.22 kit for a .45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of purchasing a new 45 handgun, probably some kind of 1911 type - I read somewhere that you can get a .22 "adaptor" for it so you can practice self-defense with the pistol while saving a ton on money.

Is this true?
Are they safe?
Can anyone make some recommendations on brand/model etc?

Read up on them... Some foul or jam as I recall. .22 is dirtier than centerfire.

Was just looking at the site - interesting, it's a Mk III. I own a 1970 Lincoln Mk III...
smile.gif

For decades, Colt offered a .22 LR conversion kit for their Gov't Model automatics. Years ago I fired one a good bit, on an honst-to-goodness Colt .38 Super frame. It worked very well, & was accurat too- though nowhere near as accurate as a good target pistol like, say, a S&W 41.

I've no idea about the ones available now, or if they have the old Colt-styl floating chamber that increased recoil for more realistic practice. But rest assured that the idea is sound and has a long successful history.

This month's Shooting Times has an article on these conversions and how to get them running keep them running smoothly. A must read if you have or are thinking about such a conversion.

Ed

Sigarms has a nifty kit for all their P series pistols if you are interested in a double action pistol. I made a Christmas purchase for the .22 conversion for my P220 .45 ACP, but have not used it yet. A friend purchased a .22 conversion for his P229 in 40 S&W and he is quite happy with it. He made his purchase before I made mine and it was on the basis of his recommendation (and a sale by Sigarms) that I purchased one for my pistol.

The kit comes with a replacement slide, barrel and single magazine in a fitted plastic carrying case. Replacing the slide and barrel is very simple on the Sig.

Look at Advantage Arms for the kit. A lot of the cheaper kits by Ciener, Kimber, and others do not have a last round lock open feature like these do. I have a friend that has one for his 1911 and his Glock 45, and both run like a top on everything but cheap Remington bulk ammo, which even my dedicated 22lr Beretta hates.

I shoot at a pistol match every month. I've seen a aweful lot of .22 conversion kits. Seen lots of problems with them too.

After all my research I bought a Ruger MkII (used) for shooting .22LR. It ain't very pretty or tactical but it just works.

BSW

I got a Kimber .22 conversion for my Kimber 45 and it works great...although it does not lock the slide open after the last rd is fired, that hasn't been an issue during practice and plinking but would be nice if it did. Mine runs fine on Remington golden bullets and CCI high velocity ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back