22 ZR2- 1 Year Review

What kind of mileage are you seeing?
Not great. If I'm gentle on the throttle on the highway doing 65-70 I can hit 21-22mpg. Short trips under 20 all the time. It's not a Ridgeline :) (I like the Ridgeline a lot).

Not great. If I'm gentle on the throttle on the highway doing 65-70 I can hit 21-22mpg. Short trips under 20 all the time. It's not a Ridgeline :) (I like the Ridgeline a lot).

The ZR-2 is no doubt superior off-road.

The ridgeline gas savings might be completely wiped out by the 105K timing belt water pump valve service netting cost of ownership as similar, buts is a sweet highway ride, and great snow vehicle.

Id also add after driving the high feature 3.6 for about 20K miles - I beleive its superior in power delivery across the range which isnt surprising as it has much greater control over the valvetrain.

It's rougher though - the belt absorbs that better than the chains.

If I wasn't going off-road now and then, the Ridgeline would likely have been my choice. It's a very well thought out vehicle IMO. I really like the Honda AWD system too for rainy and snowy days when you don't quite need 4WD.

Just hit one year on the ZR2 - 9,500 miles. It's been a joy to drive, on and off-road. I've had it off-road a dozen times in the Pine Barrens, and Brigantine beach in NJ. Hauled a few small couches for some family members and a 75" TV. 90% of the time the bed is empty. It's been very reliable so far other than a faulty 4WD actuator switch, which was a simple fix under warranty.

I like the LGZ 3.6L V6. No oil consumption. Decent power. The 8 speed so far hasn't given me any problems. I did get on one occasion a jerky shift from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4. It hasn't done so since. I now drive it a bit more aggressively and I think that helps. When you're sometimes too light on the throttle I feel it gets tripped up a bit.

The truck drives great. The DSSV's are nice. The interior is the weak spot, however, the plastic surfaces are very easy to clean and I appreciate that.

I ran the OE fill to 3k miles. Put in Amsoil SS. Took the truck to the dealer to get just the tires rotated and the guy ended up changing the oil on my putting in whatever bulk oil they were using. I recently dumped it and put in M1 EP 5w30. Might try ESP 5w30 next.

Plan is to keep it for at least 3 years. I'm always torn with having a truck. They can really come in handy when you need one, but the majority of the time I feel like they're a waste. I work from home so it sits in the driveway all day. It does see its fair share of short trips (
I coated it with Can Coat about 10 months ago. Held up extremely well.

View attachment 142802View attachment 142803View attachment 142804View attachment 142805View attachment 142806View attachment 142807View attachment 142809
I’m up in the far north west jersey. Been looking at these. Any thoughts on the new 4cyl turbo ?

It seems like will be a good engine, but too soon to tell. It's been used in the Silverado. I think the Gen 3 will be better in every way to the Gen 2 that I have. I have a 22 so most of the issues have been worked out. The LGZ is a good engine (3.6L). I wouldn't go with the Duramax if you're looking at the Gen2's.

Last edited:
It seems like will be a good engine, but too soon to tell. It's been used in the Silverado. I think the Gen 3 will be better in every way to the Gen 2 that I have. I have a 22 so most of the issues have been worked out. The LGZ is a good engine (3.6L). I wouldn't go with the Duramax if you're looking at the Gen2's.
Buster - sorry I missed this thread - That was really my 1st choice B4 the Rubicon but after getting a new utility trailer life goes on … Just never found a deal - Well - the 2023 Canyon AT-4 will be hard to ignore …

Buster - sorry I missed this thread - That was really my 1st choice B4 the Rubicon but after getting a new utility trailer life goes on … Just never found a deal - Well - the 2023 Canyon AT-4 will be hard to ignore …
The 23's are really nice. Especially the AT-4. (y)

5953B685-259B-428D-BB49-BE70EAC3B1D1.jpeg

Just hit 20k miles last month.

Oil changed every 5k (currently HPL PP 5w30)
Differential fluid changed - Mobil 1 75w90
Air Filter (AC Delco)
Cabin Air Filter (AC Delco)

Only thing that has gone wrong so far was a faulty 4wd actuator switch that failed.

I get the rough first 1-2 shift in the morning otherwise no issues with the AT knock on wood. Premium fuel 100% completely eliminated the occasional rough 3-1 or 2-1 downshift. I've used only 91 and 93 the last 5k miles and zero incidents.

Will likely have the ATF changed a bit on the early side (30k) just as a preventative measure due to known shudder issues in this unit.

If I decide to trade it in at some point whoever gets it will have a very well maintained vehicle.

Back