if your car is burning oil)

I recommend Castrol Edge 0W40. It is made in Germany and a PAO synthetic. It's picked up cheap, in stock at most Wal-Marts in 5 quart jugs for $25.XX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back