'22 Genesis G70

I have a 2022 Genesis G70 2.0T RWD that I am going to be tuning in the coming weeks. I am wondering if I should step up an oil grade? I was planning on using Amsoil. Solely because of the added turbocharger protection. They claim on their site "Protects turbochargers 72% better than required2 by the GM dexos1 Gen 2 specification." Since the tune is going to add more stress to the turbo than just about anything else, I thought it couldn't hurt. The car calls for 0w-30 but I wonder if an 0w-40 may be better suited. I also plan on changing the rear diff with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90. At 30k miles or so I am going to swap the trans fluid out with Amsoil as well. I'm going to put on a larger intercooler next month I think. I am a little skeptical of the quality of the piece so I have to do some more digging. Eventually I want to add an oil catch can but that's lower on my list. I have no intention on adding any kind of intake. I don't feel the added flow is worth over $300. The only things I've done to the car so far are install sound deadening in the hood, doors, and trunk and tinted the windshield. This Florida sun is wicked.

Tune: https://burgertuning.com/collections/kia-hyundai/products/kia-stinger-jb4
Plugs: https://burgertuning.com/collection...-plugs-for-kia-hyundai?variant=41743182594222
Intercooler: https://sharkracing.com/2018-g70-2-0-performance-intercooler-kit/

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpeg
    IMG_2232.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2233.jpeg
    IMG_2233.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2234.jpeg
    IMG_2234.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_2238.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2235.jpeg
    IMG_2235.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 97
Nice looking ride! I would step up to 0W-40 myself...I did the same when I tuned my TourX. If I had to trade it in on something tomorrow, the GV70 would certainly be on my short list of cars to drive.

Genesis won't let me see the US site, but wouldn't you be further ahead to just get the 3.3L turbo, and have a factory warranty with all the power you may need?
This is true. The only way I could've done that is to buy a used one and I am spoiled and only like new. Just to be straight lol. And I couldn't afford the 3.3L out the door. Besides, I would've wanted to tune that one just the same! They're getting crazy numbers out of that 3.3L with a tune. And while every bit of power is nice, it's only ever truly used in a handful of situations. For day to day driving, I'll take the higher MPG of the 2.0L and leave the tune set to factory. When I wanna play, I'll burn some more gas and turn the tune on. Best of both worlds.

And, from the many forums I've read, the JB4 does not void warranty because it does not actually alter the car. Everything is done post-ECU, the actual tuning of the car is left unchanged in its original form. The device can be removed in less than 5mins if it has to go to the dealer. There are no trails left in the system that the JB4 was ever in place. It is undetectable. So if a part does fail, per the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, the burden would be on them legally to prove that I caused it. And there would be no way for them to do so.

JB4 by Burger Motorsports has been around for a long time and they have products that span multiple makes and models. I trust these guys.

Last edited:
Nice looking ride! I would step up to 0W-40 myself...I did the same when I tuned my TourX. If I had to trade it in on something tomorrow, the GV70 would certainly be on my short list of cars to drive.
Yea I have pretty much convinced myself to step up a grade. I live in Florida so there is no concern on temperatures. I can't decide on if I should run Amsoil and run it longer or run Mobil 1 for shorter durations. From a labor perspective, I vote the former. Financially, more frequent Mobil 1 is probably smarter? It's a 6 quart sump and 6 quarts of Amsoil would run me at least $75. Probably break about even if I ran the Amsoil twice as long but I don't think I'd do that. I'd have to start sending in samples to track it and there is more expense. Tough call. Though I should probably send in samples anyways to track wear from the tune.

I love the interior of the GV70 and I like the front and rear but there is something about the side profile that I just don't like. It's too rounded off for me. Though, my G70 is pretty rounded off too but I feel like it has more character. The GV70 kinda blends in IMO. The GV80 on the other hand really stands out in a crowd. I'll probably pick one of those up coming off lease when the wife starts popping out babies.

Last edited:
Yea I have pretty much convinced myself to step up a grade. I live in Florida so there is no concern on temperatures. I can't decide on if I should run Amsoil and run it longer or run Mobil 1 for shorter durations. From a labor perspective, I vote the former. Financially, more frequent Mobil 1 is probably smarter? It's a 6 quart sump and 6 quarts of Amsoil would run me at least $75. Probably break about even if I ran the Amsoil twice as long but I don't think I'd do that. I'd have to start sending in samples to track it and there is more expense. Tough call. Though I should probably send in samples anyways to track wear from the tune.

