245-60-18 severe winter rated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some new tires to eventually replace the factory stock Michelins on my 2018 ford explorer xlt 4wd

Looking at spending 145 each or less

Probably An AT type I WANT the severe tire "mountain" rated.
Its a real pain when 2 weeks after I remove the dedicated snows then drive from PDX to Bend and I end up going thru 1 inch of late season mix. I am not too worried about tread rating 45-60k miles would be nice. Which will likely get me about 5-6 years. I rotate the [censored] out of my tires and watch for wear. I usually end up replacing tires due to age.

I also usually run a set of dedicated snow tires on rims. 1500-2500 miles per year

I found some yokohama geolanders that almost ticked all the boxes but am looking for other options they were 157$. But with some rebates down the road they might be the winner.

I would really like the Nokian rotiiva AT but they dont make the size I need.
I have the rotiiva in 265-70-17 on the sierra
I paid 455 for a set of 4 including $75 for install
And another 45 for 4 new tpms(ebay)
The tires were a "NEW" set of 4 but the dot numbers told a interesting story 3 were about 1 year old one was almost 2 years old. But for 335 for the set after i made them take off $50 thanks jet.com. I was happy.

I think that stuff is junk. Geolanders have long been known as junk, and Nokian is overpriced trash in my experience. Get some very solid all-seasons like the Altimax RT43's or similar, or get legit snows. The "All Weather" tires a joke, and the joke's on your wallet and safety.

Last edited:
I've been very happy with the Nokian WR G3 SUV on my Tundra. They're quiet, have good grip in the dry. They've been on the truck year round, and seem to be wearing well.

And have outstanding snow traction. I know I live in Virginia Beach, but I get up to Vermont often, and have taken the truck through several serious (8+ inches) snow events with these tires.

They're great.

Edit: in searching, I can't find them in your size. Sorry...

Last edited:
What about All Season tires that are Severe Winter Service rated? Tire Rack lists 3: Michelin CrossClimate SUV, Kumho Crugen HT51, and BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT

Originally Posted by Astro14
I've been very happy with the Nokian WR G3 SUV on my Tundra. They're quiet, have good grip in the dry. They've been on the truck year round, and seem to be wearing well.

And have outstanding snow traction. I know I live in Virginia Beach, but I get up to Vermont often, and have taken the truck through several serious (8+ inches) snow events with these tires.

They're great.

Edit: in searching, I can't find them in your size. Sorry...

I had the same tire and they are trash. Loud as [censored] (think semi-tanker), poor traction in the rain, poor hydroplaning resistance, and wore out after less than 20K miles (32, snowflake gone). My previous tires were much better (CrossContact LX20's), and lasted over 50K miles. I'd pass on that experience ever again. The RT43's I put on were better than the WRG3 SUV's in every way. Of course, I never drove the WRG3's in snow, because they literally wore out between snow seasons. My LX20's were rock steady in white-out conditions, and went up my driveway (17 degree angle) in snow with less than 2/32 tread left though, so...

oh, to top it off, I left a negative review on Nokian's site and they never posted it/deleted it. I did not curse, nor mention by name any competitor tires. Shady trash. Miss me with that junk.

Last edited:
RT43's are hardly All Terrain (A/T) tires the OP requests. I love my Pilot's Continental CrossContact LX20's, 7-8/32 left after 41K miles... but they are not AT tires, either.

Many A/T tires have the mountain snowflake symbol, BFG A/T KO's for example. This does not make them great on ice or icy roads, not at all, but they are beasts in deep snow.

Originally Posted by CapriRacer
What about All Season tires that are Severe Winter Service rated? Tire Rack lists 3: Michelin CrossClimate SUV, Kumho Crugen HT51, and BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT

These are NOT all seasons, but "All Weather" tires. Big Difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
I've been very happy with the Nokian WR G3 SUV on my Tundra. They're quiet, have good grip in the dry. They've been on the truck year round, and seem to be wearing well.And have outstanding snow traction. I know I live in Virginia Beach, but I get up to Vermont often, and have taken the truck through several serious (8+ inches) snow events with these tires.They're great. Edit: in searching, I can't find them in your size. Sorry...

Had these on an OutBack and they were great, wanted to put them on my RX350 but they did not come in 20" in North America, so I had to go with Toyo.

Originally Posted by Ws6
I think that stuff is junk. Geolanders have long been known as junk, and Nokian is overpriced trash in my experience. Get some very solid all-seasons like the Altimax RT43's or similar, or get legit snows. The "All Weather" tires a joke, and the joke's on your wallet and safety.

More ignorance on display. Must be a full moon......

RT43 is an answer to all our problems
lol.gif

The problem with the rt43 is it is not avalible in the size I need. 245-60-r18 this size is actually a bit of a bummer. Too big for cars too small for trucks?

The big must have is the mountain symbol.
It will likely be some sort of AT but am open to other suggestions.
For example on my sierra the rotiiva AT vs HT
The AT has the symbol. The HT does not.

How about don't change your winter tires out so early ...

Around here Nov 1 ON ... May 1 OFF.

It ALWAYS snows in April .

AND, the General Altimax RT43 comes in a 235/65/18 size, which is as close to a 245/60/18 as you can get ... ever so slightly taller and narrower, with a higher load rating.

$ 137.00 at Tirerack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pdxglocker9mm
The problem with the rt43 is it is not avalible in the size I need. 245-60-r18 this size is actually a bit of a bummer. Too big for cars too small for trucks?

The big must have is the mountain symbol.
It will likely be some sort of AT but am open to other suggestions.
For example on my sierra the rotiiva AT vs HT
The AT has the symbol. The HT does not.

Well, if the AT requirement is lifted, there is also the GY WeatherReady.

Originally Posted by geeman789
How about don't change your winter tires out so early ...

Around here Nov 1 ON ... May 1 OFF.

It ALWAYS snows in April .

AND, the General Altimax RT43 comes in a 235/65/18 size, which is as close to a 245/60/18 as you can get ... ever so slightly taller and narrower, with a higher load rating.

$ 137.00 at Tirerack.

True it does usually snow in april.
Bad news is that the late season snow i was talking about has been mid May.

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by Ws6

More ignorance on display. Must be a full moon......

Ignorance implies a lack of knowledge. I owned them and my findings are as stated. Trash.

get a AT tire in your size with the severe service doesn't seem to exist.

Maybe get some snow chains (or autosocks) and install them on the front wheels.

I've seen 2 ford explorers with chains on the rear wheels this year at Mammoth, the same FWD-based Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back