2011 Honda Civic 6878mi M1 AFE 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
Those are good points. I don't honestly think M1 GF-4 was that good.

I would prefer more shear stability in a WRX and probably not have used M1 5w30 in that particular engine.

Ultimately you can really only judge an oils performance level by the specifications it meets otherwise you have to rely on unscientific claims and marketing. Some of those may even be true.

I used solid in the sense that M1 has always made a very consistent high quality oil and AFE is part of that. Reliable brand.

I have no explanation what the Al means. It could be nothing at all and just very small wear particles. Or it could be this oil is not doing it's job. I highly doubt the later.

I agree that Mobil 1 has generally been an excellent brand over the years, but their GF-4 5w30 was a notable exception. The SM flavor of 0w40 is in a similar category, it often sheared so much that it came out of the engine thinner than GC! A rude surprise to anyone who thought they were using 40wt.

The specs an oil meets are certainly the best way to judge likely performance, then tweak with manufacturer claims. For instance I think Pennzoil Ultra is probably the best cleaning oil out there, though Edge Ti and M1 EP are notably missing from their claims. I see from the Lubrizol spider charts that Dexos has higher wear requirements than even ACEA A5/B5, nice. I'll look for Dexos oils from now on.

I too am perplexed by the Al, hopefully it clears up in time. I've got AFE in the sump again and two quarts in reserve. I'll wait until I get my next UOA back to make any decisions, which means at least two more fills on AFE 0w20. I may try a thicker oil if the Al doesn't clear up. Leading candidates for thicker oil include an AFE mix of 0w20 & 0w30, M1 5w20, and Edge Ti 5w20. The AFE mix poses a slight risk to my warranty, but represents the fewest variables, keeping the same add-pack but increasing viscosity.

Aluminum is one of the few "wear" metals that will respond positively to thicker oils in my observation. I'm guessing a good 5w30 and aluminum will drop significantly.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Aluminum is one of the few "wear" metals that will respond positively to thicker oils in my observation. I'm guessing a good 5w30 and aluminum will drop significantly.

Hmm. Would you be willing to dig up some UOA evidence for me? I'm not asking for spoon feeding, but I'm wondering if you're seeing that in substantially different engines.

I dug up a bunch of UOAs in this engine for a previous post and I see no correlation between oil weight and Al. For instance Artem used both Amsoil 0w30 and 0w20, the 0w30 stayed above 9 cSt and the 0w20 came back under 7 cSt, Al stayed the same (low).

My previous post:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...503#Post2960503

You posted only 2 uoas in this thread. The wear metals and silicon went down re the 2 uoas you posted in this thread. I think it's because the engine is still shedding break in materials and you think it's because you changed the Air Filter. No need to get exercised re the unchangeable. It is what it is.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway

Hmm. Would you be willing to dig up some UOA evidence for me? I'm not asking for spoon feeding, but I'm wondering if you're seeing that in substantially different engines.

I dug up a bunch of UOAs in this engine for a previous post and I see no correlation between oil weight and Al. For instance Artem used both Amsoil 0w30 and 0w20, the 0w30 stayed above 9 cSt and the 0w20 came back under 7 cSt, Al stayed the same (low).

My previous post:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...503#Post2960503

I first noticed it reviewing Jeep 4.0 threads. Since then I have noticed if aluminum seems high, it will often be lower with a thicker oil in the same engine.

Many engines are fine with either, like you noticed with Artem. But if it is high, I believe there is a good chance it will come down with a thicker oil. If it's normal, then no. JMO from observation. I don't have any specific UOA's in mind but I'll soon be doing another on my Jeep. My last UOA had aluminum at triple the average, and I had used a 5w30 that had sheared to a 5w20 (not good in the Jeep 4.0). My follow up UOA will be a thinned 10w40 and I'm betting the aluminum is going to come down a good bit.

I first noticed it reviewing Jeep 4.0 threads. Since then I have noticed if aluminum seems high, it will often be lower with a thicker oil in the same engine.

Many engines are fine with either, like you noticed with Artem. But if it is high, I believe there is a good chance it will come down with a thicker oil. If it's normal, then no. JMO from observation. I don't have any specific UOA's in mind but I'll soon be doing another on my Jeep. My last UOA had aluminum at triple the average, and I had used a 5w30 that had sheared to a 5w20 (not good in the Jeep 4.0). My follow up UOA will be a thinned 10w40 and I'm betting the aluminum is going to come down a good bit.

I'll take a good look at your upcoming UOA. Though I can hardly think of an engine which is more different from the R18 in my Honda than a 4.0 Jeep.
grin.gif

Like I said, we'll see in a couple of OCIs if the Al doesn't come down, I'll put something thicker in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back