I love the interior of the GV70 and I like the front and rear but there is something about the side profile that I just don't like. It's too rounded off for me. Though, my G70 is pretty rounded off too but I feel like it has more character. The GV70 kinda blends in IMO. The GV80 on the other hand really stands out in a crowd. I'll probably pick one of those up coming off lease when the wife starts popping out babies.

I run whatever Euro-certified 0W-40 I can find on sale for the interval specified by the vehicle computer. So I have run Mobil, Penn, Castrol, really whichever I can find cheapest at the time. I run that in everything I have ever owned without a warranty.

Seeing that you are in FL, I would run 5w-40 FWIW.

I run whatever Euro-certified 0W-40 I can find on sale for the interval specified by the vehicle computer. So I have run Mobil, Penn, Castrol, really whichever I can find cheapest at the time. I run that in everything I have ever owned without a warranty.

Seeing that you are in FL, I would run 5w-40 FWIW.
Any reason why 0w40 wouldn't work?

@Pablo Will Amsoil ATF work in this car? Manual states:
GS ATF SP-IV-RR Genesis/Hyundai genuine ATF SP-IV-RR or other brands meeting the above specification.

Cool ride! Out of curiosity, isn't this already a quiet ride since it's intended to be a premium vehicle? If so, how's the factory sound deadening and did adding more to that even make any difference?

Cool ride! Out of curiosity, isn't this already a quiet ride since it's intended to be a premium vehicle? If so, how's the factory sound deadening and did adding more to that even make any difference?
No doubt the ride was already pretty hushed. But I wanted it even more quiet. I also have found that adding some Kilmat 80mil improves the audio system. I didn't go as crazy as some do. Some people remove the seats and the carpet and do the entire floor. That's overkill. I also like that it adds some weight to the doors, which adds a sense of quality. The opening and closing sound is much more satisfying too. That may make we weird but the way the doors sound is something I look at when shopping. I dinged Genesis on a QA survey I was sent for it, they need to improve it at baseline. So anyways, yea I think it makes a difference. In multiple ways.

Tuning a Hyundai motor? Seems like you enjoy living on the edge.

BTW..Regardless of what the internet tells you automakers by in large can determine if you were* tuned (piggyback or bench unlock). The dealership may not figure it out, but more often than not there is data for corporate to look at if they want it and obviously only if the tune impacts the warrantied part.

*Were vs Are. Big difference.

Cool. I find that with modern cars, it's diminishing returns adding sound deadening the traditional way to get rid of road noise. You'll definitely improve sound quality and the door slam "thud" feel by deadening the doors, but I didn't find it improves road noise all that much as compared to cars from the 90's or 00's.

Adding weight via dampening material only seems to go so far before other factors become dominant requiring different solutions that can only be provided at the OE level. Eg dual pane glass, active vibration dampers, hydraulic motor mounts, felt wheel well liners, etc...

Beautiful car.

Ahhhh the days of tuning my ride. Fond memories.

I would step up to a Euro approved oil. One with approvals like, VW504.00, MB229.51... Each having HT/HS of ~3.5.

Have fun
Be careful
Good luck
Thanks for the recommendation. I have avoided considering the Euro oils because I did not find one that meets API SP. Which the manual calls for. I was planning on running Amsoil XL 10w40.

Cool. I find that with modern cars, it's diminishing returns adding sound deadening the traditional way to get rid of road noise. You'll definitely improve sound quality and the door slam "thud" feel by deadening the doors, but I didn't find it improves road noise all that much as compared to cars from the 90's or 00's.

Adding weight via dampening material only seems to go so far before other factors become dominant requiring different solutions that can only be provided at the OE level. Eg dual pane glass, active vibration dampers, hydraulic motor mounts, felt wheel well liners, etc...
I couldn't agree more. I wish manufacturers provided an Option that you could select that would add sound deadening. My G70 has laminated windshield and front doors, the rears are single pane. I should have the option to add the rears IMO (getting the front two laminated was part of an add-on package, called the Prestige package, the base has single pane all around). They could come up with some way to add a Sound Deadening Package that people like me can choose if we want to spend the extra cash. I would do it for sure. I think it's a shame they don't do more for the insides of the doors. They're just hollow shells with nothing in them. They have so much room for improvement. I'm willing to pay if they'll do the work on the assembly line. It didn't improve road noise, you're correct. I considered pulling the wheel well liners and doing the inside of the panel but that's just too much work. It's as good as it's going to get. Maybe they'll improve for the next gen G70. Not that this one is bad by any means....

Back