‘24 civic 2.0 NA motor 0w20 oil - Went from M1 AFE to EP…. Mpg went down?

So I went from M1 Advance Fuel Economy oil to Extended Performance in the same weight and I cannot hit the same MPG I was getting under the AFE oil. I literally drive this car to work and back, same route etc. I was religiously getting 39.5 going to work and 41 coming home. I’m guessing because of the hills…

Anyway, is this because the EP oil is ‘ thicker ‘ or something? Very odd for sure, but one of your guys maybe be able to explain it.

I get that the oil touts better MPG , but this might be an actual instance where you DO gain some MPG. The AFE oil seemed thin, does that mean less wear protection? I plan on following the OLM as stated in the manual. That’s debate aside, that’s why I went to the EP variant versus the AFE flavor.

Thanks!

It’s noise. Nothing else. Wind direction, temperature, how many donut holes you ate for breakfast…. If both are 20 grade you’ll never see maybe more than 0.1 or so long term between them.

My ‘06 Odyssey called for a 5w20 and I used Pennzoil Euro 0w40 and only saw about a 0.3-0.4mpg difference.
So you're saying I should put 0/5w40 in my FA24DIT 🤔

JK But it has been in the 90s F today 🙃

I was about to solidly hold 39.5 and 41 for 7k miles until this oil change. I did get a dip in the winter but it’s slowly picking back up to the higher older MPG I was getting but not there yet

lol there is a reason I posted this here. It boggles me to no end. I’ve been around for a while and read a lot on here. I can’t explain it myself. The car is new at 8000mi so it’s just weird imo
These are all good reasons in the post below. Plus the fact that the energy density of gasoline varies all the time even at the same gas station. I once posted an article here that showed that it varied up to 4% irrespective of summer or winter blends. That right there bumps a lot out into the nether regions.

Yes. Read above. The article I mentioned was attempting to determine real-world gasoline mileage, and they found that this task was extremely difficult to do. it was impossible without using standardized test fuel that had a consistent BTU.
Understood, will read the link when I get home. Thanks!

I have run at least 4 different oils in my 2.0 Civic and have never noticed any difference in fuel efficiency between them. My current average over the past 6000 miles is 47.1 MPG. I use eco mode and I drive it with maximum fuel efficiency in mind. It helps a lot that mine is the lightest version possible (LX coupe)

There really shouldn't be a noticeable difference in mpg between 20 grade oils. Maybe a few tenths of a mpg at best under a controlled test from one end of the viscosity grade to the other, if that. I'm guessing there's some other factor.

I have run at least 4 different oils in my 2.0 Civic and have never noticed any difference in fuel efficiency between them. My current average over the past 6000 miles is 47.1 MPG. I use eco mode and I drive it with maximum fuel efficiency in mind. It helps a lot that mine is the lightest version possible (LX coupe)
Great fuel mileage. I have the sport so that’s a tin can as well lol!
Maybe switch to AFE in next oil change and see if mileage recovers? If what you have observed is repeatable, then EP is very likely to be the culprit.
Yeah it has to be fuel related…
There really shouldn't be a noticeable difference in mpg between 20 grade oils. Maybe a few tenths of a mpg at best under a controlled test from one end of the viscosity grade to the other, if that. I'm guessing there's some other factor.
I know that’s why I came here to post… doesn’t make sense.

Back